[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    One last thing about this stupid and INACCURATE article, Motown- MGM/Universal released "Motown 25" commercially in the Fallof 1985 and not in 1991 as the author states. I bought it when it was released with the 25 additional minutes and the original audio that was somewhat different from what I taped from the televised version in 1983!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Roberta, I couldn't agree more. Thank you thaperson for telling it like it was and it is very ancient history now. Time to move on for us. Goodness knows Diana, Mary and Cindy have.

Happy New Year to everyone here.

Roberta, I hope you enjoyed you shipment of AVON products that you ordered during the Holidays.

Penny
    Singing the praises of AVON in a very MOTOWN way

The mint foot cream was divine Penny. Can you send me a private link to the rest of your foot products?

Best to you Penny.

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    If it makes you all happy, yes, I posted the thread to stir up shit, HAPPY NOW???????????

By the way no one forces anyone to read or click on threads or links, it's your choice whether you want to post or respond to a thread or not, when I posted the thread, the TITLE was very clear, then whether you respond or not is your choice.

Anyway think what you want, whatever!!!!!!!!!
    I'm now as happy as Penny after she makes a big Avon sale.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I'm now as happy as Penny after she makes a big Avon sale.
    I think if Penny could have sent some Avon to the set of M-town 25 this whole mess could have been avoided.

Guys. Calm down. It's just an internet forum.

I for one am happy the altercation happened because it was great drama. But then again, I like bad girls. If DR wasn't a drama queen and of "artistic temperament" [[hee hee) she wouldn't be half as interesting! I've read some very white-washed memoirs by goody two-shoes stars and they always suck.

You guys need to learn to appreciate trashy incidents like this one.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...thi s supremes stuff makes the[hatfields and the mccoys]look like a church social...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...thi s supremes stuff makes the[hatfields and the mccoys]look like a church social...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa!!!
    JAI !!! hehehehehehehehehe.......!!!

This is one of my favourite shows and I must have watched it some 20 times by now [[laserdisc copy).
    Parts of it disappoint terribly but other parts are pure magic.

Lowlights and disappointments
    - Adam Ant [[murders Where did our love go).
    - insultingly short appearances by Martha Reeves and Mary Wells [[perhaps 20 seconds) especially when Smokey got to do 3-4 complete songs and Adam Ant got a full song
    - no Funk brothers mention,
    - Supremes appearance too short

Highlights
    - Marvin Gaye,
    - Four Tops vs Temptations,
    - the writers segment [[Holland-Dozier-Holland, Ron Miller, Mickey Stevenson, Norman Whitfield, Harvey Fuqua),
    - Stevie Wonder
    - The Jackson 5 and Michael [[though he mimed Billie Jean).
    - Finale [[Someday we'll be together).

"Motown Live At the Apollo" is certainly a better production.

^^ I am trying to figure out who's idea was it to invite Adam Ant, he has no connection to motown what-so-ever. And I kinda dislike the fact martha and mary segments were so short.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 01-21-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Adam Ant I always figured was a ploy to get the youth market to tune in. Remember, at the time of the taping of the special, "Goody Two Shoes" had just peaked at #12 and was dropping down the Hot 100. He was also a much bigger star internationally than here so Suzanne and Berry probably thought he'd be a selling part to get the show picked up overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Adam Ant I always figured was a ploy to get the youth market to tune in. Remember, at the time of the taping of the special, "Goody Two Shoes" had just peaked at #12 and was dropping down the Hot 100. He was also a much bigger star internationally than here so Suzanne and Berry probably thought he'd be a selling part to get the show picked up overseas.
    They should have gotten Hall and Oates then because they were infinitely hotter than Adam Ant and they were authentically into the Motown Sound! Suzanne made a lot of really dumb, stupid, ignorant decisions in my opinion. In my opinion, she hurt the company.

My friend Andy was there that night in Pasedena. He confirmed everything to me that happened that night. Out ladies each had character problems that night and very deep resentments for the past. They surfaced. It is all over now. They have lit it go as should we.

I want to give Diana Ross a foot massage with our new foot product. Anyone have her number? I got Mary's done a few weeks ago in Henderson and she loved it.

