[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shorty Long - Here Comes Shorty Long: The Complete Motown Stereo Masters

I see that Dusty Groove is listing a Shorty Long release for March. Is this an Ace release or Hip-O? No tracking list posted.

Well hellooooo to that piece of wonderful news. Well spotted!

RossHolloway Guest
    This is good news!

Ace of course.

Wonderful.

Thumbs up

Superb news!!!!

Well done Keith and all the ACE team.

I`m fizzing at the bung.

We should all get on our hands and knees and worship the ground that Keith, Mick, and all the other ACE staff walk on. We need to be indebted to them forever. Thank you all.

honest man Guest
    Hello om bunging at the fizz........... Amazing to hear, i have the albums mp3ed with covers but this cd will be ultimate for me ,you lads are pulling out all the stops,thank you zillions,can;t wait cheers.

I see I've been scooped! Mick asked me to announce this yesterday, but things caught up with me.

Yes indeed, Ace are pleased to announce the upcoming release of this CD at the end of March. It will comprise the two Shorty Long LPs, never before released on CD, plus a couple of bonus tracks to complete the description "the Complete Stereo Masters" - stereo versions of "Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch" and "Chantilly Lace". Fans of Shorty who count the latter as their favourite Shorty track [[I'm one of them) will be delighted to discover this is a completely different - and unedited, so much longer - vocal take to the one that was used on the mono single.

Tony Rounce is writing the essay on this one, and I think a Motown celebrity interview will be incorporated. I shall be filling in the track notes and Mick will be co-ordinating our efforts, as usual.

Meantime, I've been struggling to bring together the components of the next Ace/Motown release in order to get it to you in April. There have been a few snags along the way with that one, but I hope we'll make it. Watch this space - and I'll try not to get scooped this time!

Keith

Ivy Jo Hunter?

Great news, Keith, Mick and Ace. another release to look forwward to and treasure.

Fantastic - a full, stereo version of Chantilly Lace. That track is a tour de force for Jamerson as well as Shorty,

RossHolloway Guest
    I can't wait for this release but I was hoping for more unreleased tracks from the vault too...a real proper anthology.

The priority was the two albums. After that there wasn't much space left, and to fill out with the remaining stereo masters was an obvious choice. Personally, I'm not a fan of mixed-mode CDs, though sometimes it's inevitable. Our next release will be all-mono - that might answer MikeW's guess ... {smile!}

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I`m fizzing at the bung.
    Not quite sure what this means but I love it as an expression!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    The priority was the two albums. After that there wasn't much space left, and to fill out with the remaining stereo masters was an obvious choice. Personally, I'm not a fan of mixed-mode CDs, though sometimes it's inevitable. Our next release will be all-mono - that might answer MikeW's guess ... {smile!}
    Is this a single disc set or a double cd?

All Mono could not be Ivy Jo Hunter then. A second Contours set maybe? Or perhaps one of the unsung hero[[ines) such as Carolyn Crawford or Linda Griner? Or a Gospel comp [[doubt it, but would love that)?

"Here Come The Judge"
    "Night Fo' Last"
    "Function At The Junction"
    "Don't Mess With My Weekend"
    "Ain't No Justice"
    "Devil With The Blue Dress"
    "Night Fo Last"
    "Stranded In The Jungle"
    "Here Comes Fat Albert"
    "Sing What You Wanna"
    "Another Hurt Like This"
    "People Sure Act Funny"
    "Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch"
    "Chantilly Lace" [[alternative version)
    "I Had A Dream"
    "A Whiter Shade Of Pale"
    "Memories Are Made Of This"
    "I'm Walkin'"
    "Cross My Heart"
    "Lillie Of The Valley"
    "Blue Monday"
    "Baby Come Home To Me"

http://de.juno.co.uk/products/here-c...ers/447063-01/
    Last edited by Constantin; 02-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    While I appreciate this collection in general, it's unfortunate this isn't going to be more of a comprehensive collection/anthology with unrelased or even live cuts. I mean, what are the chances that we will ever get another Shorty release? Why not just do a proper anthology like what has been done in the past with other artist: Jimmy Ruffin, Velvelettes, Isley Brothers, Chris Clark,....

