[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I always thought Adam had a hit with his version of Where Did Our Love Go. And of course, he didnt; the hit was Goody Two Shoes and he was nominated for New Artist of the Year. I assume he didn't win.

So that makes his Motown connection more tenuous and not as strong as Linda Ronstadt. He was there because he was new and "new wave" and would attract the kid audience.

Wikipedia says Adam was in several movies and in the last couple of years, has been under pyschiatric care.

But you can certainly see why the hardcore fans and Motown insiders were hurt by the exclusion of several significant acts and the reduced tv time of several others. And it's just something that has never really changed; it's more of "them that's got shall get, them thats not shall lose". And of course, that provokes anger and jealousy which I suppose the fans start to reflect.

I suppose for Suzanne dePasse it was the beginning of the TV career that she managed to build on M25. And it was hard to be any more successful than M25 was.

I know posters have mentioned the disappointment of The Marvelettes not being included, but isn't it true that Kat Anderson retired shortly after the group disbanded? You certainly can't have the Marvelettes without Kat [[hasn't she also said that even if asked, she would not have performed?). And since neither leads, Gladys or Wanda alone made up the Marvelettes, could they have gone on as a duo? Or snub Wanda for Gladys? Was Wanda even able to perform in 1983?

As far as Mary Wells is concerned, by 1983, hadn't she already been gone for the label for almost 2 decades? I mean, it's not like Motown was her only label. I know that truly doesn't matter, but maybe Mary's actions in 1964 carried over 20 years later?

I think the bottom line is: the show was geared for "young America". MJ was hot. Diana was hot. DeBarge was hot. Unfortunately, by 1983, Reeves and Wells were not.

Jobete--you are thinking of the early new wave group Soft Cell. They did a dance version medley of WDOLG and Tainted Love.

With regards to Suzanne De Passe, don't forget that she was involved with Motown from about 1968 and helped knock the script to Lady Sings The Blues into shape, for which she received an Academy nomination. Suzanne was moved to head up MPI in 1978 and, as mentioned elsewhere on this thread, received an Emmy for Motown 25. She also won another for Motown Returns To The Apollo.

With regards to who appeared and who didn't, I'm not even going to start going there - we all have our own favourites and would them them to have appeared in preference to others. I just recall watching the show on tape a couple of days after it aired in the US and being knocked out by pretty much everything; Michael Jackson's dance, of course, but Marvin Gaye and the Four Tops/Temptations slots were dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I know posters have mentioned the disappointment of The Marvelettes not being included, but isn't it true that Kat Anderson retired shortly after the group disbanded? You certainly can't have the Marvelettes without Kat [[hasn't she also said that even if asked, she would not have performed?). And since neither leads, Gladys or Wanda alone made up the Marvelettes, could they have gone on as a duo? Or snub Wanda for Gladys? Was Wanda even able to perform in 1983?
    Kat has said that the entire Motown 25 situation was like a slap in the face because none of them were even invited to sit in the audience. They were not recognized during the show in any way, shape or form. I don't even think they mentioned "The Marvelettes". I don't think being able or not being able to perform was the issue.

I don't think Wanda would have been able to perform in 1983. By that time, she wasn't in good shape. Gladys could have.

I honestly don't know much about The Marvelettes but keep hearing stories of them being treated badly by Motown - what's the deal? Did they do something to piss them off [[ala Mary Wells)?

I don't think so. I don't know much about them either, but heard they were kind of plain and rural, and were swept aside by the more upscale, glamorous Supremes.

Granted I haven't seen the special in 20 years but I do remember the Marvelettes "Please Mr. Postman" album cover flashing on screen during that montage of album covers that didn't have the artists picture on them so they'd appeal to all buyers during the civil rights struggle.

Here's the thing....Suzanne dePasse came into Motown at a time when Berry Gordy was beginning to focus on bigger and better things. He wanted to transform Motown from being a record company into an entertainment empire. He succeeded in the music field, he began to focus on television and sights looked promising with the successs of "T.C.B." Films were his next goal. Suzanne dePasse worked her way up to be Berry's driving force into that entertainment empire goal. The problem was that it failed. Aside from "Lady Sings The Blues," Motown didn't do well with films. The television side had some successes, but nothing to secure the company has the television production firm to go with. While this was going on, the record company was neglected. The music wasn't as good, the artists were not getting the proper treatment they deserved, and when the company moved out to LA, a lot of the people who founded the company and made it successful were given the brush off and the pink slip. It was a slap in the face and disrespectful. Not to just the Detroit artists, but the producers, writers, engineers, and most importantly, the Funk Brothers. At this point, the company was no longer a family.

Suzanne dePasse may have done well with the television productions such as Motown 25, Motown 40, etc. but she didn't know a thing about the music side and it's importance in the foundation of the firm. History is important and it should be treated with respect. Suzanne didn't treat the history with respect.