Penny

People question Adam Ant's connection with Motown but it was the same as Linda Ronstadt's really. He was popular at the time and they had to have an eye on ratings. I didn't like him being there either but I understand it. And I wonder where Adam Ant is now? And while I, as a fan, would have preferred Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, and the Marvelettes, I understand what they did. They did a much bigger and huge version of "substituting" in the later Motown specials.

It's an irony that they stuck Kelly Rowland in for Diana Ross in that later special. She looks like Mary Wilson. And they still wouldn't stick Scherrie or Lynda or Susaye or Mary in that lead singer role and make it more legitimate. It's always about ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    People question Adam Ant's connection with Motown but it was the same as Linda Ronstadt's really. He was popular at the time and they had to have an eye on ratings. I didn't like him being there either but I understand it. And I wonder where Adam Ant is now? And while I, as a fan, would have preferred Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, and the Marvelettes, I understand what they did. They did a much bigger and huge version of "substituting" in the later Motown specials.

It's an irony that they stuck Kelly Rowland in for Diana Ross in that later special. She looks like Mary Wilson. And they still wouldn't stick Scherrie or Lynda or Susaye or Mary in that lead singer role and make it more legitimate. It's always about ratings.
    Adam Ant's connection to Motown WAS NOT the same as Linda Ronstadt's! Linda did a couple of successful cover versions of Smokey Robinson's songs, you know Jobete Publishing? Of course you know that right?

They also had T.G. Sheppard and Jose Feliciano perform [[it's on the commercial release), but yet Suzanne could not invite the Marvelettes, Velvelettes, James Jamerson, the Contours and whole host of others that really help build that company so that she could later on have a job there? Why no mention of Jean Terrell?

Linda gave Motown its first Country hit [[sort of) when her version of TRACKS OF MY TEARS hit the top twenty on the C&W charts.

She was also good friends with Smokey at the time [[he personally invited her to do the show) and they had planned on doing an album together. Nothing came of it, but at least one of the songs she wanted to do with him wound up being done with Aaron Neville [[I NEED YOU).

I have to agree with Marv. Adam Ant had nothing to do with Motown and I really don't think he had the appeal to bring in an audience like Linda Ronstadt or Hall & Oates. It was yet another poor decision on Suzanne's part. It's not like Motown needed all of these young artists to bring in an audience. Motown was still very popular during this time. "The Big Chill" was released the same year and its soundtrack was mostly Motown so the appeal was there. Plus, a lot of the baby boomers were still in the target audience range so it's not like the Motown crowd was too old. Let's not forget that Michael Jackson was the hottest star at the time. Why bring in someone like Adam Ant when you already had the biggest star there? They could have easily done without Adam Ant and used the spot to highlight the Marvelettes, Gladys Knight & the Pips and/or the Funk Brothers.

A good friend once told me that the firing of Florence Ballard is the reason why the company had its downfall. Had Florence Ballard not been fired, Berry Gordy would have never hired Cindy Birdsong and Cindy would have never introduced Berry to Suzanne dePasse, who would later be the one responsible for screwing up the company. Talk about karma!

There really were no Funk Brothers at the time of this special. They had gone their seperate ways or retired. After Motown left Detroit the rhythm section had disbanded. Slutsky hadn't even started working on his Jamerson book and outside of those of us who knew the history, for all practical purposes...there were no Funk Brothers [[as a viable ensemble) then.

I agree, Stu. At that time is what all but over for the Funks. But Motown 25 could have included some sort of salute to them through pictures and information. It was, I always thought, a major flaw in the production.
    Oh yeah...ADAM ANT??? Another huge flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I have to agree with Marv. Adam Ant had nothing to do with Motown and I really don't think he had the appeal to bring in an audience like Linda Ronstadt or Hall & Oates. It was yet another poor decision on Suzanne's part. It's not like Motown needed all of these young artists to bring in an audience. Motown was still very popular during this time. "The Big Chill" was released the same year and its soundtrack was mostly Motown so the appeal was there. Plus, a lot of the baby boomers were still in the target audience range so it's not like the Motown crowd was too old. Let's not forget that Michael Jackson was the hottest star at the time. Why bring in someone like Adam Ant when you already had the biggest star there? They could have easily done without Adam Ant and used the spot to highlight the Marvelettes, Gladys Knight & the Pips and/or the Funk Brothers.

