[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Welcome Patty!

Hola tomatoe

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Sorry for the short version of Gotta Get Away, John. I was trying to be conscious of time constraints.
    No....I appreciate that....i just love that song so much. I got a chance, though, to hear the short version ending...a bit different that the long version.

It is great to hear the Nona track - I still don't know why it wasn't a bigger hit ...

I Love Nona, was that a Jam & Lewis production........?

Didn't Tavares do Shes Gone?

Tavares put out Shes Gone after Hall & Oates flopped on the first try and topped the R&B chart with it in 1974. It peaked around 50 on the Hot 100 if i recall correctly

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Didn't Tavares do Shes Gone?
    Yes, they did.

Yes, Paladin, that was Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. If Nona hadn't written it, they probably would have given it to Janet Jackson.

Thanks Steve. Tavares did get the first hit out of She's Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Tavares put out Shes Gone after Hall & Oates flopped on the first try and topped the R&B chart with it in 1974. It peaked around 50 on the Hot 100 if i recall correctly
    Thanks Glen. Somewhere in there Lou Rawls had a minor R&B hit with it as well.

Love is Alright - I agree with you big time Jim

Yes, The Horse is much better as an instrumental, but it was cool to hear the vocal.

Anyone like the vocal version better?

Yes, Paladin, that was Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. If Nona hadn't written it, they probably would have given it to Janet Jackson.
    Don't know why I remember shhh like that...........but its the first thing that came to mind, and I never associated that record with the Philly...go figure.

It was'nt so bad.......[[ Cliff Nobles) typical vocal for the time period.

Jim if you do another Philly Show, please include a vocal from Harold Melvin. I know that Teddy was the star, but Harold's voice was smooth as honey.......lol...

Jim, your correct about Lou, he hit the R&B chart with Shes Gone 4 weeks after Tavares did and lost the horse race, peaking at #81 in a 7 week run. It was on Bell records and one of the last charted singles before Clive Davis shuttered it to form Arista Records and drop almost the entire roster, including Lou....

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Don't know why I remember shhh like that...........but its the first thing that came to mind, and I never associated that record with the Philly...go figure.

It was'nt so bad.......[[ Cliff Nobles) typical vocal for the time period.

Will do, Pal on the Harold Melvin. Why Should I Cry is included cause Nona was from the Philly area, as opposed to it being a Philly production. I included Lady Marmelade the last time for the same reason.

Jim if you do another Philly Show, please include a vocal from Harold Melvin. I know that Teddy was the star, but Harold's voice was smooth as honey.......lol...
    Will definitely include a Harold lead next time for you, Pal.

Jim, your correct about Lou, he hit the R&B chart with Shes Gone 4 weeks after Tavares did and lost the horse race, peaking at #81 in a 7 week run. It was on Bell records and one of the last charted singles before Clive Davis shuttered it to form Arista Records and drop almost the entire roster, including Lou....
    Glen,
    Much thanks for your Lou "she's gone" info. I think I have Lou's version on The Essential Lou Rawls.

John,
    If we are running behind, cut track 17.

Happiness Is - definitely agree with you Jim that it sounds like a Spinners track .. I really really like it

Anyone else like Happiness Is better than New York City's bigger hit I'm Doin' Fine Now?

Will definitely include a Harold lead next time for you, Pal.

...a truly wonderful show....again...Jim!

Phyllis' voice can still make the hairs on my arm stand up. So much emotion and soul in her voice.....

Phyllis' voice can still make the hairs on my arm stand up. So much emotion and soul in her voice.....
    I think she "lived" a lot of her recordings, this being one of them. I miss Phyllis so much.

I could listen to Phyllis all night long, thanks Jim - remember her Disco hits too? memories on the dance floor..

I could listen to Phyllis all night long, thanks Jim - remember her Disco hits too? memories on the dance floor..
    If I remember correctly, her disco songs were far bigger hits, but I love best of all her ballads.

Change for a quarter???? Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the entire New York City Lp, Thom Bell was really good with those guys [[Happiness) ......."Make Me Twice The Man" was another smooth Philly jam..........

The Pasadena's' cover of I'm Doing Fine now was good too, their enthusiasm was infectious......great show Jim & Johnny......

Welcome Patty!

Patty Tomato......how lovely to see you.....

Change for a quarter???? Hello!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL remember when a phone booth call was a dime and then wow they went all the way up to a quarter! highway robbery! LOL

LOL remember when a phone booth call was a dime and then wow they went all the way up to a quarter! highway robbery! LOL
    Ditto! The song and us are showing our age.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    I love the entire New York City Lp, Thom Bell was really good with those guys [[Happiness) ......."Make Me Twice The Man" was another smooth Philly jam..........

The Pasadena's' cover of I'm Doing Fine now was good too, their enthusiasm was infectious......great show Jim & Johnny......
    paladin....thank you...and welcome!

That was an outrage.

Wow I am really loving this Stylistics song

I am Lost in your show tonight Jim! and we still have a tear it down last 30 minutes to go ... wooohoooo Thank you Thank you! u go sister sledge..

I'm lost in this music too....dam ....ya'll pretty good..............Stylistics, Chubby Checker and ...uh...right now I have visions of those fine young Sister Sledge ladies dancing around in my head...... Norman Whitfield had the Tempts in his head on Masterpiece....Not !

Love this Sister Sledge song, was always a head scratcher that this flopped so hard on Pop and only scraped the lower top 40 R&B after 2 huge million sellers

Love this Sister Sledge song, was always a head scratcher that this flopped so hard on Pop and only scraped the lower top 40 R&B after 2 huge million sellers
    Atlantic Records clearly gave it no push at radio. It's my favorite Sister Sledge recording.
    Last edited by JimBagley; 02-01-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Every time I hear Shame I feel like I am hearing it for the first time and I still get that WOW FEELING..

Every time I hear Shame I feel like I am hearing it for the first time and I still get that WOW FEELING..
    Me too. It's such a fresh and vibrant track.

...ok Jim I am getting my ears ready for Silly hehe

Niecy Niecy Niecy Niecy Niecy ....

Jim...thank you so much for a great show...and FOLKS...thanks for your being here! Have a great week...see you in the next one!

Jim, an exceptional playlist and love the notes you gave us on all the selections! Make this a trilogy of shows soon!

Yes Jim Thank You for another very enjoyable and learning Philly experience tonight! Part 3 in 6 months? hehe Have a great week all!

Hi Jim and John,
    Thanks to both of you for another great show. Until next week, hopefully

You knocked it out of the park, Jim! Great show!! Looking forward to your next one. Thanks John, thanks everybody!

Thanks everyone for making this such a special night for me. I hope you heard a few recordings for the first time tonight that will also become favorites of yours.

Thanks everyone for making this such a special night for me. I hope you heard a few recordings for the first time tonight that will also become favorites of yours.
    Yes I did Jim -
    Happiness Is
    You're as Right as Rain - being such a Stylistics fan I am ashamed I didn't know this one
    Happy Man