All mono.. Perhaps it's time to feature again a solo female artist... Hattie Littles, Debbie Dean, Carolyn Crawford, Linda Griner, Liz Lands
    But time will tell..

Shorty Long tracks from the vaults...............in mono?

Would the upcoming release be "Do You Love Me" extended.I don`t think that there are too many more Shorty unreleased tracks.I hope I`m wrong again.On Shorty that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    Fantastic - a full, stereo version of Chantilly Lace. That track is a tour de force for Jamerson as well as Shorty,
    It`s Mr. Jamerson to you, you cheeky young shit.

...It will comprise the two Shorty Long LPs, never before released on CD, plus a couple of bonus tracks...Keith
    ...as long as it contains the sublime ...When You Are Available ...from his Prime of Shorty LP ...I'll be a happy man ...couldn't see this track in Constantin's list...?

[QUOTE=grapevine;92168.When You Are Available ....couldn't see this track in Constantin's list...?

[/QUOTE]

Grape, it's also one of my favorites but looking at the Juno link I'm afraid it's not on the CD : http://de.juno.co.uk/products/here-c...ers/447063-01/

Why this ?

Don't know where that track list came from. Here's the track list as it went down to mastering yesterday:

Here Comes The Judge
    Night Fo' Last
    Function At The Junction
    Don't Mess With My Weekend
    Ain't No Justice
    Devil With The Blue Dress
    Night Fo' Last
    Stranded In The Jungle
    Here Comes Fat Albert
    Sing What You Wanna
    Another Hurt Like This
    People Sure Act Funny
    Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch
    Chantilly Lace
    I Had A Dream
    A Whiter Shade Of Pale
    Memories Are Made Of This
    I'm Walkin'
    Cross My Heart
    Lillie Of The Valley
    Blue Monday
    Baby Come Home To Me
    I Wish You Were Here
    When You Are Available
    Give Me Some Air
    The Deacon Work

RossHolloway Guest
    Did anyone ever have a chance to see SL live in concert back in the '60s?

Don't know where that track list came from.
    Keith,it comes from the Juno link posted above. For any reason [[ lack of space ?) only 22 tracks are listed.

Thanks for the good news !

My LP is scratched. At last I'll be able to listen to the brilliant "Baby Come Home to Me" again.

Here Comes...Complete Motown Stereo Masters Amazon.co.uk pre order . Released March 26 Great bd pres for both me and Diane..........Added to my basket !

11.02 pounds

Search under Shroty Long

Too me ages to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Search under Shroty Long

Took me ages to find it!

That is funny. Both amazon UK & US have it listed under "Shroty" Long.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Comes-C...8976338&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Here-Comes-Com...8977079&sr=1-1

Motown Treasures group on Yahoo! has a cover picture.

John, you are a true collector, in every sense of the word, looking everywhere until you found it. Bravo! For many of us technically challenged "seniors", traveling by car or subway and going store-to-store in our hunt is probably much less stressful.

honest man Guest
    Hello i wonder if the mystery cd forecast for later maybe Shorty's earlier TRI-PHI and Motown singles and unissued mono sides prior to his albums,hopefully,also they include the alt version of I had a Dream on the mystery cd, ha.cheers.

...and Ace have chosen a great cover
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks great, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I gotta admit I'm not a really big Shorty Long fan, but I liked his VIP & Soul singles so I ordered this to support more releases from Ace. I didn't like his second album at all, but did like some of the blues and party records he did.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-23-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I gotta admit I'm not a really big Shorty Long fan, but I liked his VIP & Soul singles so I ordered this to support more releases from Ace. I didn't like his second album at all, but did like some of the blues and party records he did.
    Kamasu - What did Shorty release on VIP? I am only aware of his Soul label releases.

