[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    What's this about a Supremes exhibit in DC? Are Mary's Supremes gowns show going to be on display at the Smithsonian?
    It may be the "Mary Wilson Supremes Gown Collection" which has been touring the UK and US. You should go to DC and catch this exhibition. It's fantastic seeing all those gowns we saw on TV years ago.

Best to you,

Roberta

Roberta, so sad I live in Europe. I missed the exhibition when it was in the UK, just across the North Sea... on the other hand don't stand a chance in Holland to run into weirdos like T.T. or M.

Franjoy wasn't referring to Mary's Gown exhibit. There will be a Supremes fan convention in DC this summer. Norwin Simmons is arranging it. He hosted all of the previous conventions. Anyone from SDF planning to go? I'm gonna have to think it oh-oh-ver!

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Roberta, so sad I live in Europe. I missed the exhibition when it was in the UK, just across the North Sea... on the other hand don't stand a chance in Holland to run into weirdos like T.T. or M.
    Well if the "Mary Wilson Supremes Gown Collection" ever comes to Holland robbert you must rush to see it. It's beyond wonderful.

Thankfully Ralph gave TT his walking papers last year. As for the other one, do yourself a favor and stick it on ignore.

Best to you,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Franjoy wasn't referring to Mary's Gown exhibit. There will be a Supremes fan convention in DC this summer. Norwin Simmons is arranging it. He hosted all of the previous conventions. Anyone from SDF planning to go? I'm gonna have to think it oh-oh-ver!
    Thanks for the clarification Carlo. Summer in DC could be fun if a tad hot and sweaty. LOL.

Any idea the date and name of this convention and how long the convention runs for? If this is at the DC Convention Center I don't see it listed yet. http://www.dcconvention.com/

Fondly,

Roberta

According to the information I have, the Supremes Convention will be held on August 3rd, 4th and 5th. It will be at the Harriet Family Restaurant from 11 AM to 4 PM, next to the Harrington Hotel [[I think this is going to be the place where most will stay). The cost is $125, which includes a buffet lunch, program and program booklet.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-31-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Who is M? .............

According to the information I have, the Supremes Convention will be held on August 3rd, 4th and 5th. It will be at the Harriet Family Restaurant from 11 AM to 4 PM, next to the Harrington Hotel [[I think this is going to be the place where most will stay). The cost is $125, which includes a buffet lunch, program and program booklet.
    Thank you for the information Carlo.

Is this $125 per day or $125 for all 3 days and is a buffet luncheon provided on all 3 days or only on the first day?

Thank you.

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Oh, The Supremes Convention. I've heard about it. Will the event be held in conjunction with a concert by either Diana or Mary [[or even The Flos)? Fan conventions made sense in the pre internet era, but now that you can log on and talk about the Supremes 24/7, see pictures and hear all the old songs and watch the videos on the internet, it doesn't make much sense to have a "convention" unless it's connected to an event where the fans can see a Supreme perform a show. I know Diana Ross fans get together in an organized event from time to time before and/or after a Ross show. And a few years ago, me and some of the people in my Yahoo group got together in San Francisco while Mary Wilson was performing her Up Close show at the Plush Room. Even got a chance to have dinner with her and while we had to pay our expenses to get to and stay in SF, we weren't charging $125 a day for what was an informal and friendly event. I've seen a few of Norwin's posts on Facebook and whenever someone asks him a question he seems to get very prickly and defensive and high handed. Between that and the very unfavorable hot and humid weather in DC in August, not an event I would want to attend. But I hope those who go have a good time and get their money's worth.

DC sounds like fun I could stay with family and then pop over to the convention. Is there anymore information that you can provide or where do I go to register ?

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Fran, as a fellow New Yorker, some people come on this board just to keep shit going, trust me!
    What does this mean 'keep stuff going'? And why are you always being mean to women, cursing and stuff, that's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Is this $125 per day or $125 for all 3 days and is a buffet luncheon provided on all 3 days or only on the first day?
    I'm a little confused myself. I will ask a friend of mine who is planning to attend. He might know more.

You have to send the $125 ahead of time to Norwin. The deadline is June 15th.

I attended one of the pre-show events that was held in conjunction with one of Diana's shows and I got to meet a lot of great people. I'm planning to see Mary this March. A group of us fans will probably hang out before and after the shows. As already mentioned, with the way the internet is now...it's so easy for fans to arrange their own meetings and events around different concerts. But who knows, maybe I'll still go to DC. I'm thinking about it. I need to be able to justify the $125...

I'm interested in the DC details, too, if more are forthcoming...

I'm a little confused myself. I will ask a friend of mine who is planning to attend. He might know more.

