[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dave I`m 65 and if you are younger then you are typical of today`s youth that have no respect for their elders.A fatal beating or two wouldn`t go astray.

When have I ever shown disrespect for either of my elders?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Shorty had 3 records on the Trip Phi Label #1006, #1015, and #1021 consisting of five different songs. The first two had the same "B" side. Does anyone know if these selections are available anywhere else, i. e. a compact disc. I wish these had been included but there must be a problem with rereleasing Tri Phi songs. Any insight by anyone?
    To the best of my knowledge, Shorty Long's Tri-Phi singles have not been issued on CD. Harvey Fuqua, founder of the seminal doo wop group the Moonglows, started the Tri-Phi [[Shorty Long, the Spinners) and Harvey [[Junior Walker, the Five Quails) labels. He was married to Berry Gordy's sister Gwen. He was responsible for bringing Shorty Long, the Spinners and Junior Walker to Motown. It's my understanding that Motown acquired the rights to the Tri-Phi and Harvey masters, which would mean that Universal now owns them. It would be terrific if someone [[Ace perhaps?) would issue an anthology of the Tri-Phi and Harvey masters.

Thank you Nothing But Soul. Your response is what I anticipated. I too agree that it would be nice if all them were redone on CD. ACE would do great in releasing them. It seems logical that Universal owns them. I don't know why they are keeping them from us.

I don't know of any evidence that Motown acquired the rights to the Fuqua masters, though they did cop a very few [["That's What Grils Are Made For" and some of the tracks on the second Junior Walker LP), and I don't know where they are now: not in the Motown Vaults, for sure.

Thanks for clarifying that, Keith, although I'm sorry to hear it. I was really hoping to get the Shorty Long Tri-Phi singles and "Been a Long Time" by the Five Quails on CD. The person[[s) who compiled the 2003 Shotgun/Soul Session CD must have had access to the Harvey masters because "Willie's Blues", the B-side of Junior Walker's first Harvey single, is included as a bonus track.

RossHolloway Guest
    Didn't the tracks that Jr. Walker cut while at Harvey end up as his Soul Session lp?

I tend to agree with you, Ross. I've always thought that most, if not all, of the Soul Session album was comprised of Harvey tracks. One good indication as to which of his tracks are pre-Motown is the absence of the bass of James Jamerson. There are also Harvey tracks on the Shotgun [["Cleo's Mood") and Road Runner [["Twist Lackawanna") LPs.

RossHolloway Guest
    Nothing But Soul - With my ears, the tracks from Soul Session always sounded like they were recorded earlier than their Shotgun lp., which I always thought was strange when I first heard the album. And it was years later that I seem to recall reading that the album was in fact a collection of earlier pre-Motown recordings. Not to get too far off track, but does anyone know when and what Jr. Walker's first recording at Motown actually was?

There was, of course, a "Tri Phi" CD a few years ago which included the Five Quails material - here is a pic and a track listing.....
    Attachment 4716

The Spinners
    Their Early Years
    With Harvey, The Five Quails & The Challengers
    Tri Phi CD 1001

Tracks
    Spinners
    -That's What Girls Are Made For
    -Subuster
    -Heeby Jeebies
    -Love [[I'm So Glad) I've Found You
    -What Did She Use
    -I've Been Hurt
    -I Got Your Water Boiling
    -Too Young, Too Much, Too Soon
    -Itching For My Baby
    -She Don't Love Me

Harvey & Spinners
    -Whistling 'Bout You
    -Come On And Answer Me
    -She Loves Me So

Loe & Joe & Spinners
    -That's How I Am Without You

5 Qualis
    -Been A Long Time
    -Never Felt Like This Before
    -Get To School On Time
    -I Thought
    -Over The Hump
    -My Love

Challengers
    -Honey Honey Honey
    -Stay
    -Everyday
    -I Hear An Echo

Harvey
    -Memories Of You

Thanks, Mysterysinger, I did not know about the "Tri Phi" CD. I checked on allmusic.com and they gave it a favorable review, although they mentioned that there are no liner notes, songwriting credits or pictures of any of the artists other than the Spinners. This makes me wonder if this CD could possibly be a bootleg like the Ric-Tic Relics CDs.

Bootleg or not I might never have heard the majority of these tracks were it not for this CD. It is an enjoyable listen.

Got an e-mail late last night from Amazon US telling me that the release has been delayed again, this time from 4/10 to 4/17. I wonder what created this second delay? I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, though. Excited for this one from what I've read here!

