[REMOVE ADS]

70s Smokey presents Temptations, Supremes...

This was my most favorite Motown television program!

It`s annoying to have that graphic showing but it seems to be on all dvds along with the timing strip.

Here's another segment from this great show. I seem to remember it aired around Christmas 1970 is that right?

Why was there no soundtrack to this??!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Why was there no soundtrack to this??!!!!
    There definitely should have been as this was the very best of Motown's live music shows in my opinion.

Remember Smokey's short-lived mid-80s variety show? I love this clip:

It seems like he posted everyone on the show except the Supremes! They did a great version of "Up The Ladder To The Roof," and then did a duet with Smokey on "Someday We'll Be Together."

Nice.......

It was a good show, but the orchestration was rather lacking. Somebody went overboard with the tambourine. This was supposed to be Smokey's send-off from the Miracles. But then Tears Of A Clown came out. The ratings were poor which is probably why the soundtrack was pulled. Jean Terrell sounded incredible and steals the closing number Friendship Train from everyone on stage

smokey robinson show

can someone post the segement on the Supremes singing up the ladder to the roof and someday we'll be together. also i noticed jean T and Bobby Rogers [[Miracles) had something going on how cute. I think Wanda and Bobby were on the outs around this time.o

I really love the final segment where they do a medley of Smokey's biggest hits.
    We get to see a real sense of family so often talked about, but rarely seen.

How come I never saw this until today?!!! Can someone tell me exactly when it aired so I can try to remember where
    the heck I was and what the funk I was doing to have missed it?!....Geezzzz......

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    How come I never saw this until today?!!! Can someone tell me exactly when it aired so I can try to remember where
    the heck I was and what the funk I was doing to have missed it?!....Geezzzz......
    Hey Splanky, it aired on ABC in either November or December 1970. I watched it when it originally aired.

Quote Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
    I really love the final segment where they do a medley of Smokey's biggest hits.
    We get to see a real sense of family so often talked about, but rarely seen.
    That was a great segment. I loved how at the end Mary shoves Smokey's head like a sister would her brother. LOL
    !

I remember watching it as a small child, and feeling sorry for Pete Moore because he couldn't take part.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    can someone post the segement on the Supremes singing up the ladder to the roof and someday we'll be together. also i noticed jean T and Bobby Rogers [[Miracles) had something going on how cute. I think Wanda and Bobby were on the outs around this time.o
    It was posted for a long time under the title "Diana Who?". I can't seem to find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was a great segment. I loved how at the end Mary shoves Smokey's head like a sister would her brother. LOL
    !
    I second that! The finale when they all did Friendship Train was my favorite! Hopefully Harry, Keith and nem can get the soundtrack released someday! The Temps, Supremes, Stevie, Smokey and that other lady together on one track, you got a buy from me.

By the way who is that other lady and what hits did she have?

Quote Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
    By the way who is that other lady and what hits did she have?
    Fran Jeffries. I don't think she had any hit records, but I remember seeing her on tv frequently.

Was she on Motown? What was she doing there?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Was she on Motown? What was she doing there?
    She was a singer/variety performer is what I remember.

Check out these two atricles:

"Tonight on TV": http://archives.newspaperarchive.com...urrentResult=3

and

"Specials Give Barnett $": http://books.google.com/books?id=oCk...ies%20&f=false

The second article is most interesting; I think above someone asked why there was no soundtrack to this special.....? Looks like there WAS a soundtrack. Wonder what happened to it?
    Last edited by marybrewster; 01-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Here is a short bio on her:

Fran Jeffries [[born May 18, 1937) is an American singer, actress, and model.

She had a cameo in the 1963 film The Pink Panther, in which she sang a song called "Meglio Stasera [[It Had Better Be Tonight)" while she danced provocatively around a fireplace.[1] She also sang a number in the first sequel, A Shot in the Dark. Her figure was highlighted, albeit briefly, in a minor role in Sex and the Single Girl. She sang on The Tom Jones Show in 1969 with the host, doing a duet of "You've Got What it Takes". She was featured in Playboy Magazine a couple years later, in 1971 at the age of 33, in a pictorial entitled "Frantastic!". In 1982 she posed a second time for Playboy at the age of 45. This second pictorial was titled "Still Frantastic!".[2] Photos reveal that, at some point in her career, she appeared onstage with Bob Hope.