You have to send the $125 ahead of time to Norwin. The deadline is June 15th.
    Who is this Norwin? I may go if the $125 is for 3 days and includes a buffet luncheon for each day but $125 for one day is beyond my budget unles the $125 includes hotel. Does it?

Best to you Carlo.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Who is this Norwin? I may go if the $125 is for 3 days and includes a buffet luncheon for each day but $125 for one day is beyond my budget unles the $125 includes hotel. Does it?

Best to you Carlo.

Roberta
    With this just being right around the corner, you'd think you'd hear more about it? From what I remember, the $125.00 is just entry into the convention; it does not include hotel, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me. Seems pretty steep. Has there been any mention of any "Supreme" making an appearance? Please don't say Shantel will be there, although she did replace Freda Payne in the group.

lol. I would love it if Shantel made an appearance! That would be worth the $125 IMO!

The $125 does not include the hotel accommodations. I have read that fans are responsible for their own hotel booking. Norwin Simmons is the fan who is arranging the Supremes Convention. He's planned/hosted all of the past conventions as well.

lol. I would love it if Shantel made an appearance! That would be worth the $125 IMO!

The $125 does not include the hotel accommodations. I have read that fans are responsible for their own hotel booking. Norwin Simmons is the fan who is arranging the Supremes Convention. He's planned/hosted all of the past conventions as well.
    Do you know if the $125 includes a buffet luncheon for all 3 days Carlo?

Thanks!

Roberta

The Supremes Convention is August 3rd, 4th and 5th, 2012.

Convention is at Harriet's Family Restaurant in Washington, D.C., next to the Harriet Hotel.

$125.00 [[non-refundable) money order includes: buffet lunch, program and program booklet.

The convention is from 11am - 4pm on Saturday. Fans may buy/trade items on Friday night, and the day of the convention.

Fans are responsible for their own hotel reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    With this just being right around the corner, you'd think you'd hear more about it? From what I remember, the $125.00 is just entry into the convention; it does not include hotel, but I could be wrong, so don't quote me. Seems pretty steep. Has there been any mention of any "Supreme" making an appearance? Please don't say Shantel will be there, although she did replace Freda Payne in the group.
    $125 isn't bad if it includes luncheon for all 3 days marybrewster but if it's just for one day, then you are right, $125 is pretty steep even if Shantel is thrown in with the price. LOL

http://www.yelp.com/biz/harriets-fam...ant-washington

*It's a little sleazy - Not in a bad way though.
    *The spread isn't amazing but they make up for it with delicious fare and it's affordable [[$10 for the B-fast buffet).
    *The service couldn't be any slower.
    *greasy tables, utensils looked unclean. You may want to wipe everything you touch with napkin.
    *Expect "bad" deli foods, e.g. surgery pastries, biscuit, ...etc, anything you could get cheaper from gas station or 7-11. Coffee was bad. At least, they're consistent in bad quality.
    *Think dingy old 1980's family style restaurant, indifferent service, poor quality food, slightly cleaner than your basement but dirtier than your house and you have Harriet's.
    *When Harriet's say its a family restaurant, they are not kidding. I felt like I wandered into an IHOP.
    *Terrible. Dirty restaurant and we waited [[though I'm not sure why) for 15 minutes after being seated and never saw a waiter/waitress, so we left.
    *Oh-my-goshhhh ... this place was horrible!!!
    *The worst restaurant ever!! Unfriendly stafff and horrible food.
    *Woah this place was a mistake
    *I am not a happy camper with Harriet's

Should I continue?

I'm waiting on the "New Supremes" convention......does anyone know which parking lot it's being held at?

LOL!!

Hmmmmmm....

Thanks MaryBrewster for the link. I found this photo posted by someone who went to Harriet's Restaurant...dried ketchup stuck to a cup...yuck!

Carlo, please save your $$$.

Thanks MaryBrewster.

For $125, I am not going to drink from a blue sippy cup with dried up ketchup on it. PASS!

Hotel Harrington doesn't look all that attractive either. Why didn't they simply host this year's convention at the Mamushka?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/harriets-fam...ant-washington

*The spread isn't amazing but they make up for it with delicious fare and it's affordable [[$10 for the B-fast buffet).
    *The service couldn't be any slower.
    *greasy tables, utensils looked unclean. You may want to wipe everything you touch with napkin.
    *Expect "bad" deli foods, e.g. surgery pastries, biscuit, ...etc, anything you could get cheaper from gas station or 7-11. Coffee was bad. At least, they're consistent in bad quality.
    *Think dingy old 1980's family style restaurant, indifferent service, poor quality food, slightly cleaner than your basement but dirtier than your house and you have Harriet's.
    *When Harriet's say its a family restaurant, they are not kidding. I felt like I wandered into an IHOP.
    *Terrible. Dirty restaurant and we waited [[though I'm not sure why) for 15 minutes after being seated and never saw a waiter/waitress, so we left.
    *Oh-my-goshhhh ... this place was horrible!!!
    *The worst restaurant ever!! Unfriendly stafff and horrible food.
    *Woah this place was a mistake
    *I am not a happy camper with Harriet's

Should I continue?
    Thanks marybrewster. You just saved me $125 plus hotel.

