[REMOVE ADS]

Love Talk Mary Wilson WOW!

Id never seen this--one of her best--was this recorded for her second album? Could have been a smash.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCf1...eature=related

Could have been... if... and if...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Id never seen this--one of her best--was this recorded for her second album? Could have been a smash.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyCf1...eature=related
    Hey Luke, I have a much better version of that clip, but yes "Love Talk" could have hit given just a bit of promotion. It was produced by Gus Dudgeon. These songs were great and perfect for Mary. The demo's she recorded for Atlantic Records were even better in my opinion.

Whats really sad about the solo career of Mary Wilson is that she never had a major hit record on her own [[which Im sure she could have) but at least she has a body of work amongst her fans that we can enjoy. I have always felt that
    the song that would have been her breakout song would have been U. I wish she could have had a few hits like David Ruffin did.

Well Stephanie there are several things that make up a hit record; Timing, good song [[Lyrics and beat), sometimes publicity and well.............. you know the last one.

Shes recorded some wonderful songs and her voice has just kept getting better. Her stage presence too-charismatic. Even without a solo hit she keeps expanding her talent-Lena Horne, Sophisticated Ladies, Here's to Life...

Shes recorded some wonderful songs and her voice has just kept getting better. Her stage presence too-charismatic. Even without a solo hit she keeps expanding her talent-Lena Horne, Sophisticated Ladies, Here's to Life...
    She's one of the very few people I know of that may not have had "solo" hits, but can get booked around the World for concerts some 50 years from when she started singing professionally.

It is quite amazing and a tribute to Mary's perseverance and talent. Shes has more gigs and attention than many people who have had hits!!

It is quite amazing and a tribute to Mary's perseverance and talent. Shes has more gigs and attention than many people who have had hits!!
    She did 100 concerts in 2011 while her old clothes were doing their own tour! hehehehehehehe.....! You have to love it. There is a lesson in there for all of us.

supremester Guest
    You say that about everything Mary records. Shoulda, coulda woulda been a hit. Even a hot mess like Touch or the banal Life's Been Good To Me lol . Love Talk is a mediocre song with no hook, performed well by Mary vocally but the video is weak and the song, a nothing. No amount of promotion would help it and no record company would waste it's efforts on such a weakling. You don't see what the rest of the world does: Mary has a very very strong, but odd voice and it ONLY works on ballads and the few pop songs she doesn't force. Additionally, while she certainly is pretty, her performance style isn't anything special and is to many like myself, quite annoying when she starts doing bits stolen from Gladys and Tina. Lost hits? I think there's a few: Don't let The Tear Drops, One Night With You [[with a slightly softened vocal) that's all I can think of. Walk The Line has that sound of Mary's that you like but 99.99999% of the public [[and record execs) do not. She's not pop star material - sadly, since she tried so hard to be one. She's talented, but has a very, very narrow niche. I hope her Lena Horne show picks up some steam.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hey Luke, I have a much better version of that clip, but yes "Love Talk" could have hit given just a bit of promotion. It was produced by Gus Dudgeon. These songs were great and perfect for Mary. The demo's she recorded for Atlantic Records were even better in my opinion.

One of the enduring sadnesses of Motown is what happened to the two original Supremes, Florence and Mary. The albums released by either of them just werent up to par or hit material. Mary certainly had the look to be successful but I think more than anything, her management sunk her. The best thing she did was go back to school and drop a lot of the Supremes thing. It is hard to accept that Scherrie and Lynda and Jean sold more records than Mary after the Supremes ended ~ shouldn't really have turned out that way.

Gordy's whole vision for The Supremes was based on his certainty that Diane would be the "shoe horn" which would allow his company to cross over from R&B into the mainstream pop realm, and he was entirely correct in this. Her thin voice [[once they had worked on it) had the exact middle-of-the-road timbre for it and all it took was handing her over to HDH and off they went. The fact that Mary and Flo were beautiful and immensely talented only served in Gordy's mind to give Diane visual and vocal support, and it was easier to promote a group for hundreds of reasons. [[Can you see the skinny 20-year-old Diane successfully standing by herself on a stage? I certainly can't.) Gordy dismissed the fact that, once the act had been firmly established on the charts, he could easily have catapulted them to even greater heights by utilizing Mary's and Flo's talents rather then by phasing them out. He could easily have featured them on more leads and three-part harmonies on album cuts, and especially in live performance, while retaining Diane as lead on the singles. But then, that wasn't his vision, either. From the beginning, he was grooming Diane as an eventual solo act and everyone knew that. Mary and Flo, to him, were just accessories and everyone knew that as well. Most of us have worked for bosses whose visions don't match ours and who, for better or for worse, keep some perfectly capable employees in boxes for reasons that have nothing to do with job performance. That's life, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Well Stephanie there are several things that make up a hit record; Timing, good song [[Lyrics and beat), sometimes publicity and well.............. you know the last one.
    Good singing perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It is hard to accept that Scherrie and Lynda and Jean sold more records than Mary after the Supremes ended ~ shouldn't really have turned out that way.
    Are you sure of that? What are the figures?

Her perseverance is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    Are you sure of that? What are the figures?
    He is not sure of that or much of anything else. He likes to make up things to the negative when it comes to Mary Wilson.
    Rob,how many copies did the "Walk the Line" CD sell? How about Mary's "I Am Changing" or the "Up Close" CD's sell?

supremester Guest
    You have no idea how many people say the same thing about YOU....ironic, isn't it????? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

He is not sure of that or much of anything else. He likes to make up things to the negative when it comes to Mary Wilson.
    Rob,how many copies did the "Walk the Line" CD sell? How about Mary's "I Am Changing" or the "Up Close" CD's sell?

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    You have no idea how many people say the same thing about YOU....ironic, isn't it????? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Ask me how much I care about you hardcore Diane Ross fans talking about me. I am very capable of giving you a PG rated response........hehehehehehehe....!

She did 100 concerts in 2011
    One example:*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBMC-JgCUs

honest man Guest
    OMG can't believe i missed that show, i was in Bristol that day,LOL.