[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Does anyone think that Cissy Houston could be a classic stage mother monster in the vein of Mama Rose or Judy Garland's mother, whom Judy described as the "real wicked witch of the west"?
    I don't think anyone thinks of Cissy- outside of when she would appear with Whitney at certain functions and award shows. I have never heard anyone refer to her as a saint. If anything I've heard more stories of her not being so nice. This is an intersting topic. I will add my 2 cents. Yes I think she was a "stage mother". I have this feeling that both Cissy and Dionne- and perhaps Darlene Love, wanted for Whitney what they never achieved in their own careers- to be the top diva. I won't get all into why, it is just a feeling. I wonder if Whitney tried to portray this in her "Greatest love of all" video where her mother was standing there waiting in the wings. Another off topic observation I have thought about is this- Many try to make it seem as if the damage done to Whitney's voice was totally the result of drugs. I don't think that to be the case. All threee of them, Dionne, Cissy and Whitney's voices all got deeper and raspy sounding as they got older. I think its a family trait. Regardless if Cissy was a monster stage mother, she is in pain now and should be allowed to grieve the loss of her daughter.

What is Darlene Love's connection to Whitney Houston? I never heard that she was part of that talented family.

Dionne Warwick, like others such as Aretha and even Neil Diamond, was a heavy smoker for years which undoubtedly led to the deterioration of her voice. I can't even listen to any of her "recent" [[10 years at least) recordings because the voice is just barely suggestive of what it once was. Apparently, Houston smoked as well.

I also think that Houston was still too young for time to really affect her voice. I've seen the vids where she was booed on stage, but have not heard samples from her '09 album, so would be interested how her voice fared in the studio during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What is Darlene Love's connection to Whitney Houston? I never heard that she was part of that talented family.

Dionne Warwick, like others such as Aretha and even Neil Diamond, was a heavy smoker for years which undoubtedly led to the deterioration of her voice. I can't even listen to any of her "recent" [[10 years at least) recordings because the voice is just barely suggestive of what it once was. Apparently, Houston smoked as well.

I also think that Houston was still too young for time to really affect her voice. I've seen the vids where she was booed on stage, but have not heard samples from her '09 album, so would be interested how her voice fared in the studio during that time.
    I added Darlene because I saw her on TV speaking on Cissy and Whitney. She says Whitney was like a daughter to her. She also wrote alot about Whitney in her book.

Regarding Whitney's vocals on her last album. To me they sounded almost fake. Like it was put together word by word. At the time when her album was out and she didn't get any grammy nominations for it, most fans couldn't understand why she was shut out. I figured it was because people in the business knew the deal with her "real" vocals and all the production that went into making that album. Her vocals appeared to be "altered" at times.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 02-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Skooldem1, Thanks for the additional info...K

Speaking of her last CD, her song "I look to you" is the song that has stuck with me since she passed for some reason. I think its because of the lyrics. Its almost biographical. Its about a person who is surrendering their life to Jesus. Out of all the songs in her catalog this one really moves me now. It damn near makes me want to cry knowing what we all know now.

As I lay me down
    Heaven hear me now
    I’m lost without a cause
    After giving it my all

Winter storms have come
    And darkened my sun
    After all that I’ve been through
    Who on earth can I turn to?

Chorus:
    I look to you,
    I look to you
    After all my strength is gone
    In you I can be strong
    I look to you,
    I look to you
    And when melodies are gone In you I hear a song
    I look to you

'bout to lose my breath
    There's no more fighting left
    Sinking to rise no more
    Searching for that open door

And every road that I've taken
    Led to my regret
    And I don't know if I'm go'n make it
    Nothing to do but lift my head

Chorus:

My levees are broken
    My walls are coming down on me
    My rain is falling
    Defeat is calling
    I need you to set me free
    Take me far away from the battle
    I need you
    Shine on me!

Chorus:

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Along with Aretha, Miss Darlene is Whitney's Godmother.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Speaking of her last CD, her song "I look to you" is the song that has stuck with me since she passed for some reason. I think its because of the lyrics. Its almost biographical. Its about a person who is surrendering their life to Jesus. Out of all the songs in her catalog this one really moves me now. It damn near makes me want to cry knowing what we all know now.

As I lay me down
    Heaven hear me now
    I’m lost without a cause
    After giving it my all

Winter storms have come
    And darkened my sun
    After all that I’ve been through
    Who on earth can I turn to?

Chorus:
    I look to you,
    I look to you
    After all my strength is gone
    In you I can be strong
    I look to you,
    I look to you
    And when melodies are gone In you I hear a song
    I look to you

'bout to lose my breath
    There's no more fighting left
    Sinking to rise no more
    Searching for that open door

And every road that I've taken
    Led to my regret
    And I don't know if I'm go'n make it
    Nothing to do but lift my head

Chorus:

My levees are broken
    My walls are coming down on me
    My rain is falling
    Defeat is calling
    I need you to set me free
    Take me far away from the battle
    I need you
    Shine on me!

Chorus:
    Who wrote this song?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Who wrote this song?
    Diane Warren.

i love every song but one on that last cd "I look to you" it debut at #1 it was well done considering how her voice had changed. unf. none of her singles hit the top twenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Diane Warren.

Actually, R. Kelly wrote it, Roberta.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    i love every song but one on that last cd "I look to you" it debut at #1 it was well done considering how her voice had changed. unf. none of her singles hit the top twenty.
    But it fell of the charts fairly quickly. It got #1 due to fanbase and a major promotional push. But it didn't become a sustained, word of mouth success like The Bodyguard soundtrack or Adele's 21. So while it wasn't a failed comeback, it wasn't a big comeback either. I heard she'll be singing a few songs on the Sparkle soundtrack. Does anyone know about what she recorded?

I keep hearing about "His eye is on the Sparrow".

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I thought exactly the same and "I look to you" was the video of hers I choose to look when I knew she was dead. The woman and her voice in this particular song touched me and moved me deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    Actually, R. Kelly wrote it, Roberta.
    Thank you simplysupreme.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thank you simplysupreme.

Roberta

I think R. Kelly is producing the "Sparkle" soundtrack also.

Robyn Crawford remembers Whitney.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/musi...?src=soc_fcbks