A good friend once told me that the firing of Florence Ballard is the reason why the company had its downfall. Had Florence Ballard not been fired, Berry Gordy would have never hired Cindy Birdsong and Cindy would have never introduced Berry to Suzanne dePasse, who would later be the one responsible for screwing up the company. Talk about karma!
    Brad you nailed it and pretty much ended any arguments about this mess with these two points

"The Big Chill" phenomenon
    "Firing of Florence indirectly led to the hiring of Suzanne DePasse"!

She really didn't care about the company or it's roots!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-21-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    There really were no Funk Brothers at the time of this special. They had gone their seperate ways or retired. After Motown left Detroit the rhythm section had disbanded. Slutsky hadn't even started working on his Jamerson book and outside of those of us who knew the history, for all practical purposes...there were no Funk Brothers [[as a viable ensemble) then.
    Well that could be said about most of the songwriters that were on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I agree, Stu. At that time is what all but over for the Funks. But Motown 25 could have included some sort of salute to them through pictures and information. It was, I always thought, a major flaw in the production.
    Ralph, they could have even done a 5 minute montage of all of you that helped to build Motown but because of time constraints were not going to be a part of the live taping of the show.

Sadly as you know Ralph, Jamerson had to scalp a ticket and sat in the balcony to see the show...although at that time he was in no condition to play. He died very shortly thereafter. The musicians were scattered around and Motown had changed it's sound by then. Plus...I'm sure that Berry looked at the musicians as contract guys and employees until the SITSOM project started.

Suzanne brought the Jackson Five to Motown. She also helped develop the Motown motion picture department, which brought us LADY, BINGO LONG and later on, television movies and miniseries like LONESOME DOVE.

Berry had final say in every person and decision about Motown 25. Don't kid yourselves otherwise. He demanded there be no mention of THE WIZ and he had to personally appeal to get Michael and Diana to appear.

I think Suzanne did the best job she could given the circumstances. The inclusion of Ant is odd looking back on it now, but he was a huge new wave star at the time in Europe, and he was a staple of MTV.

I wish a book would be written about the making of the two Motown specials. I believe Suzanne fully when she said she had to do a lot of begging to get what she even had for Motown 25. There must be a few stories behind those productions that haven't been told.

Just to keep the facts straight: DePasse had no hand in bringing the J5 to Motown. Bobby Taylor did just that and for promo purposes, they credited Diana Ross with the find.

Just to keep the facts straight: DePasse had no hand in bringing the J5 to Motown. Bobby Taylor did just that and for promo purposes, they credited Diana Ross with the find.

Great point. To hear her tell it, she gave birth to the Jackson 5 via immaculate conception!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    There really were no Funk Brothers at the time of this special.
    In the movie SITSOM we can see that James Jamerson had to pay his ticket to attend the show. Is it the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    Suzanne brought the Jackson Five to Motown. She also helped develop the Motown motion picture department, which brought us LADY, BINGO LONG and later on, television movies and miniseries like LONESOME DOVE.

Berry had final say in every person and decision about Motown 25. Don't kid yourselves otherwise. He demanded there be no mention of THE WIZ and he had to personally appeal to get Michael and Diana to appear.

I think Suzanne did the best job she could given the circumstances. The inclusion of Ant is odd looking back on it now, but he was a huge new wave star at the time in Europe, and he was a staple of MTV.

I wish a book would be written about the making of the two Motown specials. I believe Suzanne fully when she said she had to do a lot of begging to get what she even had for Motown 25. There must be a few stories behind those productions that haven't been told.
    Suzanne did not bring the Jackson Five to Motown. Gladys Knight saw them and told Bobby of the Vancouvers. Bobby saw them, was impressed and took them to Motown. In fact he drove them there. They broke down on the way and Bobby Smith from the Spinners had to go out on the road and get them ! There was no Suzanne dePasse in the picture.......ANYWHERE! No Diana Ross either!

Berry may or may not have had final say about the participants in Motown 25, but I know for a fact that it was Suzanne's job to procure the the guest performers and she said that she did not want to be bothered with David Ruffin or Eddie Kendricks and would not invite them. Kat of the Marvelettes told me that when Marvin Gaye called her and asked her where were they, she told him that no one had invited her or the Marvelettes. I can imagine Edwin Starr, Jimmy Ruffin, Carolyn Crawford, Jean Terrell, Contours,Willie Hutch,Scherrie Payne, Susaye Greene, the Vandellas, Spinners ,etc all have a similar story to tell. Gladys Knight & the Pips refused their invitation because it was felt that the artist should have been the ones being honored!

