[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Feb 21, 9P-12M ET: ANDY & GEORGE & "Diana '76"...Oh MY!

Name:  WOMRWFMRLOGOredux.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  13.1 KB

HAPPY FAT TUESDAY & MARDI GRAS, Folks! Today we celebrate... our LAST HURRAH...our final chance to let our appetites run amok before those of us who are catholic enough must tighten the reins of our id as tomorrow's Ash Wednesday reminds us what we are and from whence we came. Giving up for Lent is something I gave up years ago, but I respect those of you to whom self-denial is not only a religious necessity, but a true showing of character. I'll take hedonism every time!

And speaking of hedonism...tonight...on "Nightflight"...let me indulge you all with the premiere airing of "Diana Ross [[1976) Special Edition". Guiding us through this amazing time slip to when Diana finally recorded an album after over TWO years without...producers Andy Skurow and George Solomon will grace our airwaves, as they share with us the pleasure and pain of creating this most unique Diana special edition. Join us tonight for all this and so much more....on "Nightflight"....on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live on the internet in digital stereo at www.womr.org Tonight...please no phone calls...I'll already be on the phone with the guys...unable to answer...thanks!

Thanks...and a huge thanks to Andy and George!!!

PS...next week...a very special "Listener's Choice" tribute to the great Etta James by Joseph Monreal...
    SDF's OWN "sophisticated_soul"...in every sense of the words...

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  2192013.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  48.5 KB
    Last edited by midnight johnny; 02-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Can't wait! I suppose we'll all have Love Hangovers in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Can't wait! I suppose we'll all have Love Hangovers in the morning...
    Hey, Eric! But why wait until tomorrow morning [[*smile)?

You're a bad boy, midnight johnny...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    You're a bad boy, midnight johnny...
    Heh heh....Eric...even badder than I know....

RossHolloway Guest
    Can't wait to listen in. Please MJ play the alt version of To Love Again, it's my favorite gem from this set!

Wow! We get the double whammy, Andy and George. How cool is that! Looking forward to what I know will be a great show tonight. It seems just like yesterday when, what back in the day we came to call "the Love Hangover album", was first released. That magnificent cover and all that wonderfully, fabulous music. Now 36 years later it's being memorialized, digitized, rediscoverd and expanded. It's a Ross classic and Hip-O has done it justice. It sounds fresh and exciting all over again. Somebody, kiss me now!

PS: Thank you John for mentioning my Etta James tribute show. She was one of my favorites and I appreciate the opportunity to express publicly my affection for her and her music. I hope everyone will enjoy the program, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Can't wait to listen in. Please MJ play the alt version of To Love Again, it's my favorite gem from this set!
    Great, Ross! And I'm sure that track will be played!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Wow! We get the double whammy, Andy and George. How cool is that! Looking forward to what I know will be a great show tonight. It seems just like yesterday when, what back in the day we came to call "the Love Hangover album", was first released. That magnificent cover and all that wonderfully, fabulous music. Now 36 years later it's being memorialized, digitized, rediscoverd and expanded. It's a Ross classic and Hip-O has done it justice. It sounds fresh and exciting all over again. Somebody, kiss me now!

PS: Thank you John for mentioning my Etta James tribute show. She was one of my favorites and I appreciate the opportunity to express publicly my affection for her and her music. I hope everyone will enjoy the program, my friend.
    Yes! Tonight I get a chance to "double down" as the pundits now say [[every 5 seconds) with Andy & George. I am so looking forward to your Etta show....let's just skip Diana tonight and do Etta! [[*smile)

This will be a great show.

Are any of these getting archived somehow? It is very difficult to listen on the west coast when I am still at work. I usually only manage to listen to the very end.

But this will be a special one! Another special one.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to get Diana on Rhonda on your show. You should ask Andy and George that tonight.

I am so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o looking forward to this show tonight Johnny. The three of you on air together definitely have an electrifying chemistry. I'd send roses and telegrams from Ed Sullivan and Senator Cannon to the studio to be read but I don't want that to take time away from talking about this fabulous release.

