[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    supreme_lady Guest

Motown 25:- The Truth.......

I just saw an interesting article about Motown 25 and the drama between Diana and Mary Wilson. If you scroll down to the comments you will see a wonderful insight into what really happened between the two by a poster called Chris. A great read ...

http://www.filmthreat.com/features/4...#comment-26722

Interesting stuff - thanks for the link. It certainly was a controversial event and I'm betting the truth is somewhere in the middle [[as it usually is). The article writer's off base with this comment, though:
    Even more confusing was the decision to bring out talent who had no connection to Motown. Adam Ant [[of all people) performed an inane version of “Where Did Our Love Go?” while Linda Ronstadt did a duet with Smokey Robinson on “Tracks of My Tears” and “Ooh Baby Baby.”
    Linda had big hits on her own with those 2 songs, I believe. But there's no argument on the Adam Ant comment.

And this from Chris:
    Truth is Wilson, like Gaye, had an axe to grind against Motown. That’s why they showed up in red vs. the preferred black, white/ silver 25th anniversary dress code.
    But Marvin was in white for his terrific performance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F--M...eature=related

Was he first wearing red or something?

That’s why they showed up in red vs. the preferred black, white/ silver 25th anniversary dress code.

It's been quite a few years since I have seen this, but didn't Martha Reeves wear gold?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    That’s why they showed up in red vs. the preferred black, white/ silver 25th anniversary dress code.

It's been quite a few years since I have seen this, but didn't Martha Reeves wear gold?
    Martha was only given a thirty second spot. If you blinked, she was wearing invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Martha was only given a thirty second spot. If you blinked, she was wearing invisible.
    LOL.

And didn't "Mr. Gordy" wear brown [[and a bodyguard)?

Sorry but that comment by that Chris guy is very biased, plus he left some things out.

The fact is both ladies are to blame. End of discussion. New topic?

SupremeLady--all of that was already in Taraborelli's original book "Call Her Miss Ross." I loved Mary's book and it prompted me to get into the Motown story--but even back then I found Mary's account of what happened at M25 a little questionable. I think Mary jumped at the chance to be seen and noticed on that show, and you can't blame her, but blaming everything that happened on DR always was suspect to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Sorry but that comment by that Chris guy is very biased, plus he left some things out.

Agree time to move on. Nothing new.....

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

I think the only thing about Motown 25 that hasn't been discussed is what color panties Miss Ross wore. Do you suppose she wore the preferred black, white, or silver?

Surely I jest, but have any of you actually read the comments people are leaving on the blog? Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    I just saw an interesting article about Motown 25 and the drama between Diana and Mary Wilson. If you scroll down to the comments you will see a wonderful insight into what really happened between the two by a poster called Chris. A great read ...

http://www.filmthreat.com/features/4...#comment-26722
    Mary Wilson told us what happened in her book way back in 1986. Nelson George also told us what happened in his book!

The comments on that particular blog seem anti Mary and some are not nice. And Mary Wilson recently said negative comments online hurt her.

It's time fans moved on; we have some here saying mean things about various Supremes.

The Supremes dont do it and the fans should stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Interesting stuff - thanks for the link. It certainly was a controversial event and I'm betting the truth is somewhere in the middle [[as it usually is). The article writer's off base with this comment, though:

Linda had big hits on her own with those 2 songs, I believe. But there's no argument on the Adam Ant comment.

And this from Chris:

But Marvin was in white for his terrific performance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F--M...eature=related

Was he first wearing red or something?

Mary Wilson also wore black. The same dress that is seen in this video!

Purple and black and then multi colored clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    SupremeLady--all of that was already in Taraborelli's original book "Call Her Miss Ross." I loved Mary's book and it prompted me to get into the Motown story--but even back then I found Mary's account of what happened at M25 a little questionable. I think Mary jumped at the chance to be seen and noticed on that show, and you can't blame her, but blaming everything that happened on DR always was suspect to me.
    No matter what Mary or anyone else did that night, it does not give Diana Ross the right to put her hands on anyone! That night [[when I found out what happened that night of the taping...) I was very disappointed and finished with her forever. It told me too much about her.

I think the only thing about Motown 25 that hasn't been discussed is what color panties Miss Ross wore. Do you suppose she wore the preferred black, white, or silver?