Please advise. Just curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Kamasu - What did Shorty release on VIP? I am only aware of his Soul label releases.

Please advise. Just curious. Thanks!
    I misspoke. I thought Devil with A Blue Dress was on VIP. It was on Soul. I told you I am not a big Shorty Long fan.

HMV haven't received this from their supplier yet, so I won't get my copy by release date.

Got mine this morning. Well, this is an excellent set, isn't it? I love me a bit of Shorty Long, but I'd never heard the second album before, so quite a bit of this CD is a revelation.

Highlights so far:

* "I Had A Dream" is a totally different take to the single version I know from TCMS 9 - this is old news, I know, but exciting to me nonetheless.

* "Chantilly Lace" is also a totally different take, and while I think the original can't possibly be bettered, this is still tremendous fun [[that opening "HEL-lo!" makes me think of Homer Simpson pretending to be Mr Burns, and his end-of-second-verse giggle is just awesome), and the stereo production and MASSIVE bass are remarkable. It's like hearing a live version, or something.

* "Mobile Lil" and its Parliament-style BVs sounds about five times better in stereo than the Cellarful 4 mono version, which was already out of the park.

* "Baby Come Home To Me" I didn't know before, but it's outstanding. Again, old news, but I'm giddy with excitement.

Shorty, Shorty, Shorty. No idea how this stacks up for seasoned fans, but for me it's immediately become indispensable; I'm having more fun with this than any Ace/Kent release since Dance With The Contours. All power to Keith Hughes and Tony Rounce for making this happen.

Good to see "Chantilly Lace" show up on this compilation. I would buy it just for "Call On Me" alone. One song that has only come out on Motown Singles.

Yep - sadly "Call On Me" doesn't feature on this set. The 45 version of "Chantilly Lace" is my favourite of Shorty's Motown cuts, but it doesn't appear here either - the new stereo version of "Chantilly Lace" that's included here is considerably different from the single version. It's a totally different take, it's quite a bit longer, and I'm guessing it was an earlier take [[Shorty incorporates more of the Big Bopper's mannerisms from the original, as well as a bonus extra throaty giggle). Absolutely worth having.

Keith, Tony & Team,
    Once again, congratulations on a fabulous job. It's great to have both albums on cd + the 2 bonus tracks.
    The booklet essay reveals that there are only 3 more [[known) completed Shorty [[mono) vault tracks remaining, but more than a dozen songs Shorty was working on that were never completed due to his unfortunate drowning. I may well be in the minority here, but I think that a Cellarful of Motown devoted to unfinished tracks by various artists [[from 1st tier artists to the 2nd & 3rd stringers) might be an interesting body of work. It would reveal alot about the creative process. It would also allow fans of artists whose completed vault recordings are exhausted to have yet another shot of hearing something new from their favorite artist[[s)- even if it be a few snipets of rumored tracks.

I just noticed that when I put "Here Comes ...Shorty Long" in the computer, track 19 comes up as 'I Cross My Heart' rather than the correct title noted in the liner notes and annotation, 'Cross My Heart'. Hmmh....

Keith,
    Is there a finished master of 'Give Me My Flowers While I'm Living' in the vaults? Or did the song evolve into 'Give Me Some Air'- as only Shorty is listed as composer?
    Last edited by pj1; 03-31-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Loving the CD - thanks a bunch.

"The Prime Of Shorty Long" always felt a little to me like an unfinished work - the too growly bass on "I Cross My Heart" [[I initially thought I had a fault with my speakers when I first played the LP), the trumpet on "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" which probably could have done with another take to perfect [[but I love it anyway). Great to have both albums on CD at last!!!

Shorty had 3 records on the Trip Phi Label #1006, #1015, and #1021 consisting of five different songs. The first two had the same "B" side. Does anyone know if these selections are available anywhere else, i. e. a compact disc. I wish these had been included but there must be a problem with rereleasing Tri Phi songs. Any insight by anyone?

Roger:

I just saw where you called me a cheeky young shit. A cheeky shit I might be, but young?