[REMOVE ADS]

dianesfan_1965 Guest

Mary Wilson singing "Nathan Jones"

What a great clip. Who is this wonderful man singing with her? I hope he still performs with her. He's charming.

Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post

What a great clip. Who is this wonderful man singing with her? I hope he still performs with her. He's charming.
    He's real hot. I met him at one of Mary's LA shows and he is lovely. Real, real sweet. I think his name is Pernel and he is also on Mary's "Live at the Sands DVD" with another really hot guy. Alas [[for me LOL) I think Pernel and the other guy are both gay. Sigh!!! Aren't all the cute ones.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    He's real hot. I met him at one of Mary's LA shows and he is lovely. Real, real sweet. I think his name is Pernel and he is also on Mary's "Live at the Sands DVD" with another really hot guy. Alas [[for me LOL) I think Pernel and the other guy are both gay. Sigh!!! Aren't all the cute ones.
    I've never heard of this DVD. I'll have to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post
    I've never heard of this DVD. I'll have to look for it.
    It's a great DVD and Mary looks and sounds wonderful. The three back up singers are also real great and very hot. Especially Pernel and the other muscular guy. The DVD is very professionally filmed with a bonus/extras thing of a very lovely message from Mary.

I highly recommend this DVD.

Roberta

It's a great DVD and Mary looks and sounds wonderful. The three back up singers are also real great and very hot. Especially Pernel and the other muscular guy. The DVD is very professionally filmed with a bonus/extras thing of a very lovely message from Mary.

I highly recommend this DVD.

Roberta
    http://shop.marywilson.com/product.s...6&categoryId=4

The sound on this is good; I was surprised when I heard it on here; however, there is a LOT of backing behind Mary and I'm not sure how much of Mary we are really hearing. Perhaps this Pernell guy can sing and also the lady off to the left. Mary never learned to shut down those background microphones! But maybe at 67, they all need as much backing as they can get.

There is no doubt we are hearing a lot of Mary on this song and she sounds so good! The background vocals blend with her, but you can hear Mary clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    There is no doubt we are hearing a lot of Mary on this song and she sounds so good! The background vocals blend with her, but you can hear Mary clearly.
    Brad you are right on the money. Mary's vocals are clearly up front juast as Jean was on the original. One thing about Mary, her backing vocalist are never in front of her in the mix. In fact I've heard her tell the sound person to bring the backing vocalist down so that they are not over powering her.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    however, there is a LOT of backing behind Mary and I'm not sure how much of Mary we are really hearing.
    Have you ever heard the original recording of Nathan Jones? If so, you would know that it is supposed to sound that way, with the background pumped up. On the original, Jean, Mary and Cindy almost sing in unison.

The sound on this is good; I was surprised when I heard it on here; however, there is a LOT of backing behind Mary and I'm not sure how much of Mary we are really hearing. Perhaps this Pernell guy can sing and also the lady off to the left. Mary never learned to shut down those background microphones! But maybe at 67, they all need as much backing as they can get.
    Not Mary Wilson. You should get her "Up Close" DVD where she sings ALL the songs without any backing vocals. She is a powerhouse vocalist these days!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-04-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    Have you ever heard the original recording of Nathan Jones? If so, you would know that it is supposed to sound that way, with the background pumped up. On the original, Jean, Mary and Cindy almost sing in unison.
    You are exactly correct Helga! For that record they sang/chanted in unison somewhat similar to how the Jaynetts sang "Sally Go Round the Roses" back in the sixties.

Ah..........true Helga; it was a song sung in unison, tis true.

My comment about the background mics was just a jibe at Mary's fan, not Mary. Her voice is very much stronger now that it ever was when the Supremes were having hits. Berry knew to keep those mics turned down and let the hit machine grind out the hits when the time was hot for it!

My comment about the background mics was just a jibe at Mary's fan, not Mary. Her voice is very much stronger now that it ever was when the Supremes were having hits. Berry knew to keep those mics turned down and let the hit machine grind out the hits when the time was hot for it!
    Rob, are you back sliding? You've been a very good boy for awhile now LOL

Thanks Rod; I'll do my best; I always try and remember I like Mary and she was my favorite Supreme and I should not respond to negativisms about other Supremes by being smart assed about Mary; so your comment warrants my attention and I did laugh.

But truthfully, many forum members, current and former, have privately talked to me about the negativism on this forum; and while I love the forum, I also try and keep the negativism of others in check. The trick is not to let is spill over into negativism of my own.

That's fair, isn't it?

Mary Wilson is a first class vocalist and can still hit the high notes at will. She even still dances on stage!

You should also get her CD version of her "Up Close" concert. It will blow you away.......

Marv

Mary could do the whole Supremes show today being that she is the only one that knows all of the leads and all of the background parts! LOL

Mary's voice has always been strong in live performances. I just don't think it was captured at its best in the recording studio. Attempts to make her voice sound sexy just made it seem that she was struggling with her breath control.

Breathing control will be an issue at 67; the lung capacity of a 55 year old is about half of what it was at 25.

It shows for all these people; but they can dress themselves up and present a show from the good old days and the people love the dresses and the matching cheeks and the big hair and pumped up boobs.

The sound on this was good I thought.

Breathing control will be an issue at 67; the lung capacity of a 55 year old is about half of what it was at 25.

It shows for all these people; but they can dress themselves up and present a show from the good old days and the people love the dresses and the matching cheeks and the big hair and pumped up boobs.

The sound on this was good I thought.
    especially the boobs..........hehehehehehehe!!!!!! Go Tigers! LOL!!!

