[REMOVE ADS]

The Fantastic Four "The Best Of"

My favourite Motown album is "The Best Of The Fantastic Four" [[ well ok it was actually a Ric-Tic production but the album was issued on Soul). I have purchased 4 copies over the years in various formats. I do know the line ups as the group experienced some changes. However, it is the Ric-Tic songs and productions on the Fantastic Four that continue to amaze me. Despite my best efforts, I have never been able to discover who the musicians were, and given the fabulous orchestration and arrangements, who was responsible for the arrangements etc. If anyone out there can provide any information on their Ric-Tic productions, I'd be very grateful!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  21.1 KB
    You can bet that most of the musicians were either ex-Motown or current Motown-in-house musicians[[including several of The Funk Brothers). I'd guess that Joe Hunter arranged their earliest cuts, and that Mike Terry arranged the rest. Gil Askey did some arranging for Ed Wingate's labels [[maybe he worked on a few Fantastic Four sessions?). I'd bet George McGregor was on at least a few.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-04-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Views: 337
Size:  21.1 KB Certainly, James Jamerson, probably Joe Messina, Uriel Jones, Don Davis, maybe Melvin Davis, Herbie Williams, violinists from The Detroit Philharmonic Orchestra [[as Motown also used).
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-04-2012 at 02:10 AM.

I believe Dennis Coffey was involved as an arranger/producer for some Fantastic Four tracks for Ric Tic.

Many thanks!!!!!

It's the arrangements I find so extraordinary. They are so rich with unbelievable great orchestration. Must have cost a bomb! Ws that Dennis Coffey doing the arrangements? He would only have been 20 something and instructing orchestrars and their string and brass / woodwind sections what to play,,,
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 03-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Funny, they were my favorite non Motown act and wound up on Motown. I believe Dennis Coffey did some work with them after they left Motown during their tenure with Westbound. Although their early songs were their best imo, I have most of their work and loved Alvin Stone among others, they eventually made some so-so disco records and then they were gone......their material is readily available from vendors like Amazon. I purchased these sets several years ago, I have the Best of on CD and vinyl.

Name:  FF.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  79.5 KB

Views: 332
Size:  21.1 KB
    I don't think that Dennis arranged any of the Fantastic Four's Ric Tic cuts. As I stated above, I think Joe Hunter may have arranged their first couple sessions, and then Mike Terry probably arranged the rest.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.

From an ear-shots perspective , most of Ric-Tic's product was "Moonligting Motown " product. To put it politically correct , like Motown , it was all the sound of Detroit. That's why Berry had no choice but to buy Ric-Tic out. The only thin that separates the sound of Ric-Tic from the sound of Motown is the physics of the sound of the two studios.

The Best Of The Fantastic Four

T always wanted this album but was never able to find a copy here in the UK. Is it still available on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Many thanks!!!!!

It's the arrangements I find so extraordinary. They are so rich with unbelievable great orchestration. Must have cost a bomb! Ws that Dennis Coffey doing the arrangements? He would only have been 20 something and instructing orchestrars and their string and brass / woodwind sections what to play,,,
    I distinctly remember Dennis Coffey stating here on the forum that he arranged or produced a couple of the Fantastic Four's Ric Tic Recordings. Where is Dennis? He's another one missing in action.

T always wanted this album but was never able to find a copy here in the UK. Is it still available on CD.
    The original cd is costly using the source I cited above you can own it if you want to pay that price, but they also have digital downloads of the album for for about 10 bucks.

Hopefully we will see a "Complete F4" or "How Sweet He Is" in the not too distant future.

I suggested that to Harry W many years ago and he said it was a good idea. Given that nothing has happened, I'm not holding my breath.