I diagree. I think Suzanne did a sloppy half-assed job when it came to Motown 25. It only won an Emmy because of performances by Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Tempts N' Tops etc.

Adam Ant was not even close to being that popular in the U.S. at that time what with just one appearance on American Bandstand? They could have gotten Hall & Oates, Sheena Easton, Culture Club or Kim Wilde or any number of much more popular young artists at the time to participate.

I just cannot appreciate Suzanne DePasse and her involvement at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    In the movie SITSOM we can see that James Jamerson had to pay his ticket to attend the show. Is it the truth?
    Yes! That is the truth and the he passed away a few months later.

Martha told me Smokey was the one that called her about it & she told him she had nothing to wear & he said it would be taken care of.Im pretty sure it was Smokey that got Mary Wells to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Martha told me Smokey was the one that called her about it & she told him she had nothing to wear & he said it would be taken care of.Im pretty sure it was Smokey that got Mary Wells to do it.
    I can believe it because Cindy Birdsong was in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Suzanne did not bring the Jackson Five to Motown. Gladys Knight saw them and told Bobby of the Vancouvers. Bobby saw them, was impressed and took them to Motown. In fact he drove them there. They broke down on the way and Bobby Smith from the Spinners had to go out on the road and get them ! There was no Suzanne dePasse in the picture.......ANYWHERE! No Diana Ross either!

Berry may or may not have had final say about the participants in Motown 25, but I know for a fact that it was Suzanne's job to procure the the guest performers and she said that she did not want to be bothered with David Ruffin or Eddie Kendricks and would not invite them. Kat of the Marvelettes told me that when Marvin Gaye called her and asked her where were they, she told him that no one had invited her or the Marvelettes. I can imagine Edwin Starr, Jimmy Ruffin, Carolyn Crawford, Jean Terrell, Contours,Willie Hutch,Scherrie Payne, Susaye Greene, the Vandellas, Spinners ,etc all have a similar story to tell. Gladys Knight & the Pips refused their invitation because it was felt that the artist should have been the ones being honored!

I diagree. I think Suzanne did a sloppy half-assed job when it came to Motown 25. It only won an Emmy because of performances by Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Tempts N' Tops etc.

Adam Ant was not even close to being that popular in the U.S. at that time what with just one appearance on American Bandstand? They could have gotten Hall & Oates, Sheena Easton, Culture Club or Kim Wilde or any number of much more popular young artists at the time to participate.

I just cannot appreciate Suzanne DePasse and her involvement at Motown.
    Well said, Marv. And right on the money.

I've always assumed that Adam Ant was included in Motown 25 because of the popularity of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go". The song was huge around the globe the year prior. Based on name recognition alone, it probably was a bigger draw to the younger set to have Adam Ant versus Soft Cell. Adam was riding high with "Goody Two Shoes" in 1983. And quite honestly, if you listen to Soft Cell's record and Adam's performance, they are quite similar.

Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever is a 1983 television special produced by Suzanne de Passe for Motown Records, to commemorate Motown's twenty-fifth year of existence. [[Motown was founded in January 1959, meaning that a twenty-fifth anniversary special should have aired in 1984, not 1983. One could argue that Gordy's vision of what would become "Hitsville U.S.A." was conceived in 1958, considering the month of Motown's founding.) The show was also co-written by de Passe along with Ruth Adkins Robinson who would go on to write shows with de Passe for the next 25 years, including the follow-up label tributes—through "Motown 40," Buz Kohan was the head writer of the threesome.

Who is Ruth Adkins Robinson and Buz Kohan?

Did Berry have anything to do with M25 other than making a couple of calls to his big names asking them to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever is a 1983 television special produced by Suzanne de Passe for Motown Records, to commemorate Motown's twenty-fifth year of existence. [[Motown was founded in January 1959, meaning that a twenty-fifth anniversary special should have aired in 1984, not 1983. One could argue that Gordy's vision of what would become "Hitsville U.S.A." was conceived in 1958, considering the month of Motown's founding.) The show was also co-written by de Passe along with Ruth Adkins Robinson who would go on to write shows with de Passe for the next 25 years, including the follow-up label tributes—through "Motown 40," Buz Kohan was the head writer of the threesome.

