[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin question

Given that I recently watched, UnSung, I have a question.........Everybodies knows that Shelly Berger was/still is the manager of the Temptations...So I am curious, Who was assigned to manage David Ruffin? Cause he sued ITM to be released from his contract..I think...I wonder what there opinion of him!!!

Right after seeing Unsung I ordered 20th Century Masters/ The Best Of David Ruffin Millennium Collection;
    it came today; breath takingly amazing tracks.. can't believe I never bothered to get this before

Giving it a shot in the dark....

Maybe...Van McCoy - hey, he was atleast the mastermind behind David's 1975-1977 batch of hits - Walk Away From Love, Heavy Love, On and Off, Everything's Coming Up Love, You're My Peace of Mind - nope, can't mistaken that McCoy sound!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Given that I recently watched, UnSung, I have a question.........Everybodies knows that Shelly Berger was/still is the manager of the Temptations...So I am curious, Who was assigned to manage David Ruffin? Cause he sued ITM to be released from his contract..I think...I wonder what there opinion of him!!!
    I'm tempted. Any tracks that particularly stood out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Right after seeing Unsung I ordered 20th Century Masters/ The Best Of David Ruffin Millennium Collection;
    it came today; breath takingly amazing tracks.. can't believe I never bothered to get this before
    Jimi, were you lucky enough to get a copy of Hip-O's "David" the expanded version of his unreleased album? It sold out quickly. It's an outstanding release. His version of "Rainy Night in Georgia" is, if anything, even more heartbreaking than Brook Benton's. I loved him on this type of song. A really great release, if you haven't heard it.

RossHolloway Guest
    Well the good news is that the "David" album can still be purchased on Itunes!

breath takingly amazing tracks.. can't believe I never bothered to get this before.

Check out the compete albums of the period. A picture of Souls evolution.

I got 2 copies of David's unreleased cd [[One sealed). Being a fan, I love it. I forget which song, but there's one on there sounds like Jr. Walker on sax. I'll have to go back to see. I also noticed that David's Vol. 2 is going for $400.00 on Amazon new and $343.00 used. I wonder if they will sell at those prices?
    Last edited by caliluv; 03-31-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    His version of "Rainy Night in Georgia" is, if anything, even more heartbreaking than Brook Benton's.

To me it's the best version I've ever heard. And I love that song !

I agree that this is very nice. My preference is for the Original's cover from Naturally Together, which coincidentally shares the same backing track. This was my favorite of the Original's eight studio albums for Motown.

Chuck Jackson also included a great cover on his Tear Drops Keep Falling album. He was so under rated and under promoted while at Motown.The backing track sounds similar to the two above and could probably be the same, but mixed quite differently.
    Last edited by nabob; 03-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.

I have that Originals LP but didn't remember their version. They were a great group and I do like this version as well. This may just be such a great song that no one could sing it badly! [[Anyway, I hope if someone has heard a version by Leonard Nimoy or Lynda Carter that they keep it to themselves...!)

The Originals seem to have been neglected by the CD era even after all this time. Maybe they're due for a "Lost and Found" or "Complete Albums" series. Hip-O, Ace, are you listening?

Another interesting sidelight is that Georgia seems to have more than its share of great songs devoted to it. "Midnight Train," "On My Mind," and "Rainy Night" are all great songs. Other than Texas and California, I wonder what other states have many great songs with its name in the title. Maybe a thread for another day.

No Originals on CD ......... surely not .........
    Attachment 4682
    Attachment 4683

plus one of their original 70's LP's has been remastered & put out on CD.

Regarding David, the Unreleased, I agree that his version of Rainy Night in Georgia is tops. Also, I feel the same way about Heaven Help us All over Stevie and everyone else that has done that great Ron Miller song.

To whom it may concern:

I do not think that the topic of this conversation was the Originals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please accept my apology for opening this can of worms.

QUESTION!!!! Can the "fans of DAvid" Help rationalize his thinking in "re-signing" with Motown in 1970? HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    David had his own manager. When he became a Temptations manager, he had already signed with Motown with the intent of becoming a solo artist [[if I recall correctly, this happened after some of the Detroit labels, mainly Tri-Phi, Anna and Harvey, were absorbed by Motown). By the time David was scheduled to record his first solo record, Eldridge Bryant was fired from the Temptations and they promptly asked David, who wanted to join anyways, to become the new Temptation to which he accepted.

supremester Guest
    There was no reason for David to not re-sign with Motown. They had the personnel to work magic for him and would put up with his shenanigans - many labels - even for one of the greatest soulsters in history, would have. Personally, I'd have given him Carte Blanche but with pleadings for therapy.

I didn't know he sued ITM but, once I learned how little in way of performance fees and royalties would up with the artist, I would have as well. I think if he had brought legal action to the group of artists and they negotiated as a collective unit, they may have made some real money. In early 1980's, Dennis Edwards needed money to get an infected tooth tended to. Unconscionable.

FYI:M My fave David track solo: Each Day Is A Lifetime.

@supremester

In my honest opinion...There is such a thing called "bad contracts". That is wht the individual Motown singers signed!!!!

@midnightman...Mr. Ruffin may of had a manager before the tempts, but I who was this person after the Temps????I feel that he was solo, in the purest sense of the word!!!!