[REMOVE ADS]

The Apollas CD is now available

I bought the CD this week and thoroughly recommend it.

I went to order mine today and it was already sold out at Dusty Groove and importcd's. Importcd's appears to have the best price, so far. Shoulda been quicker on the draw. Looks like they'll restock....hope so.

I have mine!! I've only listened to the first few tracks so far! Loving it!

Ok... I just got mine from ImportCD's.... and WOW is it great! the photos, liner notes, that pciture of Streisand with the Chitlins! And I was totally shocked to find that Leola was pretty much a shoe in as Jean's replacement, but her manager screwed it up. DAMN! After listening to an entrie album of her voice, this woman could sing Scherrie Payne under the table. I suppose what I REALLY would have wanted was the Apollas to have the success they deserved, and let Leola be a star in her own group. That vocal on "All Sold Out" is one of the most masterful vocals i've ever heard.

Fantastic CD!!

There's some serious "sanging" going on "Wait 'Round the Corner"! Mannn!!! It's cool how they re-made "Wade In the Water"!

I just received this CD last week and have enjoyed it tremendously. I was a teen back in the day and didn't know about them but not too long ago saw a clip on YouTube from Shindig where they performed "Swing Down, Sweet Chariot" and it blew me away so when I read about this CD asked for it for my birthday.

Here's the link from the Shindig performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFYkCVbYktc

Love the CD. I was surprized to hear, "I'm Under the Influence of Love", as I only associated this with Love Unlimited. They do a nice job. I always wanted to hear The Marvelettes sing this with Wanda on lead.

I'm reluctant to spend money for this CD because of the hype it's gotten on the forum particularly from a few members whose judgment I don't trust. Last time that happened, I wasted money on a Clydie King disc that was terrible. I've already got a few tracks by the Apollas and they aren't that great in my opinion. They are being raved about as if they were the Marvelettes.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-28-2012 at 09:20 AM.

I feel they are much better than the Marvelettes, and better than the original Supremes as well. Clydie King's one minor hit was really good... but I agree, the rest of her recorded output does not have the consistent quality that the Apollas catalog does. The Apollas records are all well produced, a good 80 percent are good quality songs to start with. Leola is just an awesome singer, and has an incredible amount of versatility. The mastering is wonderful, and the booklet has great and interesting pictures.

The liner notes and pics are awesome. I can relate to what Kamasu said in a way. I bought "GiGi and the Charmaines" on some outstanding recommendations, thinking this one was going to roll my socks up and down. Well, my socks went neither north nor south and I played it once and could barely get through the whole thing. I guess it boils down to personal 'taste'? I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that love the Charmaines CD....just not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I'm reluctant to spend money for this CD because of the hype it's gotten on the forum particularly from a few members whose judgment I don't trust. Last time that happened, I wasted money on a Clydie King disc that was terrible. I've already got a few tracks by the Apollas and they aren't that great in my opinion. They are being raved about as if they were the Marvelettes.
    At the end of the day, it's your decision whether you make the purchase or not. lol. I am a big fan of The Supremes, The Marvelettes, etc. This CD is right up there with the rest of them in my opinion. There are plenty of audio clips on Youtube. I listened to some of their songs first before I made the purchase. I loved what I heard and the CD has not disappointed me.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    The liner notes and pics are awesome. I can relate to what Kamasu said in a way. I bought "GiGi and the Charmaines" on some outstanding recommendations, thinking this one was going to roll my socks up and down. Well, my socks went neither north nor south and I played it once and could barely get through the whole thing. I guess it boils down to personal 'taste'? I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that love the Charmaines CD....just not me.
    I agree it does come down to personal choice. I also bought the GiGi and the Charmaines CD and have played it only a few times too. Right now, the price is still a bit high for me to purchase the Apollas disc. Unlike some, I'm not one to buy a CD just because it features girl singers.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.

I agree it does come down to personal choice. I also bought the GiGi and the Charmaines CD and have played it only a few times too. Right now, the price is still a bit high for me to purchase the Apollas disc. Unlike some, I'm not one to buy a CD just because it features girl singers.
    http://www.importcds.com/Music/23572...-Warner-Bro-CD

This is where I eventually purchased mine. Dusty Groove kept selling out. I see it's on back order here, too, now. Anyway, it's a pretty good price.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I feel they are much better than the Marvelettes, and better than the original Supremes as well. Clydie King's one minor hit was really good... but I agree, the rest of her recorded output does not have the consistent quality that the Apollas catalog does.
    As a side matter I personally think Clydie's 6 Imperial sides are as good a run of brilliant soul as any artist ever came up with. Not keen on the Minit sides though.

The Apollas is worth it for the read and photos to a lot of people, the music including great previously unissued tracks is quite a bonus!

I'm reluctant to spend money for this CD because of the hype it's gotten on the forum particularly from a few members whose judgment I don't trust.
    The CD has been reviewed in Record Collector magazine and awarded a 4/5 rating. It also receives a good review on the In the Basement website.