Who is Ruth Adkins Robinson and Buz Kohan?

Did Berry have anything to do with M25 other than making a couple of calls to his big names asking them to come back?
    Since the program was in essence a tribute to Berry Gordy Jr as much as it was Motown's anniversary, I would doubt that Berry himself made many of the calls to request participation. His big names at that time, 1983 were Rick James, Teena Marie, Lionel Ritchie, none of whom participated at least not in person.

I am not at all familiar with Ms. Robinson or Mr Kohan, but I image they had something to do with Howard Hessman and Motor Mouth John Youshida [[sp?) pretending to be 60's DJs YUK! LOL!

Well said, Marv. And right on the money.
    Thank you Ralph. I was pretty sure my memory was still working.

Here is more information on Ruth:

http://ruthsbeenwriting.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I've always assumed that Adam Ant was included in Motown 25 because of the popularity of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go". The song was huge around the globe the year prior. Based on name recognition alone, it probably was a bigger draw to the younger set to have Adam Ant versus Soft Cell. Adam was riding high with "Goody Two Shoes" in 1983. And quite honestly, if you listen to Soft Cell's record and Adam's performance, they are quite similar.
    MaryBrewster, I am not exactly sure of your age, but I was in that demographic group [[18-24 yr olds) and finishing up my Undergraduate work in Marketing at the time this program aired, so I really feel that I know what I am talking about. Adam Ant was not that popular in the U.S. with the college aged crowd. True, Soft Cell had a hit in '82 with the "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go?" medley, but I believe Kim Wilde had an even bigger hit the same year with a remake of the Supremes "You Keep Me Hanging On". Those points are interesting to note, but not too important as to why Adam Ant and not David Ruffin & Eddie Kendricks! Suzanne was trying to go "New Wave" and it failed. She did not have a strong grasp on what the public would have wanted to see. By eliminating Ruffin & Kendricks for example, she missed out on something really special as the two had just completed a reunion tour with the Temptations the year before to great success. It hurt both of them and their fans which included Hall & Oates to the point that they arranged for David and Eddie to tour with them in 1985 to great success. It proved to everyone that Suzanne was wrong in their case.

Not to continue to pick on Ms. DePasse and her inabilities, I take issue with her over all attempt to pander to what she thought "crossover" audiences wanted to see [[Read: White Americans,etc) which in my opinion was an insult to white viewers. Her mind could not let her give people credit for wanting to see the real deal, the authentic music performed by the original artists and that is just plain wrong! We all grew up in this country loving many of the same things [[including Motown music and it's artists) and to assume that you have to put on anyone just to draw more of a demographic segment is flawed reasoning. Motown's music and artists are a real part of "Americana" that you don't need to water it down or play with it or make excuses for it when we all grew up loving it. She more than likely thought some were more acceptable than others which is why you didn't see Rick James there. He went on record to say he refused to go out there and honor Berry Gordy & Motown with so many of the artists that had abandoned ship and at that time the lastest to had done so was Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    guys. Calm down. It's just an internet forum.

I for one am happy the altercation happened because it was great drama. But then again, i like bad girls. If dr wasn't a drama queen and of "artistic temperament" [[hee hee) she wouldn't be half as interesting! I've read some very white-washed memoirs by goody two-shoes stars and they always suck.

You guys need to learn to appreciate trashy incidents like this one.
    hello!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    MaryBrewster, I am not exactly sure of your age, but I was in that demographic group [[18-24 yr olds) and finishing up my Undergraduate work in Marketing at the time this program aired, so I really feel that I know what I am talking about. Adam Ant was not that popular in the U.S. with the college aged crowd. True, Soft Cell had a hit in '82 with the "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go?" medley, but I believe Kim Wilde had an even bigger hit the same year with a remake of the Supremes "You Keep Me Hanging On". Those points are interesting to note, but not too important as to why Adam Ant and not David Ruffin & Eddie Kendricks! Suzanne was trying to go "New Wave" and it failed. She did not have a strong grasp on what the public would have wanted to see. By eliminating Ruffin & Kendricks for example, she missed out on something really special as the two had just completed a reunion tour with the Temptations the year before to great success. It hurt both of them and their fans which included Hall & Oates to the point that they arranged for David and Eddie to tour with them in 1985 to great success. It proved to everyone that Suzanne was wrong in their case.

