[REMOVE ADS]

Jermaine Jackson- Let's Get Serious!

Now here is a rare video and a great blast from the past! Jermaine singing his smash hit from 1980...."Let's Get Serious!"

Wow, what a blast from the 80s!

Most 70s and very early 80s were quite cheesy. This one's no different.

Stevie Wonder performed this song himself when he played Wembley Arena in 1980.

From that performance it was clear where most of the reasons for the success of this track originated. It would have made a tremendous Stevie Wonder single.

It's also noticeable that when Stevie produced other artists, he would often vocally pop up on the tracks involved. This track is one example. He was also all over Syreeta's output. [[One notable exception, however, was "Bad Weather" by The Supremes.)

When Marvin Gaye produced The Originals on "Baby I'm For Real" and "The Bells" he was also clearly audible as one of the vocalists.

Did such un-credited guest vocals help or hinder?

Also, was it ego or creativity?

I listen to Rufus' "Tell Me Something Good" and although I can't hear Stevie in the background, his sound is all over that song. I used to buy records from unknown bands if I liked the people producing the music and I typically was very happy with the purchase, even when none of my friends ever heard the songs on the radio. The big difference between being a great talent and a successful musician/singer is finding the right material for your sound and having the right person putting the track together IMO.

BTW: Whose nose is Jermaine wearing in that video?

I did'nt know let's get serious had a music video. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Most 70s and very early 80s were quite cheesy. This one's no different.
    Motown was not known for spending much on music videos. In fact, Berry was against it but knew it was an industry trend to sell records at the time. I don't believe they really invested in quality videos until Lionel Richie started to become popular as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Motown was not known for spending much on music videos. In fact, Berry was against it but knew it was an industry trend to sell records at the time. I don't believe they really invested in quality videos until Lionel Richie started to become popular as a solo artist.
    Back in those days, I believe that R&B artists had to fund their own music videos. Unless i'm mistaken, until now, the only Motown artist that I was aware of that did music videos was Rick James, who did "Super Freak" and "Standing On The Top"