Jeez...29 years after the 1983 event it's still being chewed on? I have never posted my take on this but I will do so now, and only one time.

The only people who saw the ridiculous incident were those in attendance. I was not there so this is all purely conjecture on my part.

From all accounts, Diane was quite ill with the flu or some such and was disoriented from it to a degree, in addition to having a history of taking unrehearsed star turns even when she was healthy. Mary admits she and Cindy had formulated a "contingency plan" to deviate from what had been rehearsed in case Diane herself deviated from what had been rehearsed. Diane apparently did deviate so Mary also deviated and then everything went all to hell. Two wrongs have never made a right after all.

To make matters worse, many in attendance had been waiting and, dare I say, hoping that some kind of discord would transpire and when it did they ate it up and then fed the leftovers to the media, after seasoning them up no doubt. Mary then took the ball and ran with it in Dreamgirl, reportedly at the direction of the publisher, who was looking for dirt and would not have sent the book to press without it. Had she in fact wanted to take the high road and at least balance the good girl/bad girl equation and address her own shortcomings rather than depicting herself solely as a victim, Mary would probably have lost the book deal at a time when she was having personal and financial difficulties.

There's definitely no heroine in this, but, sadly, there are two victims who no doubt both regret their behavior and would go back and do it all differently if they could. Neither wishes to revisit it [[who would?) and both have made that abundantly clear. It's us, the fans who claim to love these ladies, who have kept the pot boiling for nearly thirty years and no doubt will keep it boiling for the next thirty.

Even though it might finally quiet this tempest in a teapot, there will never be a Supremes reunion — at least not in a public performance. It's too bad the only people who seem to have moved on are the two actual participants.