[REMOVE ADS]

All The Great Hits - Diana Ross - K2 HD Format

This recording has been mastered by the K2 HD format of 24-bit 100kHz, which creates an unbelievable sound surpassing other formats. This K2 HD Mastering CD will play on All CD players!

This title will be released on March 20, 2012

All The Great Hits [[K2 HD Master)
    Diana Ross | Format: Audio CD
    4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews [[39 customer reviews) | Like 1330790776 false 1 1 1 0 [[1)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Price: $49.19 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    Deal Price:
    Special Offers Available
    Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This title will be released on March 20, 2012.
    Pre-order now!
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

100kHz??? Are you sure that's right?

Nope. But they said it was some very special sound and it's $50. And there is some rumour that it may have additional cuts.

I guess we'll find out.

I just pre ordered a copy..the format sounds krazee..

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Nope. But they said it was some very special sound and it's $50. And there is some rumour that it may have additional cuts.

I guess we'll find out.
    Only 1,000 will be sold
    DIANA ROSS / All The Great Hits
    This recording has been mastered by the K2 HD format of 24-bit 100kHz, which creates an unbelievable sound surpassing other formats!

Diana Ross, the lead singer for Motown's The Supremes during the 1960s, left the group in 1970 to embark on what would turn out to be a highly successful solo career. She was named the "Female Entertainer Of the Century" in 1976 by Billboard magazine. In 1993, the Guinness Book of World Records declared her to be the most successful female music artist in history due to her U.S. and U.K. success with more hits than any other female artist in the charts.

All The Great Hits is a compilation album by Diana Ross released in 1981. The album features her duet "Endless Love" with Lionel Richie which was from a movie with Brooke Shields.

Selections:
    1. Endless Love - duet with Lionel Richie
    2. It's My Turn
    3. Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)
    4. Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)
    5. Touch Me in the Morning
    6. Good Morning Heartache
    7. Last Time I Saw Him
    8. Upside Down
    9. I'm Coming Out
    10. Tenderness
    11. My Old Piano
    12. The Boss
    13. It's My House
    14. Love Hangover
    15. Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    16. Remember Me

Features:
    • Numbered, Limited Edition
    • Only 1,000 Numbered Copies Available!
    • K2 HD 100kHz / 24-bit Mastering
    • Made in Japan

And what is the real point actually?

Some audiophile do not like these releases they feel the sound metallic but I like them, what is the real point is asked, why then are albums re-mastered for a better sound! K2 HD is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz CD audio.

I got my copy from YesAsia.com $23.99 and worth it.

hmmm, for 50. i would like a few bonus tracks.imo.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    hmmm, for 50. i would like a few bonus tracks.imo.
    I only paid $30 including postage?

what happened to The Supremes medley ??..just kidding

Jay.............do you have this already?? It says not released until March 20.

Um, Nomis: half the cuts, it turns out, didn't have Supremes on them..........so they probably just called it Medley now! Just kidding.............wouldn't want to start a war over another elevation of Diane.

Thanks for the heads up! I might buy this. Apparently it was released months ago in Japan [[September I believe), but the March 20th release date is the import release date for North America. I wonder how good the sound quality is? Some audiophiles say that they notice a difference in the sound quality with this format. Other formats have been marketed in the past as well, such as the SACD, HDCD, SHM-CD, 24K-Gold CD's, etc.

I thought the inner notes and the pictures of most of the earlier LPs in the original gatefold sleeve impressive..it was the first time Motown had really honoured her legacy like that

As much as I am tempted to buy this, it makes me wonder if the sound will be all THAT different? I was told that they didn't do a new remaster for this release from the original master tapes. They must be using the same transfer that was done for the 2000 reissue. In that case, how could this have been remastered at 24 bit, 100 kHz? Isn't CD audio is always reduced to 16 bit, 44 kHz, no matter what???

This is from a fan, which indicates it might not be anything special:

This CD has been available for about 6 months but for a price that makes your
    heart skip a beat.

I walked into this type of thing many times before, the result often is pretty
    dissapointing. They pump up the volume and when you meassure it you’ll
    see it is worse than the original release.

You will not hear the difference listening to it on a computer and when you
    pop the cd into programs like Musiccollector it will tell you it is already in
    your collection. Same TOC info.

We’ve had SHM-CD, it was like nothing you ever heard! For the 50th ann.
    they released “the Definitive Collection” both in normal and in SHM-CD
    format. We compared, switched on two identical cd-players but all we
    heard was the difference between two laser units. Meassured it through
    a special program made and no difference was shown.

For 60 euro I expect something spectacular not something that is just
    copied to another disc made of different material with the same
    crappy master.

Now for a little less money I am willing to give this K2 HD a chance
    but again 60 euro for a cd that was released twice. The second time
    in 96k/24 remaster that makes your ears bleed because they added
    a lot of high into it. Do these record companies really think
    we are that stupid?

