[REMOVE ADS]

Hallmark Releases Quality

Can someone say definitively if these are good quality CDs or transfers from vinyl? Are front and backs of the lps represented?

[QUOTE=paul_nixon;94688]
    I can certainly vouch for the quality of the tranfers and was pleasantly surpised in the case of Shades Of Gospel Soul

Paul,
    I think you mean the Great Gospel Stars

Strange that the label trademarks is copyrighted but not the music!!

The sound quality on the 4 CDs I've thus far received was a bit wanting. The one that I noticed sounded really terrible was "Hi! We're The Miracles". The sound on almost the entire CD sounded like a vinyl record with a scratch very clearly being evident to me. I just ordered them due to me being a avid Motown "completist" in collecting this music.

Howard in Long Beach, CA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    The sound quality on the 4 CDs I've thus far received was a bit wanting. The one that I noticed sounded really terrible was "Hi! We're The Miracles". The sound on almost the entire CD sounded like a vinyl record with a scratch very clearly being evident to me. I just ordered them due to me being a avid Motown "completist" in collecting this music.

Howard in Long Beach, CA, USA
    I didn't order the Miracles' disc as it was included in the Miracles release from Hip O Select. I did order Great Gospel Stars and The Twistin Kings.

Better a poor quality copy than none at all.I have the TKs from an Lp but I know this will be better.

The quality seems to be fine for the money and I think Hallmark are showing due respect to the Motown legacy with these releases. Being a saddo I'm now on my third CD version of The Miracles albums with these releases but the collector/completist in me dictates that I must have these Hallmark CDs!

Just to confirm; these are all transfers from vinyl. Obviously, the quality of the CD will be dependent on the quality of the vinyl we were able to source. Personally, I thought the transfer we did on the Twistin' Kings was exceptional. The Gospel Stars was a little more difficult since the original source was not the best, but I think we did an okay job in cleaning it up and did not muffle the overall sound. Unfortunately, the pops and hisses were impossible to remove, but, for what it is worth, I don't think it detracts too much from the overall feel of the album.

Mysterysinger - never apologise for being a saddo - there are more of us around than you would believe!

If the music is out of copyright and Hallmark can make a few quid out of this stuff..why don't they rip off...er I mean take a rip of the legitimate cd editions of 'Hi We're the Miracles' and 'Soulful moods of Marvin Gaye' to get the best quality - rather than ripping from old vinyl?

I think because the CD editions were copyrighted in the late 80's/early 90's.