[REMOVE ADS]

Jamerson is a genius- listening to Singles 65

I have all of the yearly single sets, and they are tremendous. I just listened to all of the 65 c.d.'s on a long business trip.
    Man I love Jamerson, but am truly amazed at all of the non- hits that he is just incredible on- too many songs to remember- although there was a song by the Velveletts that I never heard before and could not believe my ears. Obviously I know all of the top 40 songs, but these little gems are outstanding.
    I just crank up the voulme and the bass really comes alive- Going to a Go Go- wow. Jamerson seems especially special on Four Top songs, Something About You a song that I was never that big on, really comes alive when you up the volume- I now have much more appreciation of this song.
    And I already considered myself a huge fan.
    I believe there were three true geniuses at Motown. Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and the heart and soul of Motown- James Jamerson.

Have you listened to the stripped down tracks on "SITSOM" you can really hear what he is doing. He is the reason that I`m so into Motown.

Clay

I don't think of it in terms of individuals. For me, it was teamwork and the combination of all those talented people that made Motown the well known brand that it is today. And I include you too, Clay.

RossHolloway Guest
    It's strange that you mention 1965, the past couple of days I've been listening to the same set while at work on my computer. I find that I pick up different nuances of a song when I listen to them on my pc versus my i pod versus my car stereo. I still get excited when even when I've heard a song a hundred times and then when I hear an alternate version I can pick up the differences instantly. There is no other facet of my life that I get this much of a thrill and a kick about [[ok maybe just one other lol).

What is amazing is that it was all just another day at the office for these folks, I don't think anyone was thinking that what they were doing would hold up for 47 years and counting. As bad as JJ was and he was bad, I agree young lad from Motown that the key was the teamwork. JJ would have sounded like early to mid 70's fusion bass player if the other musicians could not hang........and they did.

How cool would it have been to sit in when the songwriters introduced the songs to the band and watch as they worked out the arrangements? What would be an almost religious experience for some [[watching as they created) was probably just another day, and many late nights, for them.

There is no question that those recordings were a result of teamwork. For that period of time the stars and fate brought all that is Classic Motwn together in that space and time and that shit will never happen like that again. Each soul has it's contribution to be admired ,but some went far and beyond and Jamerson is one of them. 50 years later you still pick up on new nuances on recordings you may have heard hundreds of times as well as vault recordings never or seldom heard. That's on both upright and electric bass . Don't get me started on the genius of Jamerson. Oh God!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by daddyacey; 03-03-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Amen brothers and sisters

Does not get any better than this