Not to continue to pick on Ms. DePasse and her inabilities, I take issue with her over all attempt to pander to what she thought "crossover" audiences wanted to see [[Read: White Americans,etc) which in my opinion was an insult to white viewers. Her mind could not let her give people credit for wanting to see the real deal, the authentic music performed by the original artists and that is just plain wrong! We all grew up in this country loving many of the same things [[including Motown music and it's artists) and to assume that you have to put on anyone just to draw more of a demographic segment is flawed reasoning. Motown's music and artists are a real part of "Americana" that you don't need to water it down or play with it or make excuses for it when we all grew up loving it. She more than likely thought some were more acceptable than others which is why you didn't see Rick James there. He went on record to say he refused to go out there and honor Berry Gordy & Motown with so many of the artists that had abandoned ship and at that time the lastest to had done so was Diana Ross.
    LOL, honey please. No offense, but why so critical of Suzanne De Passe's work from nearly 29 years ago? Obviously, some beloved performers [[like The Marvelettes) were left out, but let's send you back in a time capsule so you can plan it, okay?

And really, how many white folks were really on that special? Technically, Linda Ronstadt and Jose Feliciano are Hispanic, though definitely crossover in their own regard.

Kim Wylde recorded YKMHO and took it to #1 in 1987. I believe the then-recent Sups remake you are thinking of was Phil Collins' cover of Can't Hurry Love.

One thing I do agree with you though is why was Rick James not present? He was the biggest non-crossover [[strictly hood) artist Motown had at that time, and he and Teena Marie did give the label some much-needed street cred. But as far as Teena Marie, remember she had already left Motown and was with Epic by then after a bitter lawsuit with Berry Gordy, which of course brought the industry The Brockert Initiative. It's a shame that Rick helped pushed Tee away from Motown by his squabbles.

It is sad though that so many had abandoned ship, ESPECIALLY Diana and Teena. If BG had only paid his stars just a little more, he could have kept them! And as the Four Tops and Gladys Knight and The Pips proved, they did have a long shelf life. Both groups hit the Pop Top 40 through 1988!
    Last edited by Sugarchilehoneybaby; 01-23-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post
    Linda gave Motown its first Country hit [[sort of) when her version of TRACKS OF MY TEARS hit the top twenty on the C&W charts.

She was also good friends with Smokey at the time [[he personally invited her to do the show) and they had planned on doing an album together. Nothing came of it, but at least one of the songs she wanted to do with him wound up being done with Aaron Neville [[I NEED YOU).
    Actually, I think Bill Anderson and Jan Howard had the first hit C&W Motown cover with "Someday We'll Be Together" [[#4 Country). Can anyone think of an earlier C&W Motown cover?

For what it's worth, I was in high school when the special aired and really into Adam Ant and Soft Cell's "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go" was a very popular song, too. At the time, I thought it was great that Adam Ant was on the show singing that song [[I even liked Diana's cameo) but, looking back now as an adult, there's a lot to criticize about it. I think it was an attempt to show that Motown was even influencing "new wave" music...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I think it was an attempt to show that Motown was even influencing "new wave" music...
    It may have even been an attempt to draw an audience from the UK. For as popular as Adam was here in the States, I assume [[and hear) he was 10 times popular across the pond.

as a side note: I have recently seen that Adam Ant is going to be at Universal Studios Hard Rock LIVE in the near future.Besides Mary & Martha being rushed on & off, Jr. Walker was treated the same. I don't think Suzanne DePasse wanted anything to do with any of the Detroit people , including writers, producers, artists ect.

OMG!...first off, Kim Wilde had a hit with "You Keep Me Hanging On" years after Motown 25;
    second of all, there's no way they'd have included Soft Cell to do "Where Did Our Love Go',lead singer Marc Almond made Boy George look like Clint Eastwood in comparison;
    Adam was hot at the time[[in more ways than one), MJ was calling the shots on his appearance[[the non Motown inclusion of "Billie Jean") and MJ and Adam Ant were friends/labelmates at Epic; I'm quite sure that MJ dragged him along as part of the deal..

