[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Record Corporation EPs [[7" extended play) releases

According to David Bianco's HEAT WAVE book, Motown during the period 1965 through 1967 released a number of EPs [[extended play records). Chisa label 2; Gordy label 6; Motown label 19; Soul label 4; and Tamla label 7. A total of 38 are reported to be have been issued.

What is the story on these releases? In all my 50 years of collecting Motown records both during that period and after that period, I have NEVER seen a single EP. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? Was there something "unique" about how they were sold, distributed? Were they in limited quantities? Are the pictures identical to LPs, or what? I assume they were released in picture sleeves. Even the excellent web site www.seabear.se which has a ton of pictures on their web site does not include any of the EPs. Any information you can provide on this item would be greatly appreciated. Do they really exist? Thank you.

Yes Woodward they do exist, they are 7" releases in the same artwork as per the Temptations "Greatest Hits" in the Seabear site.If the tracks were listed on the LP cover then they are condensed to the six on the EP.I have tried to get the images myself and they are really hard to find.Sorry I`m not clever enough to paste those images that I have.I`ve not had my hands on any copy yet.

We just had a thread on this topic, though it expanded into non-US T/M EP's as well.
    Scans of some of the EP's [[they were really condensed LP's put out on 7" EP's to go on juke boxes) were put up on that recent thread.

The title of the thread was 'Motown Jukebox EP's' and it was started on Boxing Day.
    Attachment 4165

This is the only one I ever purchased. It was acquired in a second-hand shop.
    Name:  Campbell, Choker - Copy.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  21.1 KB
    They were"condensed albums" of 6 cuts for play in juke boxes.

uptight Guest
    I have a couple of US ones and a UK one. They weren't any special mixes or edits that I remember. And because there were three songs each side at 33 1/3 rpm, the sound was a wee bit low-fi. Th sound quality was "just okay."

I have 3 EPs. The Choker Campbell [[Motown 620; Seeburg No. 919) shown above and More Hits [[Motown 60627; Seeburg Pt. No. 1077) and A' Go-Go [[Motown 60649; Seeburg No. ?).

More Hits has Stop!, Back and Ask Any Girl on Side 1; Heartaches, Mother Dear and Whisper on Side 2.
    A' Go-Go has Hurry Love, Itchin' and This Old Heart on Side 1; Can't Help Myself, Come and Get These Memories and Money on Side 2.

All have the Motown map label. Choker Campbell and More Hits have the jukebox title strips and small album pics included [[the size shown on album inner sleeves or the back of LP covers) that would be displayed in the jukebox. The 7-inch sleeves are cardboard, like a 12-inch LP, and have the same cover/picture except only the 6 songs included are printed on the cover of the EP.