[REMOVE ADS]

Was david ruffin on "the way you do the things you do?"

I've always wondered that. They kicked Al Bryant out of the group on New Year's Eve and the session was 10 days later. Did they bring David into the group in time to record this song or were there only 4 Tempts present at Hitsville on January 9, 1964?

RossHolloway Guest
    Yes, according to Volume 4 of TCMS on page 20 it states that David Ruffin had just been added to the group, replacing Elbridge "Al" Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Yes, according to Volume 4 of TCMS on page 20 it states that David Ruffin had just been added to the group, replacing Elbridge "Al" Bryant.
    And if you listen to a good stereo mix of TWYDTTYD, you can hear David singing tenor in the background.

I heard that he, David Ruffin is on that record, but I also heard that Al Bryant was there when they recorded it and was on it. I would not believe that story about Al being kicked out of the group on New Year's Eve 1964. It did make for an interesting scene in the movie,but I would not put money on it as fact.

David Ruffin had said that was first chart record he ever was on, and that he just stared at the charts watchin it rise. It was the National charts he was talkin about.

Yes david was on it,i would venture that al got kicked out somewhere between the apollo show just before christmas[63]and the christmas show at the fox.