Ralph, I hope you're watching this with your eagle eyes. I also hope you will not allow the conversation between SupremeLady en Marv to get nastier than it is at this point. I'm getting tired and bored of that handful of non-adults on this forum. This kind of situation have cost us too many a dignified posters over the years- like John Lester.

This was a TV show, entertainment. Why do some people think that this should have been some type of historically accurate piece on Motown Records? It was like a variety show. It was not deep.

Get the two biggest names in entertainment:

Diana Ross
    Michael Jackson

.....check

Get the Legendary and still successful:

Marvin Gaye
    Smokey Robinson

....check

Get one of the hotttest new MOTOWN acts:

Debarge

.....check

Throw in some white people for the "viewing audience"

.....check

This was not to be about technicians, band players etc. Expecting it to be so, and being dissappointed in what it wasn't doesn't make sense to me. This TV special is one of the highest rated TV specials in history. Suzanne did a great job. It's not she who has shortcommings, it's fans who somehow think a TV special was suppose to right all the wrongs in Motown's history.

First, let me apologize for saying that Suzanne brought the Jackson five to Motown. But she did have a hand in grooming them for stardom. That's been well documented.

Mary Wells and Martha Reeves were featured, albeit a little too short. But at least they were featured. And let's keep it real, Mary sang her big hit, there was no need for more time. Martha, perhaps. But it was a special, not a miniseries. Ashford and Simpson were there and did not perform at all. Next to Smokey and H-D-H, they helped define Motown.

One can always look back and nitpick but as Skooldem said it was one of the highest rated specials of all time. And Michael's performance was a defining moment in pop culture. EVERYONE was talking about that clip the day after it aired. The special achieved its purpose, which was to revive interest in the Motown sound. So you can't say Suzanne completely failed.

For me, one of the highlights of the show was "High Inergy". They're cool!

in further Adam Ant news, Adam was nursing an injured damaged knee that week, but 'the show must go on"...and it did..

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    LOL, honey please. No offense, but why so critical of Suzanne De Passe's work from nearly 29 years ago? Obviously, some beloved performers [[like The Marvelettes) were left out, but let's send you back in a time capsule so you can plan it, okay?

And really, how many white folks were really on that special? Technically, Linda Ronstadt and Jose Feliciano are Hispanic, though definitely crossover in their own regard.

Kim Wylde recorded YKMHO and took it to #1 in 1987. I believe the then-recent Sups remake you are thinking of was Phil Collins' cover of Can't Hurry Love.

One thing I do agree with you though is why was Rick James not present? He was the biggest non-crossover [[strictly hood) artist Motown had at that time, and he and Teena Marie did give the label some much-needed street cred. But as far as Teena Marie, remember she had already left Motown and was with Epic by then after a bitter lawsuit with Berry Gordy, which of course brought the industry The Brockert Initiative. It's a shame that Rick helped pushed Tee away from Motown by his squabbles.

It is sad though that so many had abandoned ship, ESPECIALLY Diana and Teena. If BG had only paid his stars just a little more, he could have kept them! And as the Four Tops and Gladys Knight and The Pips proved, they did have a long shelf life. Both groups hit the Pop Top 40 through 1988!

I don't see where it's funny. Why am I critical of DePasse's work from 29 years ago? Why are you even here? Why are any of us even here? To discuss music and artist and industry from anywhere from 50 years ago to today! You don't have to send me anywhere because I was alive when this went on the first time., You take a journey back in time......and stay there, please? LOL! Just kidding, I am sure someone, somewhere loves you, hehehehehehehe.......

It ain't about how many "white folk" were on that TV program. You missed the point entirely if that is how you are viewing anything that I have said. My point was, if you are going to do something like this....then god*$mit! Do it right! The stuff about Kim Wylde/Wilde, etc as I SAID was just interesting to note, but not that important in the discussion of why Adam
    Ant and not David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks? I could really care less about when Kim Wilde made that remake of the Supremes [[she was only used for illustration purposes....)

The bottom line [[for me) is that Suzanne DePasse messed up big time and showed great disrespect to many of the performers and to the fans of Motown. It could have been more inclusive. They did a much better job with "Motown 40" from 1998.