[REMOVE ADS]

The Five Heartbeats

Am curious to know, for those of you that have seen it, do you think "The Five Heartbeats" was to The Temptations was "Dreamgirls" was to The Supremes?

While "Dreamgirls" has been hashed and rehashed, "Heartbeats" is one movie I rarely see discussed on this forum. While I don't claim to know as much about the Temptations as The Supremes, it seems there might be some similarities between fact and fiction.....

The Five Heartbeats stated out as a tribute to the Temptations, but it ended up being about several male pop groups. The film is actually dedicated to the Dells.

I enjoyed the movie & thought it was a story that could apply to alot of the groups of the 60's.Is this the one where Big Red is a record company executive?Don't ask Big Red about your royalties, LOL!

This movie has a killer Soundtrack even if the overall film itself is a bit paint by numbers.

I think it was a combo of male groups. I do think the tempts were one of the insperations for the group in the movie and the dells are another.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    The part that really made me sit up and take notice was the scene showing the cover of one of their albums- looked suspiciously like the Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart Of Mine" album cover lol!

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    The part that really made me sit up and take notice was the scene showing the cover of one of their albums- looked suspiciously like the Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart Of Mine" album cover lol!

This is THE killer track from that movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJnqVUI-z4

The thing I liked about the movie was, save for the beginning where there was the sex scene, my then, very young, musically inclined daughter could watch it, we just had her turn away. So I felt it was a movie the whole family could watch. On the other hand, Mr. Gerald Early who wrote, One Nation Under A Groove had a huge problem with it. I agreed with his points, I just did not feel as strongly as he did about them. Such as the fathers who were portrayed in the movie, Eddie Canes Dad, predicting Eddies future, and Choirboys dad, basically allowing his wife to be the one who was making the decision allowing Choirboy to follow his heart. I remember it coming out in the early 90's however, I wonder how much box office it did, pitted against the gang related product that was in vogue then.