Thanks Rod; I'll do my best; I always try and remember I like Mary and she was my favorite Supreme and I should not respond to negativisms about other Supremes by being smart assed about Mary; so your comment warrants my attention and I did laugh.

But truthfully, many forum members, current and former, have privately talked to me about the negativism on this forum; and while I love the forum, I also try and keep the negativism of others in check. The trick is not to let is spill over into negativism of my own.

That's fair, isn't it?
    Very fair Rob. I know what exactly what you are talking about. It's so hard to resist the dig at some though, and I can't blame you, because some of these post are so extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Attempts to make her voice sound sexy just made it seem that she was struggling with her breath control.
    True, especially on the solo version of "Can't take my eyes off you" [[but it can also be said for "Red hot").

The young man you see singing with Mary is Parnell Marcano. Her other "supreme" background vocalist is Lucy Shropshire. Outside of working with Mary, both Parnell and Lucy are active in the arts community.
    I believe the other vocalist from Mary's "Up Close" DVD [[mentioned above) is C.J. Jenkins. I don't know what sexuality any of them are, other than they are all sexy.

There is another clip of Mary from the same show; I think she is performing "Bad Weather" and/or "Automatically Sunshine".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The young man you see singing with Mary is Parnell Marcano. Her other "supreme" background vocalist is Lucy Shropshire. Outside of working with Mary, both Parnell and Lucy are active in the arts community.
    I believe the other vocalist from Mary's "Up Close" DVD [[mentioned above) is C.J. Jenkins. I don't know what sexuality any of them are, other than they are all sexy.

There is another clip of Mary from the same show; I think she is performing "Bad Weather" and/or "Automatically Sunshine".
    Parnell has been with Mary for years. i've met him a few times and he's a doll and very handsome. I believe Parnell is gay, at least that is the vibe I got from him. I've seen Mr. Jenkins on Mary's Sands Hotel DVD and he is also real hot. Not sure if he is gay or straight but it doesn't really matter anyway.

I'm not familiar with Lucy Shopshire at all.

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 01-27-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Was Lucy Shopshire in a girl group at one time....if this was the female back up singer in the Sands DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    True, especially on the solo version of "Can't take my eyes off you" [[but it can also be said for "Red hot").
    Well not quite. While recording "Red Hot" and the rest of that album, she was 8 months pregnant and had to sit down in the studio to record. This made it difficult to breathe properly. If you listen closely to some of the cuts from the album "Mary Wilson" you'll hear Mary taking deep breathes as if she were gasping for air......

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Was Lucy Shopshire in a girl group at one time....if this was the female back up singer in the Sands DVD?
    I don't know if Lucy were ever in a girls group. The female singer that appears in Mary Wilson Live at the Sands, is Iris Parker who was once a member of the 80's girl group, "Madame X".

Parnell has been with Mary for years. i've met him a few times and he's a doll and very handsome. I believe Parnell is gay, at least that is the vibe I got from him. I've seen Mr. Jenkins on Mary's Sands Hotel DVD and he is also real hot. Not sure if he is gay or straight but it doesn't really matter anyway.

I'm not familiar with Lucy Shopshire at all.

Roberta
    Carl or CJ Jenkins is living in Ohio and has a Facebook page. He says he still sings backup for Mary WILSON, BUT I CAN'T RECALL THE LAST TIME HE WORKED with her outside of some appearances in Ohio. Carl used to be friends with my father, but they have not talked in years. My dad got a big chuckle out of hearing that someone thinks Carl is sexy or "hot." I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-28-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't know if Lucy were ever in a girls group. The female singer that appears in Mary Wilson Live at the Sands, is Iris Parker who was once a member of the 80's girl group, "Madame X".
    Thanks Marv....Iris is the one I meant, not Lucy. Do you know what Iris is up to these days? Does she ever sing with Mary anymore? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thanks Marv....Iris is the one I meant, not Lucy. Do you know what Iris is up to these days? Does she ever sing with Mary anymore? Thanks.Here's Iris in Madame X
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlx2...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thanks Marv....Iris is the one I meant, not Lucy. Do you know what Iris is up to these days? Does she ever sing with Mary anymore? Thanks.Here's Iris in Madame X
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlx2...eature=related
    Iris Parker is also a trained belly dancer [[ I am not making this up , hehehehehe). She did appear in a independent film that had something to do with belly dancing. There was a clip on Youtube as I recall. To my knowledge she does not sing in Mary's show anymore. She may return, who knows? Others have after many years such as Hollis Paysuer when she joined Mary for that big Motown tour of Austraila in early 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Carl or CJ Jenkins is living in Ohio and has a Facebook page. He says he still sings backup for Mary WILSON, BUT I CAN'T RECALL THE LAST TIME HE WORKED with her outside of some appearances in Ohio. Carl used to be friends with my father, but they have not talked in years. My dad got a big chuckle out of hearing that someone thinks Carl is sexy or "hot." I'll leave it at that.
    Thanks kamasu. I'll check out Carl Jenkins facebook page. I watched a good part of Mary Wilson live at the Sands DVD last night and it's a wonderful show. Very tight, well staged and fantastic singing from both Ms. Wilson and her back up hunks and Lucy. I do think both of the guys are real sexy with great worked out bodies and after watching again I think both may be gay [[story of my life LOL). The girl singer was great as well although she doesn't turn me on. LOL

My mind is spinning as to what your dad meant. LOL

Best to you and nice to see you back here.

Fondly,

Roberta

Roberta's on the prowl!

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Roberta's on the prowl!
    LOL BobC.

Roberta