[REMOVE ADS]

UNSUNG will feature MARVELETTES

Unsung – TV One returns with eight new episodes of its widely acclaimed and NAACP Image Award-nominated bio series Unsung in 4th quarter 2012 and 16 new episodes beginning in 1st quarter 2013.This NAACP Image Award-winning series of one-hour biography specials celebrates the lives and careers of successful artists or groups who, despite great talent, over the years have been under-recognized or under-appreciated. Unsung reveals the multiple factors that have kept these artists from achieving the iconic commercial status they deserved. And, in the process, these specials “sing” the praises and celebrate the artistry that has kept fellow artists and fans talking about them for years. TV One just completed its highest-rated season ever of Unsung on March 12, and, prior to 4th quarter, will debut eight new episodes beginning in June 2012, including Sly Stone, Gerald Levert, the Marvelettes, Kool Moe Dee, Angela Bofil, Arrested Development and Confunkshun. A. Smith & Co. produces Unsung for TV One.

Great, thx.

Sounds great, don't think I'll care for the rap though. However, Sly Stone, Marvelettes, and Angela Bofill long deserving, still waiting for Patrice Rushen and Kashif, the Deele and perhaps a full Switch episode [[more than just the few minutes of mentioning in the DeBarge ep) would be just as nice.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 03-21-2012 at 01:33 PM.

I had always wondered what happened to the unsungs that were planned. I guess they were saving them for next season...

Wonderful news about the Marvelettes!!!!! The concept of this show is amazing and my gut feeling is that it is not terribly expensive to produce since it mainly features clips that have been around already and interviews with family members, etc. So I hope it not only continues but perhaps makes it on to a major network for even more exposure.

And I wonder how many "amens" I would get on here if I were to suggest that a certain "other" group with "ettes" in its name might also be worthy of being featured?

The Velvelettes would be a FABULOUS choice...as would The Andantes!!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Unsung – TV One returns with eight new episodes of its widely acclaimed and NAACP Image Award-nominated bio series Unsung in 4th quarter 2012 and 16 new episodes beginning in 1st quarter 2013.This NAACP Image Award-winning series of one-hour biography specials celebrates the lives and careers of successful artists or groups who, despite great talent, over the years have been under-recognized or under-appreciated. Unsung reveals the multiple factors that have kept these artists from achieving the iconic commercial status they deserved. And, in the process, these specials “sing” the praises and celebrate the artistry that has kept fellow artists and fans talking about them for years. TV One just completed its highest-rated season ever of Unsung on March 12, and, prior to 4th quarter, will debut eight new episodes beginning in June 2012, including Sly Stone, Gerald Levert, the Marvelettes, Kool Moe Dee, Angela Bofil, Arrested Development and Confunkshun. A. Smith & Co. produces Unsung for TV One.

Great news about the Marvelettes Milven.

Thank you,

Roberta

About time.

i am thrilled the Marvelettes are getting an hour show just for them considering the way Motown ignored them when the other groups started hitting. Hopefully Catherine will get some real airtime on the history of the Marvelettes, and maybe some interviews prior to Gladys passing.

Sly stone should be another great show....

I don't feel Motown totally ignored the Marvelettes. They were consistent and exciting throughout the 60's. They had a lot of charted singles. Gladys Horton left the group and of course Wanda Young developed mental issues. They were not a huge POP group but a huge R&B sensation with a loyal following. I still don't know why R&B groups don't get the same respect as POP groups. Do we still respect country acts that don't crossover to pop???? Up until the 1980's , the Marvelettes were still the the number 3 or 4 girl group of all times.

Berry Gordy gave their name away...
    Smokey Robinson completely disrespected original lead singer Gladys Horton in public..
    the group, that gave Motown it's first #1 Billboard pop single, were totally ignored on MOTOWN 25..
    need I go on?..
    maybe you feel Motown didn't totally ignore the Marvelettes, good for you...how do/did The Marvelettes feel?

I would say Motown totally ignored The Veleveletts, Carolyn Crawford people who never had an album. Marvelettes kept giving us hits down through the years like "My Baby Must Be Magician", "Young and in Love" and "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game". Even their very last LP charted.

As far as not inviting the to Motown 25? What record company really keeps up with their artists when they are no longer under contract? That show was on many many years ago, but I do remember seeing old clips of the Marvelettes shown. Nobody really know about the name give away. I heard it was Smokey, not Mr. Gordy, But the group had broken up for years when they name was sold. [[Not saying that was okay to do)

I just get miffed when I hear people say that The Marvelettes were not a successful recording group, because they were. They had Many hits and they were international. No they were not as big as the Supremes, but nobody was~

The sad thing about the group is that it has taken all these years for Katherine Anderson and Gladys to know what a huge impact they had made on the music business. They really didn't know until recent times. Although Motown put out a ton of hit records, they were still a small company and could only do but so much, maybe Mr. Gordy wanted to achieve too many things, but through it all The Marvelettes have left an impact, now if we can only get them inducted into the RRHOF!
    Last edited by loveblind; 03-27-2012 at 09:59 PM.