[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson and the Supremes on the Biography Channel

Luke, did you know Mary filmed an entire one hour episode for this program back around 2000, but they never aired it because of music rights issues?

Really Marv? Why on earth are the Supremes treated like this by Motown and or Jobete???? Come to think of it I dont remember them singing on the show now!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Really Marv? Why on earth are the Supremes treated like this by Motown and or Jobete???? Come to think of it I dont remember them singing on the show now!!
    Yeah! I remember discussing it at the time, but there was nothing they could do about it. It was whoever held the copyrights to the music and original recordings at that time.

What it does is chips away from the Supremes legend in regards to the public's consciousness as compare to other legendary artists such as the Beatles.

I normally dont look at people and their reactions on clips like this but the look on Marys face was priceless when she said they changed the name to Diana Ross and the Supremes because Mr Gordy said they could make more money and at 4:20 she says "there you have it"...like she didnt believe that was the reason they changed the name...LOL

I liked this clip thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I normally dont look at people and their reactions on clips like this but the look on Marys face was priceless when she said they changed the name to Diana Ross and the Supremes because Mr Gordy said they could make more money and at 4:20 she says "there you have it"...like she didnt believe that was the reason they changed the name...LOL

I liked this clip thanks for sharing.
    You noticed that too huh? Well at least she didn't roll eyes in this clip as has done in another interview clip when the subject of discussion was how it was explained to the Supremes and other artists that they owed the company for recording costs and just about everything else! LOL!!!

that's the reason that there was never a film of the best selling DREAMGIRL book by Mary Wilson;
    although I always thought they should have made it ANYWAY without the music, or with just the Broadwayshow tunes, cover versions, that the girls did, whenever they needed a stage appearance sequence

Yes I noticed the same thing. Youre welcome. It would be be nice if Andy or Harry would comment on the situation with the Supremes' music always beng denied for shows/movies. If Marv's explaination is correct it's time to cut the crap.

Yes I noticed the same thing. Youre welcome. It would be be nice if Andy or Harry would comment on the situation with the Supremes' music always beng denied for shows/movies. If Marv's explaination is correct it's time to cut the crap.
    Oh it is correct because I spoke to her about it at that time and, well...........hehehehehehehe....!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    that's the reason that there was never a film of the best selling DREAMGIRL book by Mary Wilson;
    although I always thought they should have made it ANYWAY without the music, or with just the Broadwayshow tunes, cover versions, that the girls did, whenever they needed a stage appearance sequence
    Jimi, you know how much they are charging for that gig you are working at the Okeha Castle? $200 -$1500 !

It's so illogical. They want to sell Supremes records but wont allow the music to be played and publicized. Can you know who still have so much power???

It's so illogical. They want to sell Supremes records but wont allow the music to be played and publicized. Can you know who still have so much power???
    I don't know, but I know it pissed more than a few people off when they had to put that show in the can or on the shelf. Portions of it no doubt were used in that little piece you shared with us with Mary doing a current interview portion at home. I am sure it is not very hard to learn who controls the licensing of the music now. I just think that it would have been a nice promotional piece historically speaking had it aired back in 2000. There were no controversial aspects to it at all.

Berry Gordy?

Berry Gordy?
    I am really not sure.

We've been through this one as well. And my recollection is that Andy came on here and confirmed it.

Almost without doubt, and as standard legal work, Berry Gordy, when he sold Motown would have retained the rights to approve the use of any Motown music attached to any porttrayal of his life and likely that of his family.

You can define "family"!

He probably wants to do it on his own or give it to his estate, not have others do it. He'll take the money, thanks.

The restrictive covenant may include a time period covering more than just his life, perhaps that of all his living children plus 50 years.

it seemed to be common knowledge at the time;
    a best seller like "DREAMGIRL" was certainly optioned for a film, and Gordy saw the book as a violation of trust and an attack and used his Jobete publishing power to make sure no Motown tunes would appear in any film that Mary had a hand in...
    in show biz, this is what happens; Motown had complete control over the VH1 films about The Temptations and The Jackson 5, since they had the ultimate power; music publishing and license rights...

Supremes arising

We may not have a supremes film, but we have references that the supremes were and always will be great i.e DREAMGIRLS INSPIRED BY THE SUPREMES LEGACY.
    the rtl stopped in the name of love, when Mary went on the air to air dirty laundry
    sad but true, and the supremes in the end were not just the lead singer.

thanks a bunch marv for sharing you always amaze us with your great discoveries.

i have no control over the cover charges at the Castle, Marv; it's a fundraiser, and I'm just a paid hand for the evening, I'll be Dj ing in the VIP Lounge while Jellybean works the big room, I doubt that I'll even get a chance to talk to him that night,there's quite a buzz on this event..

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    We may not have a supremes film, but we have references that the supremes were and always will be great i.e DREAMGIRLS INSPIRED BY THE SUPREMES LEGACY.
    the rtl stopped in the name of love, when Mary went on the air to air dirty laundry
    sad but true, and the supremes in the end were not just the lead singer.

thanks a bunch marv for sharing you always amaze us with your great discoveries.
    You are welcome Fran and thank you for knowing the truth, the real truth and being unafraid to speak it!

Marv

i have no control over the cover charges at the Castle, Marv; it's a fundraiser, and I'm just a paid hand for the evening, I'll be Dj ing in the VIP Lounge while Jellybean works the big room, I doubt that I'll even get a chance to talk to him that night,there's quite a buzz on this event..
    Jimi, I know you don't [[have control over the cost etc..). I didn't mean to sound like "get me in for free" LOL! I was just getting excited about it and telling a few folks I know out here in Suffolk about it. I went to their website earlier today and saw that it was a benefit. Usually I could talk my company into sponsoring tickets to such an event, but that's a no go these days.

it seemed to be common knowledge at the time;
    a best seller like "DREAMGIRL" was certainly optioned for a film, and Gordy saw the book as a violation of trust and an attack and used his Jobete publishing power to make sure no Motown tunes would appear in any film that Mary had a hand in...
    in show biz, this is what happens; Motown had complete control over the VH1 films about The Temptations and The Jackson 5, since they had the ultimate power; music publishing and license rights...
    Also, I might add that they had control over the story that the public would see. That is a lot of power. Do you know that there are probably millions of people [[many of them very young) that now believe the story of the Temptations in that movie was completely accurate? It was even filmed in Pittsburgh of all places and not Detroit! LOL!