[REMOVE ADS]

I wonder if there is anyone here who would support this...

Personally, I'm on the fence.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/monkeesHOF

Uhhhhh, that's a tough one. I'll have to think about it. Heck, if it were up to me, all the artists I ever liked would be in there! LOL

You're on the fence too. I can totally understand that.

Personally I'm not that passionate about these issues as I used to be. I guess I would be on the fence as well, but these guys were so immensely popular that it'll probably happen. If it did I would'nt have a problem with it.

No offense, I dig the Monkees and Davy Jones [[RIP) was definitely the heartthrob of his day but they don't seem Hall of Fame-ish material least as rock and rollers [[though their music was definitely up there). They're more TV Hall of Fame worthy than Rock & Roll. But that's just me.

The issue of the Monkees induction has been out there for a number of years, and I can see the point of it. It could be said that the group lead the way for "bubblegum music", and the pre-packaging of the Monkees and their sound set the standard for Jerry Kasenetz, Jeff Katz and Neil Bogart to follow. The argument could also be made that Bobby Sherman teen idol pop is not at all represented in the hall.

On the other hand, they were the "Pre-Fab Four", a made for TV group. Light and fluffy, feel good music that has no place in the RRHoF because it contributed nothing. That argument has merit too, and would surface if any number of groups [[Herman's Hermits, Freddie and the Dreamers, Paul Revere and The Raiders for example) were put up for nomination.

In the long ruin, I don't really care. The music was fun, my girlfirend at the time had a crush on Mickey and they put out music I enjoyed then and still do now. They're in my hall of fame.

Doug had the nerve to say this:

In the long ruin, I don't really care. The music was fun, my girlfirend at the time had a crush on Mickey and they put out music I enjoyed then and still do now. They're in my hall of fame.

And I'll second it!...

They also sold a lot of lunch boxes when I was a kid! hehehehehehehe.......

If the Monkees get in, I want the Partridge Family in there too!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    No offense, I dig the Monkees and Davy Jones [[RIP) was definitely the heartthrob of his day but they don't seem Hall of Fame-ish material least as rock and rollers [[though their music was definitely up there). They're more TV Hall of Fame worthy than Rock & Roll. But that's just me.
    I absolutely agree. TVLand should put them in their Hall Of Fame.

I'm been thinking about this for awhile. Part of me say yeah and part of me say no simply because of the fact that they were created for a tv show.
    Now as soon as they put in Ohio Players, WAR, Johnny Guitar Watson, Kool & The Gang, and Doobie Bros I'll come up with a straight answer

I'll take that proposal on, timmyfunk. Although The Monkees' induction is unlikely to happen because of Jann Wenner's disdain for the group, there's a great case to be made.

First off let me give you some truth - members of The Monkees play instruments as well as sing on every one of the 11 albums in their catalog. Mike Nesmith even wrote and produced two songs on the first album [[the Monkees). There's quite a few artists already in The Hall that used the same bunch of studio aces at the same time that The Monkees did. However, for the record:

Nesmith - guitar, bass, mandolin, lead and background vocals, songwriter, producer
    Tork - guitar, banjo, bass, keyboards, lead and background vocals, songwriter, producer
    Dolenz - guitar, drums, percussion, keyboards, lead and background vocals, songwriter producer
    Jones - guitar, drums, percussion, lead and background vocals, songwriter, producer

-As a group [[66-70, 86 & 96), The Monkees have sold over 65 million records worldwide
    -Seven top 10 singles between '66 - '68 and four number 1 singles
    -More of The Monkees is the 12th largest selling LP of all time and the largest selling LP of 1967
    -The Monkees - certified Quintuple Platinum, More of The Monkees - certified Quadruple Platinum
    -Headquarters - certified Double Platinum, Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones LTD - certified Triple Platinum
    -The Monkees held the record for longest number of weeks at number 1 for a debut album until 1982
    -One the first artists to be number 1 simultaneously in the US and the UK
    -Seven LP's in Billboard's Top 200 at the same time
    -They are the first music artists to win two Emmy's
    -They were among the first artists to use the Moog synthesizer [[Micky was one of the first 10 owners) on record
    -Mike Nesmith wrote Linda Ronstadt's first hit, Different Drum [['67)
    -Since its debut, the TV show has been on the air somewhere in world for 46 years.
    -Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame [['89)

The TV show is the forerunner of every music video ever produced in the 80's. In fact, Mike Nesmith is usually credited with the original idea for MTV which he proposed to some TV execs in 1978. Warner-Amex finally took up his idea and asked him to produced original spots for music on Nickelodeon. That segment was then expanded into MTV.

Through the TV show and concert tours The Monkees introduced Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, Tim Buckley, Harry Nillson and Charlie Smalls to millions of people who otherwise would not have heard of them.

The Monkees, of course, had their influence on fashion, cultural expressions and on at least a few generations of musicians that include Michael Snipe, Debra Coleman and even myself that first got the music bug because of the Monkees. What The Beatles did for Rickenbacker, Hofner and Ludwig, The Monkees did for Gretsch Musical Instruments. After the debut of the TV show, Gretsch sold thousands more product than they had in the past.

Monkee influence is still with us, Run-DMC, Cassandra Wilson, Beyonce and Smash Mouth and many other bands have all done remakes of Monkees tunes. Dozens more have used samples of Monkees music.

