[REMOVE ADS]

New Motown "Cheapo" double CDs released March 12th

Listed on Amazon.co.uk for release on Monday 12th March 2012 are the following 2 Motown double CDs, both are priced at £3.50 each.
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - "Shop Around" - 33 tracks listed.
    Various Artists - "The Sound of Detroit - Original Gems from the Motown Vaults" - 50 tracks, no titles listed yet.

these look like very strange offerings - The Miracles one is listed as being on the 'Not Now Music' label, and the compo as being on the 'Any Day Music' label. As Calv says, they are both £3.50 each, and the pics look as if they come in a little wrap-around cardboard box like the early cellarfuls did.

The Miracles cd seems to comprise of 'Hi' and 'Cookin', along with "bonus tracks" from the early days, including such as 'got a job' and the two Ron & Bill tracks 'it' and 'don't say bye-bye'. It therefore feels like a truncated version of Hip-o's "Depend on Me" set, along with a few tracks not included in that set. Given the existence of "Depend on Me" and the recent Hallmark releases, it seems a surprising choice to put out, especially at such a low price.

As for the 'vaults' set - there is no track listing yet, but I don't think we can expect a parallel 'Cellarful 5' from this, as the blurb reads:
    "Featuring 50 unforgettable early Motown recordings, don't miss the chance to own these historical tracks [[all digitally remastered for optimum listening) in this 2CD set. Highlights include songs from The Marvelettes, Barrett Strong, The Supremes, The Miracles and many more all time greats." - probably edited highlights of TCMS1.

Interestingly [[perhaps more from a Brit perspective) the same company[ies] on the same day are releasing [[again at £3.50) an interesting looking 2cd Joe Meek collection which comprises big hits [[Johnny Remember me, etc.) with some real obscurities [[possibly including some not previously released on cd - i'll have to check this against other compos) Possibly quite a treat for Meeksville fans such as myself, so I think i'll ge getting this one and passing on the Motown offerings.

Final thought - Hotspurman/Hallmark: is your shadowy figure lurking behind these releases somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post

Interestingly [[perhaps more from a Brit perspective) the same company[ies] on the same day are releasing [[again at £3.50) an interesting looking 2cd Joe Meek collection which comprises big hits [[Johnny Remember me, etc.) with some real obscurities [[possibly including some not previously released on cd - i'll have to check this against other compos) Possibly quite a treat for Meeksville fans such as myself, so I think i'll ge getting this one and passing on the Motown offerings.
    Excuse my digression...

Thanks for the heads up! There was no mention of this in the Club's recent newsletter or magazine [[Thunderbolt).

I've not heard of some of the names on that Joe Meek album so I am pretty certain that there are some previously "unreleased on CD" Joe Meek recordings. The 50 year rule might apply to all or most of these recordings. Coincidentally, I was at his old studio at 304 Holloway Road yesterday....buying groceries! LOL

This release might explain why YOUTUBE uploader Joemeek304 had to take down all his recordings some 10 days ago.
    That was a shame cos there was a multitude of new recordings he had just put up which I never got time to hear.

The 'vaults' set will just be the same old songs, certainly nothing to do with COM, that have now fallen into the so called 'public domain. I think that Hallmark have a rival! BTW it's issued on the One Day Music label. http://www.onedaymusic.co.uk/ which seems to be apart of Not Now Music. I have emailed them requesting a track list.

Well, well, well - or should it be more, more, more? Most likely more of the same, but Hallmark at least are issuing the Motown stuff in original album format so probably more collectable from that point of view. Nevertheless, One Day are also doing a fine job - I have all the available volumes of their London American Story and that is a great series. Nobody is likely to be "fizzing at the bung" with these "Motown" releases but it sounds like they might be worth looking out for. Great price too! Expect attractive packaging.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-08-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Shop Around
    Disc: 1
    1. Who's Lovin' You
    2. [[You Can) Depend On Me
    3. Heart Like Mine
    4. Shop Around
    5. Won't Take You Back
    6. 'Cause I Love You
    7. Your Love
    8. After All
    9. Way Over There
    10. Money [[That's What I Want)
    11. Don't Leave Me
    12. What's So Good About Goodbye
    13. I've Been Good To You
    14. I Need A Change
    15. All I Want Is You
    16. Bad Girl
    17. I Love Your Baby
    Disc: 2
    1. That's The Way I Feel
    2. Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues
    3. Ain't It Baby
    4. Mama
    5. Determination
    6. You Never Miss A Good Thing
    7. Embraceable You
    8. The Only One I Love
    9. Broken Hearted
    10. I Can't Believe
    11. Mighty Good Lovin'
    12. The Feeling Is So Fine
    13. Got A Job
    14. I Cry
    15. It [[As Ron & Bill)
    16. Don't Say Bye-Bye [[As Ron & Bill)

Please note that the price of these CDs has already risen - including The Miracles above.

