[REMOVE ADS]

Joe Thompson passes.....

I am by no means a music historian, but saw an obit in today's New York Times noting the passing of Joe Thompson, leader of the last active North Carolina style "traditional" black string band. As I understand the musical form, this was an extention of the Memphis string band style that we now call "jug band music".

I really like the last paragraph of the obit as much as I like the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/ar...ref=obituaries

Joe was blessed to have lived such a long fruitful life and to see his influence in generations far beyond his like The Carolina Chocolate Drops who knocked me out when I first heard them. Though I haven't heard the new line up yet I plan
    to as long as Rhiannon stays with them, I'm fine. She is the heart of the group to me, her delivery on Hit It Up Style was
    such a treat. Anyway, here's the original group with Joe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6SlS...eature=related

RIP thank you for the news.

My condolences.

Thx for the obit D....and the clip Splank.....I had tix for the youngest and I to see them last summer..... till they switched the venue at the last minute. UMB turned me on to them.....and we've been fans since.

uptight Guest
    RIP. I don't remember hearing about this man before. What great music? And that young band The Carolina Chocolate Drops are very refreshing to see and hear carry on his legacy.