Does anyone know what Suzanne dePasse is up to these days?

Current ProjectsProducer King: The upcoming DreamWorks motion picture on the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. with Steven Spielberg and Madison Jones.
    Executive Producer, the upcoming series, Becoming KK Jones, Fox Television Network
    Executive Producer, Life Changers television series with superstar music producer, Rodney Jerkins [[Lady GaGa, Beyonce)
    Producer, Humpty Dumpty, with Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings, Mark Ordesky, Directed by David Ellis [[Final Destination 2 & 4)

TelevisionMINI-SERIES:
    The Temptations, NBC, four hours, 1998, de Passe Entertainment. NAACP Image Award Winner for Best Miniseries. [[Nominated for six Emmy Awards, including Best Mini-Series and won an Emmy for Best Director.) Also nominated for a Golden Globe and won the Producers Guild Award; Directors Guild Award; and Prism Award. Starring: Leon, Charles Malik Whitfield, DB Woodside, Terron Brooks and Christian Payton.
    Dead Man's Walk, ABC, five hours, 1996, de Passe Entertainment. Starring: Edward James Olmos, Keith Carradine, Brian Dennehy and F. Murray Abraham.
    Buffalo Girls, CBS, four hours, 1995, de Passe Entertainment. Nominated for eleven Emmy Awards, including Best Miniseries and Best Actress. Starring Anjelica Huston, Melanie Griffith, Reba McEntire, Sam Elliott and Jack Palance.
    Streets of Laredo, CBS, five hours, 1995, de Passe Entertainment. Starring: James Garner, Sissy Spacek, Sam Shepard and Sonia Braga.
    Return to Lonesome Dove, CBS, four hours, 1993, Motown Productions. Starring: Jon Voight, Barbara Hershey, Rick Schroder and Louis Gossett, Jr. and William Petersen.
    The Jacksons: An American Dream, ABC, five hours, 1992, Motown Productions. Nominated for multiple Emmy Awards, including Best Miniseries. Starring: Angela Bassett, Billy Dee Williams, and Vanessa Williams as Suzanne.
    Lonesome Dove, CBS, eight hours, 1989, Motown Productions. Emmy, Golden Globe, Peabody Award-winning miniseries. Named “Outstanding Program of the Year” by Television Critics Association, Best Miniseries in TV Guide Annual Readers Choice Awards, D.W. Griffith Award by National Board of Review. Among other honors, the success of this landmark western resulted in de Passe’s induction into the Cowboy Hall of Fame. “Lonesome Dove” was based on Larry McMurtry’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. Starring: Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones and Anjelica Huston.
    Small Sacrifices, ABC, four hours, 1989, Motown Productions. Nominated for three Emmy Awards, including Best Miniseries and two Golden Globe Awards. Winner of the Peabody Award. Based on Ann Rule’s best-selling book. Starring: Farrah Fawcett, Ryan O’Neal and John Shea.

MOVIES FOR TELEVISION:
    NETWORK:
    The Loretta Claiborne Story – Two-hour, 2000, Disney/ABC Sunday Night, de Passe Entertainment.
    Someone Else's Child – Two-hour, 1998, ABC, de Passe Entertainment.
    The Last Electric Knight – [[AKA Sidekicks) – Two-hour, 1989, ABC, Motown Productions.
    Bridemaids – Two-hour, 1989, CBS, Motown Productions.
    Happy Endings – Two-hour, 1983, CBS, King Entertainment, Motown Productions.

CABLE:
    Zenon: Z3 – Two-hour, 2004, The Disney Channel, de Passe Entertainment.
    Zenon: The Zequel – Two-hour, 2001, The Disney Channel, de Passe Entertainment. When it aired, the movie had the highest-ever rating for a Disney Channel original movie. Premiered January 2001 with 3.3 rating/6 share.
    Cheaters – Two-hour, 2000, HBO Films, de Passe Entertainment.
    Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century – Two-hour, 1999, The Disney Channel, de Passe Entertainment.

SPECIALS:Executive Producer, Commander In Chief’s Inaugural Ball for President Barack Obama.
    70th Anniversary Tribute to the Apollo Theatre: Two-hour, 2004, NBC, de Passe Entertainment.
    Motown 40: The Music is Forever, Four-hour documentary 1998, ABC, de Passe Entertainment. Executive Producer & Writer.
    Motown 30: What's Goin' On, Two-hour, 1990, CBS, Motown Productions, and Emmy Award Nominee. Executive Producer & Writer.
    Motown: Merri X-Mas, One-hour, 1987, ABC, Motown Productions.
    Motown Returns to the Apollo, Three-hour, 1985, NBC, Motown Productions. Emmy Award winner for best variety Program. NAACP Image Award winner. Executive Producer & Writer.
    Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever, Two-hour, 1983, NBC, Motown Productions, Emmy Award winner for best variety program. Winner of NAACP Image Award and Peabody Award. Executive Producer & Writer.
    Motown on Showtime: – Smokey Robinson – One-hour, 1990, Showtime, Motown Productions. – Comedy on Campus – One-hour, 990, Showtime, Motown Productions. – Michael Jackson – One-hour, 1988, Showtime, Motown Productions. – Marvin Gaye – One-hour, 1987, Showtime, Motown Productions. – Temptations and Four Tops – One-hour, 1986, Showtime, Motown Productions

