[REMOVE ADS]

Going down for the third time....awesome

Going down for the third time is an awesome track one of the supremes finest uptempo tracks ever. Diana is superb on delivering a relentless vocal, the songs starts off with both Flo and Mary singing save me, with the andantes following with the refrains repeated by flo and mary but in a lower key. does anyone have the take on this performance why the Andantes were used when Mary could have handled that second set of refrains. On the mono LP which i purchased in 67 the Andantes refrain are omitted, on the stereo version they are inserted, throughout the song Flo's soprano's outshine the whole background. are there any motown studio musicians or hdh buffs in the house for this great track.

could never dig it..Ive tried the trio vocal blend on the the Holland Lp just aint as strong as A Go Go...

i don't like The Andantes version of this; they wind up being overkill; I much prefer the version with just the three who should be thereMF

The mono single mix is by far the strongest version IMO. However, whilst the absence of the Andantes is good, Diana's voice should be slightly more prominent in the mix, especially given the great performance she gave.

Did Martha and the Vandellas ever put vocals on this track? I'd be interested in hearing their take.

This track and Remove This Doubt are among the best of the Supremes recordings, IMO. I never heard Going Down with the Andantes added until the cd of Sing H-D-H came out. I like both but truly LOVE the mono version.

Totally agree. Was there ever any thought to releasing Going Down as an A side?

"Going Down For The Third Time" appeared as "Hit Bound" on the Big 8, CKLW, Hit Parade on May 4, l967. Also hit bound that week was "Seven Rooms Of Gloom" by the Four Tops. Both tunes should have made the Top Ten nation-wide.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    This track and Remove This Doubt are among the best of the Supremes recordings, IMO. I never heard Going Down with the Andantes added until the cd of Sing H-D-H came out. I like both but truly LOVE the mono version.
    the best album tracks, ever, by the supremes! and, no, i don't believe anyone at motown had a second go at it. pheobe snow recorded it. didn't the isley bros do a fine version of "remove this doubt"? i know elvis costello recorded it.

You guys are dead on...."Going Down" was one of the best tracks that was done on the girls.

Where cán I find the mono version without the Andantes and where is the version with the adding voclas.

Thanks for your help

I didn`t know of a Martha & the Vandellas version - great news let`s hope that it exists as it will be awesome.

Work to be done [[or already done... Andy?) for the Expanded Edition of Supremes Sing HDH!

When Reflections hit the radio as a single, I bought it because that is what you did in those days. But I immediately thought and still do that GDFTTT was the better song. In fact I would quite often think that about Motown releases.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlonleyheart View Post
    Where cán I find the mono version without the Andantes and where is the version with the adding voclas.

Thanks for your help
    the mono 45rpm version is on 'The Complete Motown Singles 1967'.

You can also find the mono version on the recent Diana Ross & The Supremes "Complete Singles" package and also on the pink box set - the stereo version [[w/added vocals) can be found on the SING H-D-H CD as well as on the PLAYLIST PLUS collection

mono: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izwp4DrMJIE [[extended fan version by our own Midnight Johnny!)
    stereo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQCstht-CE

So the stereo version on Playlist Plus is the same as on Sing H-D-H ?
    Perhaps I'm getting [[[[gotten ??)) old but those two versions sound a little different to me. Wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong !

ejliuther, thanks for posting that remix of Going down for the 3rd time, that was a fabulous remix, i love how you brought both the bkg and lead vocals forward, I always said in a group setting Diana best work was with Mary and Florence not the Andantes, no pun intended. another great track is Long Gone Love from wdolg and Mother You, Smother You esp the footage from the Motown 40 with the supremes in studio.

So the stereo version on Playlist Plus is the same as on Sing H-D-H ?
    Perhaps I'm getting [[[[gotten ??)) old but those two versions sound a little different to me. Wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong !
    Good point - the PP version might actually be a different mix [[can anyone confirm? Andy? George?) but the "stereo" style vocals are the same...

Playlist Plus is the same stereo mix as Sing HDH. New mastering and EQ can make a song sound a bit different sometimes. And I agree with everyone. This is a great track!

He's All I Got is my no. 2 favorite!

the songs starts off with both Flo and Mary singing save me, with the andantes following with the refrains repeated by flo and mary but in a lower key
    So at the very top of the song the first "Save me" we hear is Flo and Mary and then the next immediate 2 "Save me"'s that follow are by the Andantes? If so, it's a great opportunity to hear Flo & Mary directly next to The Andantes, isn't it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQCstht-CE