[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye live albums

Which one do you consider to be the best? I love LIVE. DISTANT LOVER is magnificent.

Is the LONDON PALLADIUM the complete show? Or were parts cut? He didn't do the two biggest hits off I WANT YOU, which I always thought was odd.

And is THE LAST CONCERT TOUR any good?

The Palladium was the best in my opinion.

Live was my second choice.

The Last Concert/ if its the one I think you're referring to, I considered that one a bootleg.

Conversely his Live at Montreaux DVD set was very entertaining.

Maybe I've forgotten but Marvin's live albums were always sort of uneven and not the tour de force that I expected. One thing for sure, the releases were all over the place and when he went into the older cuts, like those with Tammi, Doggone, You, etc......they were always medleys and snippets, yet they were always there, and truthfully they were boring, but that's just my opinion. I absolutely love Marvin.

I do agree that Distant Lover was sublime.

uptight Guest
    I wondered, when the artists did perform their latest songs during the live recordings, whether some of those tunes were cut out of the live album. It's as if the record company preferred that you buy the studio album intead for those tunes. It would kind of make sense from a record company perspective, but is maybe unfair to fans.

"Distant Lover" is still my favorite live track; while the "Fossil" medleys were underwhelming.

I wonder if they possibly removed "I want You" from Palladium album to make room for the studio track "Got To Give It Up."

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    I wondered, when the artists did perform their latest songs during the live recordings, whether some of those tunes were cut out of the live album. It's as if the record company preferred that you buy the studio album intead for those tunes. It would kind of make sense from a record company perspective, but is maybe unfair to fans.

"Distant Lover" is still my favorite live track; while the "Fossil" medleys were underwhelming.

I wonder if they possibly removed "I want You" from Palladium album to make room for the studio track "Got To Give It Up."
    When Marvin did the Royal Albert Hall in 1976 [[during the same visit as the Palladium gig, I think), he did a stunning "Distant Lover" but he didn't include any songs from "I Want You". I thought that this was strange since it was his latest album but, nonetheless, that's how it was.

RossHolloway Guest
    What about his At the Copa CD? I actually enjoyed that one a lot.