DR76 has been on constant rotation since I got it [[with the exception of the time devoted to re-exploring Whitney Houston's back catalog) and what an amazing presentation. The sound quality, liners, alternates, etc. are perfect. In many ways this LP captures all the great versatility about Diana's Motown years better than any other. It has those Mass[[er) appeal ballads [[Mahogany, After You), a great Ashford & Simpson song [[Ain't Nothing But A Maybe), shows her ease with singing over Disco tracks [[Love Hangover) Retro Vaudeville numbers [[Kiss Me Now) or lite Funk [[You're Good My Child), and displays her growth as an interpreter of standards post Billie Holliday [[Smile). Pass my praises on to the guys and like Claudette Robinson was told to do to Smokey by Diana at the Supremes Farewell show, "Show em how much I love em" hehe

See everyone tonight!

Have a great show tonight, John [[I know you will).

Jim

John, this was my first DR album ever. the summer of 76 i heard Love Hangover and thought,who is that, that voice! i bought thealbum and fell in love. soon came Greatest Hits and then i knew i had a hangover. i bought every album up to that and since. looking forward to this show .david from baltimore

How I wish you had a play it again facility on your website Johnny!

If There's A Cure For This, I Don't Want It!

Regards

Eamonn

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This will be a great show.

Are any of these getting archived somehow? It is very difficult to listen on the west coast when I am still at work. I usually only manage to listen to the very end.

But this will be a special one! Another special one.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to get Diana on Rhonda on your show. You should ask Andy and George that tonight.
    Rob...thanks! Sorry you won't be able to hear most of the show. If you go to the station website [[www.womr.org)...and to the podcast section...you'll be able to hear a number of previously recorded shows/interviews that I've done over the years, including last year's Andy and George "More Hits...Supremes" show.
    No...I don't think having Diana on would be good for my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    I am so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o looking forward to this show tonight Johnny. The three of you on air together definitely have an electrifying chemistry. I'd send roses and telegrams from Ed Sullivan and Senator Cannon to the studio to be read but I don't want that to take time away from talking about this fabulous release.

DR76 has been on constant rotation since I got it [[with the exception of the time devoted to re-exploring Whitney Houston's back catalog) and what an amazing presentation. The sound quality, liners, alternates, etc. are perfect. In many ways this LP captures all the great versatility about Diana's Motown years better than any other. It has those Mass[[er) appeal ballads [[Mahogany, After You), a great Ashford & Simpson song [[Ain't Nothing But A Maybe), shows her ease with singing over Disco tracks [[Love Hangover) Retro Vaudeville numbers [[Kiss Me Now) or lite Funk [[You're Good My Child), and displays her growth as an interpreter of standards post Billie Holliday [[Smile). Pass my praises on to the guys and like Claudette Robinson was told to do to Smokey by Diana at the Supremes Farewell show, "Show em how much I love em" hehe

See everyone tonight!
    Glad you'll be here, Glen! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Have a great show tonight, John [[I know you will).

Jim
    Thanks Jim....hope you'll be here!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    John, this was my first DR album ever. the summer of 76 i heard Love Hangover and thought,who is that, that voice! i bought thealbum and fell in love. soon came Greatest Hits and then i knew i had a hangover. i bought every album up to that and since. looking forward to this show .david from baltimore
    David....so happy you'll be here....especially since the album is so significant to you.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    How I wish you had a play it again facility on your website Johnny!

If There's A Cure For This, I Don't Want It!

Regards

Eamonn
    Eamonn....sorry you'll miss the show. BUT....the station does archive podcasts...as long as I record the show. I've recorded many...and have some on podcast. Go to www.womr.org and go to the spoken word podcast link on the left side of the home page. If you do a little searching, you'l find my interviews with Janie Bradford, the Velvelettes, Frances Nero, Andy, George, and Blinky. As you download...give it time...the files are a little big.
    Thanks for your interest, Eamonn!

FYI...Folks...I will record tonight's show for future podcasting...now that I'm retired, I have all the time in the world [[*wink)!
    Also...please...if you have any questions for George or Andy [[or even me..but I don't know so much)...post them here!
    Do it. DO IT!!! Thanks....see you all in a bit!

