[REMOVE ADS]

Where Did That Sample Come From?

OK folks, this should be fun & educational thread. Help me list rap songs with sampled RARE tracks. Let me start off with this one. I just got this CD by a rare band called BallinJack, fronted by the late Luther Rabb who later on joined WAR. You can hear their sample all over "Bust A Move"
    I'll try to think of more soon
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 02-29-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Now this is my kind of thread. PShark, thanks for coming up with this one.

One of my favorite Hip-Hop songs begins with the intro of this song....

Which begat one of the greatest & most sentimental Hio-Hop jams ever, proving that some in Hip-Hop indeed have a heart...

The horns from the above track came from the following track which I simply can't listen to in its entirety. This song serves to prove 2 things...
    1. The original IS NOT always better
    2. In the hands of a creative individual, even a few seconds can turn something ordinary into a work of art...

Be back with a few more
    Last edited by juicefree20; 02-29-2012 at 03:06 AM.

This...

Came from this intro, which is one of the earliest & most sampled tracks in Hip-Hop history...

I've begun my quest of completely alphabetizing, categorizing & adding catalog numbers to more than 800 gb of LPs & singles & adding sample info as well. So I know that i'm going to find a few gems in the process.

Surely, I must be out of my mind, Lord only knows when I'll be finished with all of that!

Damn shame that I still have over 460 gbs of music trapped on a drive which refuses to recognize the partition

Thanks Juice, really appreciate this. You come up with some good ones.
    This kind of rare Isaac Hayes instrumental was on the Geto Boy's "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" one of my favorite rap tunes

The clean vers. of Mind Playing Tricks On Me

This kind of rare Isaac Hayes instrumental was on the Geto Boy's "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" one of my favorite rap tunes
    Dam, never put them two together..........love it........this was actually my intro to Scarface........

fLinda Lyndell music career didn't last because of threats from the kkk

Jump in anytime people

Jumpin in...............

sampled by

Common - Testify
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsH2UgcLiHM

Samples: Honey Cone - Innocent Till Proven Guilty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGi-PUnbAXU

It may not be rare, but I've always liked Jam & Lewis' insert of the guitar part from Sly's Thank You into Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation

pulled @ 1:13-1:20

uptight Guest
    P-Shark, this looks like a cool thread. I never knew about the Luther Rabb "BallinJack" track. But you forgot to mention Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio" also sampled within the Young MC track.

I remember how popular sampling became in hip-hop during the early 1990s and how it came to a near halt after many originators of the music wanted to be credited and paid for the samples.
    Last edited by uptight; 03-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks Uptight. Man I didn't know Scorpio was sampled. Got to re-listen.
    Here's one that Too $hort sampled, using the same title