[REMOVE ADS]

Eddie kendricks-oringinator of the temptations?

Now,before i write another word let me state that there's nobody here that's a bigger otis williams fan than i we all know that he has kept the temps around for fifty wonderful years no doubt,and i'm not trying to start a civil war here like the ones in the supremes post[i think that true temptations fans are alot more civil]but this is my point in the book otis says that in[1960]eddie called him about getting together and asked if paul could come along which gave them two great singers and dance steps[otis discribes himself as a wallflower]now of course we will never know but would otis,melvin,el bryant and whoever else they picked up gotten signed by berry without the chorography that paul gave them and have we tempoholics given credit to the wrong man for the actual putting together of the temptations??...let me hear from you tempoholics on this one!!

Eddie, Paul and Kell were as much, if not more responsible for what we ended up with we "discovered" "The Temptations". Otis and his group, the Distants were alright, but nothing special when it came to the local Detroit music scene. They were a dime a dozen! Eddie and especially Paul are the ones that set them apart before the got David. They were the ones that understood the "wow factor" when it came to entertainment!

That's what i'm getting at marv.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    That's what i'm getting at marv.
    Well yeah . You see Eddie, Paul and them were slightly older, experience guys in terms of the stage and being on the road. Much like Levi and the Tops were. When they met up with Otis's group of basically local Detroit teenagers that could sing. But there were hundreds of groups around the Detroit area at that time that could carry a tune. Paul was Mr. Showmanship and no one , I mean no one had a voice quite like Eddie James Kendricks at that time!

I would say that Eddie gave the early Temptations their uniqueness along with what Paul Williams contributed. Otis was the anchor, hahahahaha...

I don't think we've given the wrong man credit for putting them together, Qtis himself said that this happened, however Otis deserves quite a bit of credit for keeping them together.

I mostly agree that Eddie and Paul gave the group the "it" factor that gave them separation, from the other groups at the time,a thought, when Eddie was with the Primes did he sing in his natural range or was he singing in his adopted falsetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    I mostly agree that Eddie and Paul gave the group the "it" factor that gave them separation, from the other groups at the time,a thought, when Eddie was with the Primes did he sing in his natural range or was he singing in his adopted falsetto?
    Eddie used his falsetto voice ever since he was a teenager. One thing I always wanted to know was if he was influenced at all by Clyde Mcphatter [[sp?)

I thought I had read that Mr. Osborne sang in a high tenor voice.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Would Otis,Melvin,El Bryant and whoever else they picked up gotten signed by Berry without the chorography that Paul gave them and have we Tempoholics given credit to the wrong man for the actual putting together of the temptations?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  21.1 KB
    Berry wanted The Distants to sign with him when they included Richard Street, Pete Crawford, El Bryant, Otis and Melvin. But, when Richard quit the group, not wanting to stay with them when signing with Motown. The group needed a new lead singer. If they had stayed the previous Distants group they WOULD have been signed [[Berry told them to come to him when their contract with Johnnie Mae Matthews was up). But, if they HADN'T gotten Eddie and Paul to join them, they'd have had to find another good lead singer for Berry to want them.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  21.1 KB
    berry wanted the distants to sign with him when they included richard street, pete crawford, el bryant, otis and melvin. But, when richard quit the group, not wanting to stay with them when signing with motown. The group needed a new lead singer. If they had stayed the previous distants group they would have been signed [[berry told them to come to him when their contract with johnnie mae matthews was up). But, if they hadn't gotten eddie and paul to join them, they'd have had to find another good lead singer for berry to want them.
    thank you robb for pointing this out,i had almost forgotten that berry did want the distants but without the talents of eddie and paul they indeed would've been[just another singing group].