John,thanks. i think that Diana IS THE QUEEN OF POP but that may be just my opinion.not trying to steal anyone else thunder.
    i would like if Andy and George could talk a bit about the out takes on disc 2. love the alternates. also i asked Andy earlier to also talk about the album Ross 1978.about

does anyone else feel that there were more singles on this album? After You, Good My Child?

I can hardly wait to hear the tunes and the stories from A&G tonight! the alternate Ain't Nothing But a Maybe really moves me and I am sure we will all be in Harmony tonight Have a great shoe Johnny!

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    I can hardly wait to hear the tunes and the stories from A&G tonight! the alternate Ain't Nothing But a Maybe really moves me and I am sure we will all be in Harmony tonight Have a great shoe Johnny!

Hey Tony! So glad you're here!

.....in the studio....

Excited for the show! :-)

thank you andy and george ,harry for this great album

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    I am sure we will all be in Harmony tonight
    I need to go where my mind is, le lo li

what songs were going to be on the soundtrack [[with vocals)

just a thought,this IS my fav Diana album. what is Johns,andys,george???fav album

Hi Andy & George,

Love the interview on disc 2. Two questions though. Since its edited, how long was it originally and what was cut out topic wise?

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    what songs were going to be on the soundtrack [[with vocals)
    The Mahogany Soundtrack was originally going to be Diana vocals on side 1 only. Side 2 was Massers instrumental score according to the last Taraborelli bio...

Theme From Mahogany
    I Thought It Took A Little Time
    After You
    To Love Again
    Together

thanks Glenpwood!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I need to go where my mind is, le lo li
    with the b/side la de da lol

sorry to say ,but to me,TOGETHER doesnt seem to fit the rest of the songs from this album. sounds more like an out take from LAST TIME I SAW HIM. ......maybe thats why it wasnty used on the original album,lol.
    was THIS CHRISTMAS the only holiday diana recorded during this time frame?

"Present for my Motown fix: Diana '76!"

I believe I just rhymed, yes?

Thanks John, Andy, and George!

Howard in Long Beach, CA, USA

Greetings from sunny Arizona! I am listening and messaging via cell phone [[ the magic of technology!) Hello to MJ, George and Mr. Andy. Thanks for playing " Mahogany ". This song was so influential in me becoming the fantastic person and fabulous drag queen I am today. Lol. No, I don't know where I am going to, but I'm having an amazing time getting there! Question: are there any Andantes on backing tracks on this set? And, why was Mahogany included on this set as well as the soundtrack?

atcsm Guest
    I have never listened to this show but am loving what I'm hearing. I just ordered the CD. Great job John.

Thanks Andy and George for answering my questions about the interview.

lets go back to day one,cool track

Oh and forgive me! One more question, not related to Diana 76. George eluded on SDF that he wasn't around when TCB was released, but he may have mentioned that he's done sone work on it, or may be doing some work on it. Can one assume that the soundtrack and/or a dvd may be released? Yes, that didn't go over my wig.

In Natalie Cole's memoir she talks about how she and Whitney Houston would commiserate over how many vocal takes Masser would have them do on a song....

Have you guys sent a copy of Diana Ross 76 to Diana Ross or any of her family?

I think you should just continue putting all of these out, all cuts. It's great.

LOVE youre good my child

Do you have any stories on Ain't Nothing But a Maybe and also how where did Harmony come from? did Diana record any other Elton songs?

atcsm Guest
    loved the Mas Que Nada response - controversy put to sleep.

so will we get TCB on dvd.thanks

Great show guys. I've just referred Marv to your show on the other thread; told him there were important things to listen to from you and wonderful performances as well.

I think he's already lurking. Great audience tonite John. Congratulations.

Guys, any hints on where we are going to for the next Diana Ross or Supremes expanded reissues?

atcsm Guest
    Gentlemen - the name says it all - why not name the albums after her??? Loving this.

I'm late but I'm here. I was out celebrating my feastday- Fat Tuesday... "Honey, fat is where it's at"
    It's great to hear those cuties Andy & George... and you, the always cute and gracious JP. How long have your guests been on? Will there be a podcast?