Just thought I'd bump this up as Mr. Hughes may not have seen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Keith,
    Is there a finished master of 'Give Me My Flowers While I'm Living' in the vaults? Or did the song evolve into 'Give Me Some Air'- as only Shorty is listed as composer?

I received emails from blowitoutahere.com yesterday that the Shorty Long "Complete Stereo Masters" and "Nobody Wins: Stax Southern Soul" [[another new Ace release) were shipped to me on April 6 and should arrive within 3 to 10 business days. I pre-ordered both of these several weeks ago. "Blowitoutahere" is an Amazon market place seller, but since Amazon does not list market place sellers for a CD until it has been released, I ordered directly from the blowitoutahere.com website. Their price is lower than Amazon's and it looks like I'll be getting these CDs sooner from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    I received emails from blowitoutahere.com yesterday that the Shorty Long "Complete Stereo Masters" and "Nobody Wins: Stax Southern Soul" [[another new Ace release) were shipped to me on April 6 and should arrive within 3 to 10 business days. I pre-ordered both of these several weeks ago. "Blowitoutahere" is an Amazon market place seller, but since Amazon does not list market place sellers for a CD until it has been released, I ordered directly from the blowitoutahere.com website. Their price is lower than Amazon's and it looks like I'll be getting these CDs sooner from them.
    I have ordered many items from Blowitouttahere but only through Amazon so checked out their site. Wow, the Shorty Long CD was really hard to find in their own site. It's listed as "Here Comes: Complete Motown Stereo Masters" and doesn't seem to have the singer's name cataloged at all! But it is a good price, $14.98. Thanks for the tip.

Name:  av-3.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember reading that Harvey Fuqua died. If Gwen Gordy is still alive, she would be the one to contact about acquiring rights to use recordings.

I always thought that ALL the Hardye Productions recordings went to Motown in the 1963 "merger/fold-in" of Harvey/Tri-Phi with Motown. I didn't think that all their Jr. Walker cuts, and "Some Day We'll Be Together" and "Just Too Much To Hope For" and a few other songs, whose publishing rights changed from Harvey Music to Jobete Music, were bought in individual deals. Has someone checked BMI.com and ASCAP.com to see who owns those Shorty Long songs, now?

Robb

Gwen passed a good ten years ago now.

Could possession be considered as ownership if all parties were no longer?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Robb

Gwen passed a good ten years ago now.

Could possession be considered as ownership if all parties were no longer?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 520
    By law in USA and Canada, the rights would fall to the issue [[sons and daughters of the original owners [[Gwen and Harvey), for. I believe, the remainder of the copyright period of the parent, and then [[if I'm not mistaken) for 20 years after that. After those 20 years, the property enters the public domain Isn't that also the case in UK and all of Europe? I thought I read that Europe just recently voted to extend those rights the extra 25 years, to 75, to match the ,North American laws.

I thought that Harvey Fuqua's son has been handling his rights. Did Gwen have children?

Views: 503
    I just checked BMI.com. Just as I suspected-EVERY ONE of Shorty's Tri-Phi songs has its publishing rights owned by Motown's Stone Agate Music [[formerly Jobete Music). I will now check the other Tri-Phi songs. I'd bet the farm that they are also owned by Motown publishers.

What I had heard many years ago was that Harvey and Gwen were compensated for those rights when they and their companies were folded into Motown [[maybe Gwen's % share in the company was increased [[or she was given a share?)and Harvey was compensated with cash and a position as a major producer? And those rights were then transfered to Motown Record Corp. and publisher Jobete Music. I always thought that the master tapes went into The Motown Vaults. Why else would Five Quails acetates and Harvey/Tri-Phi papers, contracts, etc. have been physically there at Motown? Harvey and Gwen would have taken them home if they were not owned by Motown.

Views: 522
    After checking songs for The Spinners, Five Quails, Challengers III, Harvey, Merced Blue Notes and Ervin Sisters, I found that almost all are still published by Stone Agate. The Challengers [[III) and Ervin Sisters weren't there. But that might be a result of them being overlooked at renewal time, or that Motown just didn't want to renew them, or that they are still published by a Motown ASCAP publisher?, or some mistake.

I suspect that Universal/Motown should still have the rights to sell CDs with Shorty's Tri-Phi product. They should still have the master tapes as well [[I would guess).

