[REMOVE ADS]

Musical Heritage Interviews

Hello All,

I am the teacher from Toronto...

Each year at this time, I come to tell you with excitement about our telephone interviews with those who paved the way musically for today's artists. My students aka "my kids" get a chance to do research on a sampled song or artists from the 50s, 60s or 70s. I have been doing this for over 20 years and maybe it is time for the 80s as well.

On Monday, we had a great interview with Kat Schaffner [[Marvelettes) and it was important for kids to hear that when she was their age, she had to perform to segregated audiences, work very hard under some terrible conditions, etc. At first the kids did not seem interested but what was supposed to be a 15 minute long distance call interview turned into a 50 minute one with them doing further research and listening to Marvelettes songs on YouTube.

Today, we had a great interview with Marshall Thompson [[Chi-Lites) and he talked about getting math, reading and writing skills as they were ripped off by Brunswick. None of the kids had ever heard of The Chi-Lites but when they did some research and heard the songs, they knew about the samples from Jay Z, Beyonce, Paul Wall and others. It was a fantastic interview and once again, they went straight to YouTube to watch The Chi-Lites.

Next week, we interview Fred Cash [[Impressions), Dennis Edwards [[Temptations) and hopefully, Roz and Annette [[Vandellas). I'll let you know how those go.

smark21 Guest
    Sounds like a great program you have going on!

I get excited about this even if others here do not.

We are interviewing Dennis Edwards [[Temptations) on Friday morning and Roz Holmes and Annette Helton [[Vandellas) in the afternoon. Next Tuesday will be Russell Thompkins [[Stylistics) and Wilbert Hart [[Delfonics).

I am so very proud and thankful for the people/artists who agree to speak to "my kids" as they do it in a second. It makes young kids look up Temptations, Delfonics, Chi-Lites, Marvelettes, etc. on Youtube and then both sides feel special. Fantastic!

Satipe,

You've been doing some great work for at least 9 years since I've been on this forum.

Thanks for introducing your young people to our artists & for helping to advance the knowledge of these artists & music to future generations, as that history is very important.

Just a great job for years Tim & I appreciate what you're doing not just for the artists, but also for the kids whom would be missing out on an important part of our musical history, if not for people such as ourself.

Salute!

We had the greatest interview with Roz and Annette a few weeks ago and what was supposed to be a 15 minute call actually lasted about 40 minutes. The kids were shocked to hear some of the stories of racism during the first Motown Revue and a few even said they would have fought. Annette said that if you fought, you would be dead and it led to a great discussion about Civil Rights history and then back to music.

We had a chat with Dennis Edwards and he was so great as I am sure he has had the same questions asked over and over again. He seemed quite interested when one student asked, "Were you like me at 17?" and then another asked, "What is it like to see the world?" One girl who wanted to ask questions but was so nervous as she kept whispering, "He was with The Temptations".

Thanks Juice for what you wrote...I am sorry for not responding earlier but I do not come here as much anymore. I hope you are doing well Sir!

From March to June, we hope to interview Billy Paul, Fred Cash, Russell Thompkins [[we had to rebook an interview with him as a young girl desperately wanted to talk to Russell but she was moving into a shelter-she really wants to interview him) and Freda Payne.

satipe, you are doing fantastic work without a doubt.I know it makes the artists feel proud, as it should.Opening the eyes of young people & expanding their knowledge is commendable on many levels.

What an impressive list of artists!