SERIES:
    Sister, Sister: Half-hour sitcom – 122 episodes completed, 1995–1999, WB, de Passe Entertainment. Starring: Tia and Tamera Mowry, Tim Reid and Jackee Harry.
    Smart Guy: Half-hour sitcom – 51 episodes completed, 1996–1999, WB, de Passe Entertainment. Starring: Tahj Mowry, John Marshall Jones, Jason Weaver, Omar Gooding and Essence Atkins.
    On Our Own: Half-hour sitcom – 19 episodes completed, 1994–1995, ABC, de Passe Entertainment. Starring: The Smollet Family.
    The Motown Revue starring Smokey Robinson: Six one-hour episodes, 1986, NBC, Motown Productions. Starring: Smokey Robinson.

FIRST RUN SYNDICATION:
    Showtime at the Apollo: 130 one-hour episodes completed, variety program format. 2002–Present. Syndicated through Warner Brothers/Telepictures.
    Lonesome Dove, The Outlaw Years: 44 one-hour episodes completed, western drama, 1994-1996. Starring: Eric McCormack, Scott Bairstow and Paul Le Mat.
    Night Life: [[195) half-hour episodes, talk show. 1986-87. Hosted by David Brenner.

AWARD PROGRAMS:
    2006 Black Movie Awards: A Celebration of Black Cinema: Past, Present, & Future. A 90-minute special which aired nationally on Turner Network Television [[TNT) October 18, 2006. Hosted by Tyler Perry
    2005 Black Movie Awards: A Celebration of Black Cinema: Past, Present, & Future. A 90-minute special which aired nationally on Turner Network Television [[TNT) October 19, 2005. Hosted by Cedric the Entertainer
    34th NAACP Image Awards, Two-hour special, 2003 FOX, de Passe Entertainment. Hosted by Cedric the Entertainer.
    2003 Essence Awards, Two-hour special, FOX, de Passe Entertainment.
    2002 Essence Awards, Two-hour special, FOX, de Passe Entertainment. Hosted by Steve Harvey
    33rd NAACP Image Awards, Two-hour special, 2002, FOX, de Passe Entertainment. Hosted by Chris Tucker
    32nd NAACP Image Awards, Two-hour special, 2001, FOX, de Passe Entertainment. Hosted by Chris Tucker
    MUSIC and MORE…Image Awards, One-hour special, 2001, WB, de Passe Entertainment. Hosted by Sinbad and Brandy

Suzanne is one of the most respected and successful women in the entertainment business. As some say, let the facts speak for themselves.

....I'm sorry, but I am laughing at all the grudge holding, monday morning quarterbackin' people here, talking about THE Suzanne DePasse as if she was only marginally successful, and didn't know what she was doing. Got to love it. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    ....I'm sorry, but I am laughing at all the grudge holding, monday morning quarterbackin' people here, talking about THE Suzanne DePasse as if she was only marginally successful, and didn't know what she was doing. Got to love it. LMAO.
    And I bet most if not all that were or were not on the Motown 25 TV Special haven't given it a thought in years if not decades. LOL

While I recognize that MOTOWN 25 must have been a herculean task to produce [[not to mention that I enjoyed it very much), I don't think it's that odd that people had problems with a retrospective show not recognizing major players in the very history they're purporting to honor. As others have pointed out, I thought MOTOWN 40 did quite a good job covering the history of Motown and I suppose that makes perfect sense as it wasn't a live concert, but rather a documentary...

Hmm I thought Richard Pryer mentioned the Marvelettes, although it was very briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Hmm I thought Richard Pryer mentioned the Marvelettes, although it was very briefly.
    And clips of them performing were shown.

Hmmmmmm.........after that dePasse list, I'm wondering if she was more successful than the Supremes???

I thought she was placidly in retirement, chatting with Berry the odd time. I did not realize she had been involved in all the rest of these ventures; I only knew about Lonesome Dove.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Suzanne is one of the most respected and successful women in the entertainment business. As some say, let the facts speak for themselves.
    Thank you.

Any bitter people griping about the job Suzanne did with M25 truly need to get a hobby. de Passe's achievements can't be argued with. She is one sharp lady and don't forget she may very well have been the first African-American female to attain such clout on the business and producer side of things in the business! She paved the way for women like Sylvia Rhone.

Suzanne is in a VERY elite league.