There's more stats and stuff that I could site, but the point is that I think this group has more than earned their place in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Like some of the other artist that are regularly brought up as should-be candidates, I already think The Monkees have been royally screwed over.

what does it mean?the hall of fame.i cant get annoyed 'cos so and so isnt there or jump up and down if a favourite is enrolled.it doesnt matter who's in or who isnt in it.but to answer the question the monkees deserve to be there as much as anyone else.IMO

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    I'll take that proposal on, timmyfunk. Although The Monkees' induction is unlikely to happen because of Jann Wenner's disdain for the group, there's a great case to be made.

First off let me give you some truth - members of The Monkees play instruments as well as sing on every one of the 11 albums in their catalog. Mike Nesmith even wrote and produced two songs on the first album [[the Monkees). There's quite a few artists already in The Hall that used the same bunch of studio aces at the same time that The Monkees did. However, for the record:

Nesmith - guitar, bass, mandolin, lead and background vocals, songwriter, producer
    Tork - guitar, banjo, bass, keyboards, lead and background vocals, songwriter, producer
    Dolenz - guitar, drums, percussion, keyboards, lead and background vocals, songwriter producer
    Jones - guitar, drums, percussion, lead and background vocals, songwriter, producer

-As a group [[66-70, 86 & 96), The Monkees have sold over 65 million records worldwide
    -Seven top 10 singles between '66 - '68 and four number 1 singles
    -More of The Monkees is the 12th largest selling LP of all time and the largest selling LP of 1967
    -The Monkees - certified Quintuple Platinum, More of The Monkees - certified Quadruple Platinum
    -Headquarters - certified Double Platinum, Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones LTD - certified Triple Platinum
    -The Monkees held the record for longest number of weeks at number 1 for a debut album until 1982
    -One the first artists to be number 1 simultaneously in the US and the UK
    -Seven LP's in Billboard's Top 200 at the same time
    -They are the first music artists to win two Emmy's
    -They were among the first artists to use the Moog synthesizer [[Micky was one of the first 10 owners) on record
    -Mike Nesmith wrote Linda Ronstadt's first hit, Different Drum [['67)
    -Since its debut, the TV show has been on the air somewhere in world for 46 years.
    -Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame [['89)

The TV show is the forerunner of every music video ever produced in the 80's. In fact, Mike Nesmith is usually credited with the original idea for MTV which he proposed to some TV execs in 1978. Warner-Amex finally took up his idea and asked him to produced original spots for music on Nickelodeon. That segment was then expanded into MTV.

Through the TV show and concert tours The Monkees introduced Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, Tim Buckley, Harry Nillson and Charlie Smalls to millions of people who otherwise would not have heard of them.

The Monkees, of course, had their influence on fashion, cultural expressions and on at least a few generations of musicians that include Michael Snipe, Debra Coleman and even myself that first got the music bug because of the Monkees. What The Beatles did for Rickenbacker, Hofner and Ludwig, The Monkees did for Gretsch Musical Instruments. After the debut of the TV show, Gretsch sold thousands more product than they had in the past.

Monkee influence is still with us, Run-DMC, Cassandra Wilson, Beyonce and Smash Mouth and many other bands have all done remakes of Monkees tunes. Dozens more have used samples of Monkees music.

There's more stats and stuff that I could site, but the point is that I think this group has more than earned their place in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Like some of the other artist that are regularly brought up as should-be candidates, I already think The Monkees have been royally screwed over.
    I have to say that while you make a very compelling case, PShark's argument is just as strong if not more. So I guess I'm still on the fence.

And the fence is probably a good place to be. As with many artists, there are compelling arguments as to why or why not induct them into the RRHoF. Remember, I'm the guy who called Laura Nyro "....Carole King without 'Tapistry'".

Tim you and/or P-shark will have to 'splain that one to me.

Only Kool and The Gang has more total sales, but none of the the groups [[or Watson) he listed have the chart action, sales or cross-boundary influence The Monkees had.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Tim you and/or P-shark will have to 'splain that one to me.

Only Kool and The Gang has more total sales, but none of the the groups [[or Watson) he listed have the chart action, sales or cross-boundary influence The Monkees had.
    PShark said: Now as soon as they put in Ohio Players, WAR, Johnny Guitar Watson, Kool & The Gang, and Doobie Bros I'll come up with a straight answer.

On the pioneer/innovator tip, everyone of these acts [[even the Doobie Brothers) deserves induction over the Monkees. And to my knowledge, similar bands [[The Partridge Family, the Archies, etc...) aren't in the RRHOF and probably never will. And I think it's safe to say that most of what you listed can easily be said about the Beatles. And I've never heard any contemporary performer site the Monkees as a major influence. But like I said, I'm still on the fence.

The RRHoF just isn't quite sure what it's doing anymore; it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that now. It was so obvious in 1987 1988 1989..........but now it's not. I often think they should have stopped inducting so many people; it should have maybe been one or two a year instead of allowing all and sundry in.

Good argument Chidrummer ~ excellent argument. If that doesn't get you in, what does? Laura Nyro is Carole King without Tapestry and a little bit more. And she had nowhere near the influence of the Monkees.

very well put chidrummer.yes the monkees "vids"could be said to be a forerunner to mtv.but i must say the monkees "video's" were a copy of the beatles/dick lester film style as in hard days night,help and the contempory [[1967)magical mystery tour.even my dad said that when he saw the monkees tv show for the 1st time.

but i couldnt have got close to you on the rest of your post,really very good.

On the strength of my 7 year old sister singing "Going Down" at our dinner table...... and doing the sax parts.....They're in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URb8h4dLKps