[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

The beginning of the end vocals

Hello people been playing some DRATS over the weekend ,i don't know if in the brain vault but why do i think of Syreeta when i listen to the THE BEGINNING OF THE END did she sing background on this song i seem to recall ,love the backing ALL IN MY MIND PARTS was she on this song or do i just think its her,i can't remember,also anyone have any recording dates of songs from CREAM OF CROP -LET THE SUNSHINE ALBUMS. Cheers.

In the 2000 boxed set, Syreeta is credited with additional background vocals on this record.

I've always wondered what the impetus was for putting such a distinctive voice on the bridge of that recording. It seemed odd to me then and even odder now. Also, why did they add Syreeta to Martha & the Vandellas "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'" cut? It would have made much more sense to just have the refrain done by the Vandellas alone if Martha wouldn't record it. It always seemed to me that there was a bigger story underneath it all - or am I just predisposed to believe in conspiracy theories where Motown is concerned? [[Yes, that was a joke)

Thommg

Not that I would be able to find it in the archives, but there was a SDF thread many many years ago where producer Deke Richards explained Martha and Syreeta's input on "I Cant Dance To The Music You're Playing".

honest man Guest
    THANKS for the reminder. Hello John.

Andy

Deke's history of "Love Child" is there too

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I've always wondered what the impetus was for putting such a distinctive voice on the bridge of that recording. It seemed odd to me then and even odder now. Also, why did they add Syreeta to Martha & the Vandellas "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'" cut? It would have made much more sense to just have the refrain done by the Vandellas alone if Martha wouldn't record it. It always seemed to me that there was a bigger story underneath it all - or am I just predisposed to believe in conspiracy theories where Motown is concerned? [[Yes, that was a joke)
    Well isn't the 'official' story that Ms Reeves hated the song and refused to do the chorus? Correct me if I'm wrong!

I read that Martha thought the song was sexist. I don't see it.

Too personal I read somewhere.

honest man Guest
    OK so it is Syreeta [thought id read somewhere],is Mary Wilson,Cindy Birdsong also on this song, love it.

Yes, "The Beginning of The End" is Diana, Mary, Cindy and Syreeta.

uptight Guest
    There seems to be a lot of muting and unmuting of parts in the single version of this record. First, I'm not sure why the kick drum is muted, and we hear the drummer playing only the snare drum. It feels a bit unbalanced in that regard. The brief vocal from Syreeta may have been added to give it more of a gospel-flavored ad-lib [["...mind, mind, mind..!"). I don't believe she sings with Mary and Cindy throughout. It just sounds to me like Syreeta's line during the bridge was punched in at the whim of the producer.

honest man Guest
    Well i wonder where they were trying Syreeta out for Diana replacement at the time,she was considered a choice,right just a thought,seems stranger otherwise,cheers.