[REMOVE ADS]

SAM DEES -The Show Must Go On [[Re-Issue) LP!

I'm thrilled to see this outstanding 1975 Atlantic album from the underrated, prolific singer songwriter, SAM DEES, has just been re-issued to VINYL! Grab it while you can. This overlooked gem won't last long.

I don't think it was re-issued, just a unopened copy never used and that quickly sold. It would be out on CD if EVER it is worked out between the parties who has the rights!

http://www.dustygroove.com/featured.php?cat=11

Evidently someone obtained the rights to reissue the Dees LP on vinyl only. This link indicates the LP is a reissue [[which was listed for $9.99 yesterday, quickly sold out), in addition to other artist's OOP LPs now available, including Bobby Womack, Gil Scott-Heron, The Impressions, others.
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 01-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.

The album is available at Amazon for $16, still a deal considering how much the rare original has gone for...

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Must-Go-S...6999074&sr=1-4

Be interesting the sound quality if anyone here has purchased one? why will they not allow this superb album get its first CD release! Please!

Sam Dees - The Show Must Go On - Now released on a CD

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Be interesting the sound quality if anyone here has purchased one? why will they not allow this superb album get its first CD release! Please!
    WEA France have released the outstanding, wonderful, marvelous , exceptional 'The Show Must Go On' by Sam Dees as part of a twenty album box set called Atlantic Soul sessions.

The album's ownership was disputed for years so I'm wondering how the clever French have managed to resolve the matter. Glad they did though.

http://www.amazon.fr/Atlantic-Soul-C...9445152&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by MarieRoseSauce View Post
    WEA France have released the outstanding, wonderful, marvelous , exceptional 'The Show Must Go On' by Sam Dees as part of a twenty album box set called Atlantic Soul sessions.

The album's ownership was disputed for years so I'm wondering how the clever French have managed to resolve the matter. Glad they did though.

http://www.amazon.fr/Atlantic-Soul-C...9445152&sr=1-1
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention this LP being part of a boxed set.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention this LP being part of a boxed set.
    I mentioned it on the Atlantic Box Set thread and it amazed me not one comment about the release of Sam's superb album on CD, all the years we have waited for this CD release and they issue it in a box set, one with not always the best CD release from that artist.

Why were we told for so many years that the only reason for non release of "The Show Must Go On" was due to problems with recording tapes and legal reasons then they release in a silent way like this? a release in Japan in its own right would have been a big seller!

I think the lack of comments is because besides the soulies on here who also frequent SS, most members are here to discuss Detroit artists and happenings. I would bet that the majority of the members here have no idea who Sam Dees is. And I do not say that in a disparaging way.

I know who Sam Dees is. He's mentioned in your wife's book. I read the whole book in one evening. Man, what a story. My dad is reading it now.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    I think the lack of comments is because besides the soulies on here who also frequent SS, most members are here to discuss Detroit artists and happenings. I would bet that the majority of the members here have no idea who Sam Dees is. And I do not say that in a disparaging way.
    Yes that may be the case but some of the longest threads out of the Motown section are for non Detroit artists, but some I think are self promotion!

Lots of people do not appreciate as well as being an artist that Sam was also a talented song writer and wrote several top numbers for other top artists.

A sad reflection is a lot of us are getting older and many fans perhaps do not follow sites this any longer, I know many USA friends who I met through Motown and Soul sites who bother no longer.

I thought The Show Must Go On was exceptional. I only found one track that I didn't care for. Turns out, I like a lot of songs Dees wrote for other artists like Save the Overtime by Gladys Knight; Lover for Life by Whitney Houston and Love All The Hurt Away by Aretha & George Benson.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-11-2012 at 06:10 PM.

The legal issues over Sam Dee's LP still haven't been resolved but WEA France went ahead and included it in the Atlantic box CD package anyway whereas WEA in any other country would not have done.
    So if you want it, buy it quick before the French copies are all sold.

The quality of the CD was good, did not know or noticed it was put out by WEA France. The CD's are good with the exact LP sleeve reproduced, as I said on another thread the Sam Dees CD released in Japan like this would have been a big seller, I wonder how many real Sam fans know still about this release?

Real Gone Music is reissuing The Show Must Go On as a stand alone CD with five bonus Atlantic single sides in addition to the original LP. The release date according to amazon.com is January 29, 2013.
    http://www.amazon.com/Show-Must-Go-S...578005&sr=1-23

The complete Atlantic box set is now available for download on all the major sites. So the Sam Dees album, or individual tracks, can now be downloaded. iTunes for example, has the album for £6.99 in the UK.