[REMOVE ADS]

This is why these ladies are unsung to me

I was around 10 years old the first time that I saw Sister Sledge on tv. I didn't remember their name but I was glued to the tv as these 4 young girls sang and danced across the Soul Train stage. I can almost describe it as one of those love at first sight things. The second time that I saw them, I instantly recognized them.
    Then 1979 hit and they were all over the radio, tv and in magazines. In fact, the very first album that I ever purchased was "We Are Family". I have been a huge fan ever since and have collected their music throughout the years.
    They have always been beautiful, talented and classy. I hate when I read that they are a "disco" group. They have made some great disco hits but their range is further than that. Just want to send a Happy Valentines Day to my favorite ladies of song

STILL BEAUTIFUL, STILL TALENTED IN 2011
    http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Backs...r-Sledge-Video
    Last edited by glencro; 02-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quick question: what exactly does "unsung" mean? U.S. resident, here.

Unsung is not given the credit that they deserve for their contribution. The Tuskegee Airmen were unsung heroes.

That is nice. Thanks for that post.

Thanks. It's just that "unsung" is not a term used in the U.S., and I didn't know what it meant.

You're welcomed soulster. I'm a Detroit resident

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    You're welcomed soulster. I'm a Detroit resident
    Still, the term is not used here.

I believe this was the first time I saw Sister Sledge in this 1974 episode of Soul Train. They are performing their first hit "Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me". Great song:

Nile Rogers and Bernard Edwards had a great vehicle for their music in Sister Sledge. I personally believe they infused too much of the Chic sound in their earlier records and kind of pigeon-holed them into a style that limited them. I would like to have heard other producers work with them to give them more range. BTW, "He's the Greatest Dancer" was one of my favorite songs from that era.

Sister Sledge was an example of class where there was true talent and no booty shaking. I like Beyonce and all of these other girl groups but if you put Sister Sledge, or En Vogue and I will even go so far as to say TLC girl groups of today cant hold a candle to these women. TLC had style and could dance and the rest of the girl groups I named were great vocally! The only time I really enjoyed listening to Destinys child was when they came out with their christmas album! They can really harmonize! Im sorry but when I see Sister Sledge I think of the days when people had talent even Brownstone, SWV and High Inergy I cant take the rap and the autotune anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I believe this was the first time I saw Sister Sledge in this 1974 episode of Soul Train. They are performing their first hit "Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me". Great song:

Marv2, this was the first time that I ever saw them also. Jerry Oz, I thought that Narada Michael Walden did a great job of taking their sound to another level with the "All American Girls" album. I just felt that some of the wrong songs were released as singles.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Thanks. It's just that "unsung" is not a term used in the U.S., and I didn't know what it meant.
    Are you serious? That's a very popular American term that's been around a very long time. Unsung Hero is someone who made great contribution somehow but is not well known. So Sister Sledge is far from beng "unsung", so the heading of this thread has got me confused
    And Marv, that was actually 1975
    Soul Train
    Season Four

4.30 "Blue Magic/ Sister Sledge/ Major Harris"
    3 votes

• Episode Number: 136
    • Production Code: 136
    • Original Air Date: April 12, 1975
    • Guest Cast:
      • Blue Magic [[Guests)
      • Major Harris [[Guest)
      • Sisster Sledge [[Guests)
    Vote for this episode: 0 - Mediocre 1 - Very Bad 2 - Fair 3 - Good 4 - Very Good 5 - Excellent
    Detailed summary
    Blue Magic "Never Gonna Get Over You", "Love Has Found It's Way to Me" and "Sideshow"
    Sister Sledge "Love, Don't You Go Through No Changes on Me" and "Circle of Love"
    Major Harris "Love Won't Let me Wait"

Hey thanks for the correction P-Shark. I knew it was from somewhere right in there.

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Marv2, this was the first time that I ever saw them also. Jerry Oz, I thought that Narada Michael Walden did a great job of taking their sound to another level with the "All American Girls" album. I just felt that some of the wrong songs were released as singles.
    I was a big fan of Narada, as well, so I need to dig that album out and listen to it again. I had younger ears back then and probably expected more of the same, so it kind of let me down. I probably missed some of the better tracks while listening for something that I thought would sound better over loud speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Are you serious? That's a very popular American term that's been around a very long time. Unsung Hero is someone who made great contribution somehow but is not well known. So Sister Sledge is far from beng "unsung", so the heading of this thread has got me confused
    And Marv, that was actually 1975
    Soul Train
    Season Four

4.30 "Blue Magic/ Sister Sledge/ Major Harris"
    3 votes

• Episode Number: 136
    • Production Code: 136
    • Original Air Date: April 12, 1975
    • Guest Cast:
      • Blue Magic [[Guests)
      • Major Harris [[Guest)
      • Sisster Sledge [[Guests)
    Vote for this episode: 0 - Mediocre 1 - Very Bad 2 - Fair 3 - Good 4 - Very Good 5 - Excellent
    Detailed summary
    Blue Magic "Never Gonna Get Over You", "Love Has Found It's Way to Me" and "Sideshow"
    Sister Sledge "Love, Don't You Go Through No Changes on Me" and "Circle of Love"
    Major Harris "Love Won't Let me Wait"
    I consider them unsung because outside of "We Are Family" and "He's The Greatest Dancer" your average music listener probably can't name many other songs by them. Growing up I remember hearing such songs as "Got To Love Somebody", "Reach Your Peak", "All American Girls", "He's Just A Runaway", "My Guy", "Frankie" on the radio regularly. This being one of my favs

You are right Glen.

Outside of We Are Family and He's The Greatest Dancer, I don't know any Sister Sledge songs. But somebody here posted their recent appearance singing those two songs.............and I've got WAF on a gym cd..............so, I started listening again.

They are excellent; but unsung.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Unless U.S. means Unlimited Stupid......you've got to be kidding.

Geez dude.....just because u don't know what it means.....doesn't make "unworldly".

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You are right Glen.

Outside of We Are Family and He's The Greatest Dancer, I don't know any Sister Sledge songs. But somebody here posted their recent appearance singing those two songs.............and I've got WAF on a gym cd..............so, I started listening again.

They are excellent; but unsung.
    Jobeterob, they've recorded some really great songs outside of those two megahits. Check this one out