"Give Me My Flowers": no trace of that title in the Motown paperwork I've seen, pj1.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 04-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Clearly Jobete acquired the publishing rights to most of those titles: "Someday We'll Be Together" would have been unlikely to have been selected for the last DR & TS single if they hadn't. But did they acquire Fuqua's masters? I am not the only person who has hunted for them unsuccessfully in the Vaults. And I believe the legal people have not found any paperwork to cover such a sale, so even if the tapes could be found, UM would be unlikely to clear such material for release now.

Views: 511
    Can't Harvey Fuqua's son be contacted? Wasn't he contacted previously for other issues? Isn't he the one that runs the website on The Moonglows, and Harvey Fuqua's biography?
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-08-2012 at 02:56 PM.

I can supply a copy of "What`s The Matter" on cd if anyone is interested. Just leave your address in notifications. Regs. Roger.

Who is the talking voice with Shorty on "Stranded In The Jungle"? That's the Originals providing backing, I can hear that as clear as day.

So I am thinking it might be Freddie "Mr Postman" Gorman?

John,
    I assume you mean the line "Meanwhile back in the city/jungle". If you listen to The Motown Story Volume 1 : The 1960's, cd 2, song 19 [[or even the vinyl version), there is a snippet of an interview with Freddie Gorman. It sounds like it may well be Freddie's voice.

Silly me, I forgot to mention the part where there was talking but you are spot on! *smile*

I recall Freddie's voice being quite deep, that's what me think that it was him. By the way, my original 1968 mono album version is not the same as this stereo version.

The whole ACE album is just superb. I so love Shorty Long. He was my favourite male vocalist in the 60's. I was quite upset when I heard of his passing.

I'd like ACE to do his complete MONO masters too....I'm greedy like that! At least it would have this MASTERPIECE....the vocal for instrumental version

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

The whole ACE album is just superb. I so love Shorty Long. He was my favourite male vocalist in the 60's. I was quite upset when I heard of his passing.

I'd like ACE to do his complete MONO masters too....I'm greedy like that! At least it would have this MASTERPIECE....the vocal for instrumental version
    Wow! Shorty Long was your favorite male vocalist. That's quite an endorsement. My dad says he remembers some people around Detroit not taking him seriously because of some of his "party" records. He says he didn't buy Shorty's first soul album until the 1980s although he had ample opportunity to do so in 1968. He also remembers the day they announced Shorty's death on CKLW just hours after the accident occured.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 04-09-2012 at 12:16 PM.

I chose Shorty as my favourite because it was always his tracks that I used to play. At that time, I had as many tracks by him as I did Levi, Marvin and Stevie but Shorty was always the one I was always playing.

I read about his passing in a music paper NME or Record Mirror and it was a very tiny reference. I learnt more when I saw the liner notes on his second album! At least, he left his mark in my life and I am thankful he did.

theboyfromxtown

I always thought Shorty must have been a real character to be around - for example, Sylvia Moy recalling how he'd show up unannounced at her house, and at all times, then stand outside calling "Sylvia! Sylvia!!..."

I suspect you're right and it was somewhat confirmed when I spoke to Joe, Uriel and Eddie of the Funk Brothers when they played New York with Darlene Love as guest vocalist. That night they performed "Here Comes The Judge" [[much to my absolute delight) and I heard Joe Messina play that guitar line featured on the recording. It kinda freaked me out to think he remembered it! The guys confirmed to me that Shorty was more at home jamming with the musicians than he was with being an artist.

Acetates and old tapes left in the old Detroit dumpsters found their way over to the UK [[as did a lot of stuff) and I always remember hearing The Old Miner playing me "Fat Man In The Third Row" [[which ended up as Here Comes Fat Albert) and hearing the playful interaction between Shorty and the band.

...not forgetting that album cover of Shorty dressed as 'The Judge', his countenance resembling a mischievous cherub..

The late lamented Weldon Arthur McDougal III and Shorty were best friends. Weldon told me Shorty could never pass a hotel piano and would always put on a performance for the guests. I believe he also played drums and trumpet. He would turn up with a bottle of something and get the Funks jamming. Both they and the Andantes especially liked working with Shorty and Here Comes The Judge was their favourite album to work on back then.

Here is a review from The Second Disc blog --

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/05/08/...tereo-masters/

shorty's night 'fo last instrumental was on a 16 big hits or motown memories lp[[maybe both!)i couldnt understand what the title meant.it wasnt until about 5 years ago i got "here comes the judge" lp and "found" the vocal.the title made sense at last!