The Sound Of Detroit- Original Gems From The Motown Vaults

TRACK LISTING

CD 1
    1. Please Mr. Postman- The Marvelettes
    2. Come To Me- Marv Johnson
    3. Money, That's What I Want- Barrett Strong
    4. Buttered Popcorn- Diana Ross & The Supremes
    5. Don't Feel Sorry For Me- Jimmy Ruffin
    6. Whose Heart [[Are You Gonna Break Now)- Don McKenzie
    7. Shop Around- The Miracles
    8. Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide- Marvin Gaye
    9. Bye Bye Baby- Mary Wells
    10. Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart- The Satintones
    11. Check Yourself- The Temptations
    12. Whole Lotta Woman- The Contours
    13. Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That- Mable John
    14. Way Over There- The Marvelettes
    15. The Day Will Come- Freddie Gorman
    16. What's So Good About Goodbye- The Miracles
    17. The Hunch- Paul Gayten
    18. Yes, No, Maybe So- Barrett Strong
    19. Have I The Right- Popcorn & The Mohawks
    20. Faded Letter- The Satintones
    21. I don’t Want To Take a Chance- Mary Wells
    22. Determination- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    23. Oh Mother Of Mine – The Temptations
    24. How Deep Is The Ocean [[How High Is The Sky)
    25. I Want A Guy- The Supremes

CD 2
    1. Never Let You Go- Marvin Gaye
    2. That's The Way I Feel- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    3. The Stretch- The Contours
    4. Tomorrow And Always- The Satintones
    5. Jamie- Eddie Holland
    6. Same Thing- Gino Parks
    7. Take Me- Mable John
    8. Twistin' Postman- The Marvelettes
    9. You Knows What To Do- Barrett Strong
    10. Who's Lovin' You- The Supremes
    11. Come To Me- Mary Wells
    12. Whisper- Marv Johnson
    13. Solid Sender- Chico Leverett
    14. Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues- The Miracles
    15. Heart- Jimmy Ruffin
    16. Hot Cross Buns- Paul Gayten
    17. All The Love I Got- The Marvelettes
    18. Come On And Be Mine- The Contours
    19. Always- Marvin Gaye
    20. Won't You Take Me Back- Smokey Robinson
    21. Motor City- The Saintones
    22. I Love The Way You Love Me- Mary Wells
    23. Never Again- The Supremes
    24. Misery- Barrett Strong
    25. Romance Without Finance- The Temptations

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    these look like very strange offerings - The Miracles one is listed as being on the 'Not Now Music' label, and the compo as being on the 'Any Day Music' label. As Calv says, they are both £3.50 each, and the pics look as if they come in a little wrap-around cardboard box like the early cellarfuls did.

The Miracles cd seems to comprise of 'Hi' and 'Cookin', along with "bonus tracks" from the early days, including such as 'got a job' and the two Ron & Bill tracks 'it' and 'don't say bye-bye'. It therefore feels like a truncated version of Hip-o's "Depend on Me" set, along with a few tracks not included in that set. Given the existence of "Depend on Me" and the recent Hallmark releases, it seems a surprising choice to put out, especially at such a low price.

As for the 'vaults' set - there is no track listing yet, but I don't think we can expect a parallel 'Cellarful 5' from this, as the blurb reads:
    "Featuring 50 unforgettable early Motown recordings, don't miss the chance to own these historical tracks [[all digitally remastered for optimum listening) in this 2CD set. Highlights include songs from The Marvelettes, Barrett Strong, The Supremes, The Miracles and many more all time greats." - probably edited highlights of TCMS1.

Final thought - Hotspurman/Hallmark: is your shadowy figure lurking behind these releases somewhere?
    No - nothing to do with us. Looking at the trascklistings however, all of the tracks are in the public domain. As was mentioned earlier, we have stuck with releasing the original albums as they were. The Miracles package would appear to be the two albums Hi We're The Miracles and Cookin' along with additional tracks by Ron & Bill [[which were available on TCMS 1). Similarly, the various artists package is pretty much every single that was released, again all available on TCMS 1.

Thanks for the track list. I'll stick to my TCMS sets.

The 2 Paul Gayten [[Chess tracks) were not part of TCMS at all. However these songs have been anthologized on Chess V.A. cd's.
    Disc 1, Track 24 is likely Marvin Gaye's version from "The Soulful Moods Of Marvin Gaye", though no artist is listed by One Day Music.
    And an unusual question: Disc 2, Song 20 first appeared on "Hi! We're The Miracles" [[June 1961) But it was also included on "The Fabulous Miracles" May 1963. As the song appears on an album [[not a compilation) copyrighted in 1963, does the 1963 copyright in any way impact upon the 1961 copyright and affect its ability to be considered public domain according to British/European law?

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    The 2 Paul Gayten [[Chess tracks) were not part of TCMS at all. However these songs have been anthologized on Chess V.A. cd's.
    Disc 1, Track 24 is likely Marvin Gaye's version from "The Soulful Moods Of Marvin Gaye", though no artist is listed by One Day Music.
    And an unusual question: Disc 2, Song 20 first appeared on "Hi! We're The Miracles" [[June 1961) But it was also included on "The Fabulous Miracles" May 1963. As the song appears on an album [[not a compilation) copyrighted in 1963, does the 1963 copyright in any way impact upon the 1961 copyright and affect its ability to be considered public domain according to British/European law?
    The short answer is no. I'm assuming that the track in question was the same version in 1963 as it was in 1961, in which case it is in the public domain. If however it is a different version and they use the 1963 one, then they've got problems!

does anybody know when any day /not now music will be releasing tcms vol 12 or shall we just wait for the hallmark version.only 11 years to go,im assuming they'll be the usual amazon release date/delivery delays

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    does anybody know when any day /not now music will be releasing tcms vol 12 or shall we just wait for the hallmark version.only 11 years to go,im assuming they'll be the usual amazon release date/delivery delays
    Unfortunately, we won't be able to release this until 2042 - I've got it scheduled for 1 January, but we usually ship to stores a week earlier. So hopefully we'll get it out just ahead of Not Now...

typical!i've got the gas man coming 'round then,i'll have to wait in for him!

Tamla, what makes you think there'll be any gas left?

Vol 12 won't be exhaustive in 2042anyway...the scheduled but not released singles wouldn't be in the public domain.

i'll be doin ok if i'm still breathing air let alone got gas. [[that didnt come out right did it?)

Musicians win copyright extension to 70 years.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/s...a&type=article