Why only in Japan and why not make a decent remaster for normal
    prices? Were the original recordings made with 96k/24? No, so I wonder
    what we will hear...
    For 60 euro I expect to hear improvement not pumping up the sound
    to something unnatural as they did with so many other cd’s in this
    format.

SHM-CD, HDCD... expensive and in most cases just another way to take
    your money LOL!

I'll let you know what I think when my copy arrives..

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    And what is the real point actually?
    Especially if you're around my age [[56) and the hearing ain't what it was when I was 18...

uptight Guest
    In 2000 when this title was remastered, it was using 96k / 24-bit technology [[prior to manufacturing it as CD format for public consumption). So if they can give us the album tracks in a 24-bit file format that would be great! Giving us the same music on yet another 16-bit format [[like the audio CD format) seems needless.

All The Great Hits [[2000) has a great sound already. In the high frequencies and the low frequency range, the songs sound clearer than on ANY other title. The high-end isn't dulled down like the CDs titles from UMG since then.

Jimi, have you received your copy yet?

Yes, and the sound is indeed superior...

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post

All The Great Hits [[2000) has a great sound already. In the high frequencies and the low frequency range, the songs sound clearer than on ANY other title. The high-end isn't dulled down like the CDs titles from UMG since then.

What you want to listen for are not the frequency extremes, but the midrange, depth of the sound field, the width of the sound field. In other words, how lifelike it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Yes, and the sound is indeed superior...
    Ok. Thanks!

uptight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    What you want to listen for are not the frequency extremes, but the midrange, depth of the sound field, the width of the sound field. In other words, how lifelike it sounds.
    I would never ignore the frequency range. For example, the CDs reissued by Motown Select/Hip-O in the last several years really do have duller high-end and headachey bass. And it ruins the experience for me. The mid-range has been fine, though.

I'm glad to read that the sound for this K2 HD version is superior to the 2000 release. But I'm in no hurry to buy all these titles again. It seems they plan years in advance to sort of ruin the sound just so they can release them again as "new & improved" versions and entice you to buy them all over again every ten years.

I would never ignore the frequency range. For example, the CDs reissued by Motown Select/Hip-O in the last several years really do have duller high-end and headachey bass. And it ruins the experience for me. The mid-range has been fine, though.
    I have heard many master tapes of vintage material, and the vast majority of them sound as what most people would describe as "dull". However, most people also do not have high-end gear to hear music on. You'd be surprised at how many CDs have had their treble boosted in the mastering stage just because most people do not have high-quality playback systems. That "dullness" most people hear translates to more depth to the soundstage on mid- or lo-fi systems. Using compression also tends to exaggerate those qualities for lesser playabck systems and earphones. I do not understand how having full bass could be "headachey". Adding compression could, though.

It seems they plan years in advance to sort of ruin the sound just so they can release them again as "new & improved" versions and entice you to buy them all over again every ten years
    That's not true!

Think of each mastering as a different interpretation of a recording. There are many reasons a new mastering is done. Usually, it's because it's believed that a better sound could be coaxed from the tapes. or that better tapes have been found. Sometimes, new technologies allows a better quality of mastering. Other times it is because a new label regime has come in. Sometimes, the artists renegotiates a contract, ot changes labels, and wants a new line of remastered catalog. Sometimes, added material is found and someone sees an opportunity to release it.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.

uptight Guest
    New technologies or newly found material have nothing to do with dulling the high-end in the current Hip-O CDs. And they may have a wide frequency range, but this highs are notched out [[possibly to avoid tape hiss). And the bass below 74Hz [[approximately) is anemic.
    Last edited by uptight; 04-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.

New technologies or newly found material have nothing to do with dulling the high-end in the current Hip-O CDs. And they may have a wide frequency range, but this highs are notched out [[possibly to avoid tape hiss). And the bass below 74Hz [[approximately) is anemic.
    They did not "dull" the high end. Again, you would be shocked to hear many master tapes in their un-mastered state. Once a recording is mixed and approved, it is still not finished. It is sent to a mastering engineer so he/she can tweak it to specifications. They have the better rooms and better gear, and the skill.

Converters used today are much better than the ones used in the past. Tapes are transferred to high rez instead of redbook, so you will get smoother highs and fuller bass. You get more of a spread of the sound across the speakers. You don't get that "pinched" sound as you used to with older gear. Some might say that the sound you get on a CD now is a bit more "analog".

I think the reissues Universal/Motown/Hip-O are doing today sound fantastic!

Each recording is different. If someone like Tom Moulton, Harry Weinger or Kevin reeves can comment on this issue, they would tell you the exact same thing I am. I am hoping one of them will read this.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-08-2012 at 08:36 PM.