Best to you.

Roberta

Blueskies.........is that Shantel picture for real?

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I'm interested in the DC details, too, if more are forthcoming...
    EJLuther, here is more information:

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Blueskies.........is that Shantel picture for real?
    Too real!

http://www.lmhmag.com/Shatel%20Baker...Lmh%20Mag.html

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post

I'm waiting on the "New Supremes" convention......does anyone know which parking lot it's being held at?
    I don't know, but the one on the end don't look too bad. Anyone know what her name is?

smark21 Guest
    The Supremes Convention is August 3rd, 4th and 5th, 2012.

Convention is at Harriet's Family Restaurant in Washington, D.C., next to the Harriet Hotel.

$125.00 [[non-refundable) money order includes: buffet lunch, program and program booklet.

The convention is from 11am - 4pm on Saturday. Fans may buy/trade items on Friday night, and the day of the convention.

Fans are responsible for their own hotel reservations.
    Non-refundable? So if not enough people reserve a space and the event is cancelled, then they're out $125? While it's decent to be upfront about it being non refundable, I'm not sure it serves as an inducement to send a payment without some sort of assurance that the convention will take place.

smark21 Guest
    EJLuther, here is more information:
    Up the Ladder Through the Roof? That must hurt.

atcsm Guest
    Wow - if that is the official invite to the "event" anyone who sends money deserves to lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Up the Ladder Through the Roof? That must hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    Wow - if that is the official invite to the "event" anyone who sends money deserves to lose it.
    Look, they been having these conventions with great turn outs since 1976! I have never heard any complaints. There are clips from one of the conventions he held in NYC on Youtube for your viewing pleasure, hehehehehehe! It always turns out to be a lot fun from all reports. I know f or a fact because I was at the one they held here in New York. Have you ever attended?

atcsm Guest
    Proof reading is a lost art.
    Look, they been having these conventions with great turn outs since 1976! I have never heard any complaints. There are clips from one of the conventions he held in NYC on Youtube for your viewing pleasure, hehehehehehe! It always turns out to be a lot fun from all reports. I know f or a fact because I was at the one they held here in New York. Have you ever attended?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thank you Blueskies. Yeah I was there. I had a great time hanging out with Scherrie Payne, meeting Francis Nero and letting Betty gossip to me LOL! It was also a great opportunity to buy hard to find CD's and rare video, pictures etc.

atcsm Guest
    Since you are so interested in "dates" this was 14 years ago. Bless your heart.
    Thank you Blueskies. Yeah I was there. I had a great time hanging out with Scherrie Payne, meeting Francis Nero and letting Betty gossip to me LOL! It was also a great opportunity to buy hard to find CD's and rare video, pictures etc.

Proof reading is a lost art.
    But being bitchy and a smart ass is priceless..........

Since you are so interested in "dates" this was 14 years ago. Bless your heart.
    Well actually it was more like 13 and a half since it was the summer of 1998.

atcsm Guest
    Are you Mary Cindy or Jean when you sing Up the Ladder THROUGH the Roof with your hair brush in front of the mirror?
    But being bitchy and a smart ass is priceless..........

atcsm Guest
    Are you Mary Cindy or Jean when you sing Up the Ladder THROUGH the Roof with your hair brush in front of the mirror?
    crickets -love it

From You Can't Hurry Love to the Supremes convention

Its amazing how a conversation on a discussion of the vocals of Flo not being on You Can't hurry love [[though the performance on the Ed Sullivan with her was priceless expanded to the Supremes convention. I have attended at least three or four of them
    three in Washington Dc, and the 98 one in New York with Scherrie and Lynda.

There was one in 1995 that Mary was the guest.
    another in 96 or 97 that was centered around Flo
    another in 2001 in DC all hosted by Norwin, he puts a lot of work
    in these exhibits, he has to pay for the venue, as well as setting up
    memorabilia, and purchasing the food, those exhibits i mentioned were in the MLKing Library, and he also gave out awards to fans who answered questions about the group.

The exhibits are for bringing back memories of the supremes and recalling
    happy times the fans shared when they were collecting and seeing the group and buying the records.

I probably will pass this one up, but the ones i attended were well worth it.

Frances.

dzMusica Guest
    Anyone who still goes to Supremes concerts worship them.