She probably didn't wear any! hehehehehehe.......

Surely I jest, but have any of you actually read the comments people are leaving on the blog? Disgusting.
    If they are disgusting, then I'm not reading it and will now begin to question why Supreme Lady even started this thread. I mean all of his/her threads are something about Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The comments on that particular blog seem anti Mary and some are not nice. And Mary Wilson recently said negative comments online hurt her.

It's time fans moved on; we have some here saying mean things about various Supremes.

The Supremes dont do it and the fans should stop.
    and they should stop lying too.....wouldn't you agree?

atcsm Guest
    I thought she wore red...
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary Wilson also wore black. The same dress that is seen in this video!

She wore that black dress during part of the taping and changed into the red one later on.

atcsm Guest
    So, the red one was planned during the altercation? Just trying to put the pieces together.
    She wore that black dress during part of the taping and changed into the red one later on.

Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    So, the red one was planned during the altercation? Just trying to put the pieces together.

I don't know. I never heard of a professional entertainer/singer putting their hands out and shoving another professional in front of a live audience just because of what they were wearing. I still say Mary should have kick her unnatural born ass in front of everyone and that would have taught Ross not to do it again. Now that is what I know.........

Marv

THE BOOTLEG FILES: MOTOWN 25 – YESTERDAY, TODAY, FOREVER

BOOTLEG FILES 410: “Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever” [[1983 TV special featuring Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and the Supremes).

LAST SEEN: The full show is available in a six-part installment on YouTube.

AMERICAN HOME VIDEO: A VHS version was released, but no official DVD version has appeared.

REASON FOR BOOTLEG STATUS: The lack of a DVD release may be tied to problems with the clearance of music and performance rights.

CHANCES OF SEEING A COMMERCIAL DVD RELEASE: It is possible.

On March 25, 1983, California’s Pasadena Civic Auditorium was home to a one-shot TV special that reunited several of the major stars of the Motown record label. The resulting production was called “Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever” and it is mostly remembered for two sequences: the extraordinary performance of a non-Motown song and a smackdown between the members of one of Motown’s most celebrated acts.

Beyond those legendary moments, however, “Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever” was a fairly mundane production that offered a bumpy celebration of the record label’s illustrious history.

The show got off to a bad start with an opening number featuring the Lester Wilson Dancers performing a cheesy interpretation of “Dancing in the Street.” The show’s host, a visibly ill-at-ease Richard Pryor, followed them by reading his lines off a TelePrompTer with wide-eyed discomfort. Pryor lamely joked about the star-studded evening by claiming, “I’ve seen stars and I’ve seen studs.”

For those looking to enjoy a memory lane stroll, “Motown 25” provided a reunion of The Miracles, who performed a medley of four of their classic tunes, and Stevie Wonder performing a medley of six of his top-charting songs. In both cases, the presentations seemed perfunctory, as if none of the singers were too eager to revisit their classic work.

Nostalgia addicts were equally out of luck in a “battle of the bands” featuring The Four Tops and The Temptations – neither group seemed to be in top spirit for the show. Marvin Gaye, who had a bitter break-up with Motown years earlier, was not originally scheduled to perform. But he showed up and gave the show a much needed energy boost with a moving monologue on African American music history and an appropriately soulful performance of “What’s Going On.” In retrospect, his appearance was the most poignant part of the show – a year later, his father shot him to death during a domestic dispute.

Gaye’s star-turn was matched by a boisterous reunion of The Jacksons, who performed four of their top Motown songs. But the real star of this segment was Michael Jackson, whose solo career was taking off in 1983. Jackson [[along with his brothers) left Motown years earlier and he was not particularly eager to be part of the production. He only agreed to appear if he could perform his then current hit single, “Billie Jean,” which was released by the Epic label.

What happened next, of course, changed the course of Jackson’s career and popular music. Jackson’s kinetic performance, complete with the first public presentation of the Moonwalk dance, created a sensation that had not been seen since the Beatles’ arrival on “The Ed Sullivan Show.” The taping of “Motown 25” had to be stopped in order for the electrified audience to regain its composure – and when the show was broadcast, Jackson was immediately elevated from a relatively benign pop star into a trend-setting music industry powerhouse based on this one number.

However, Jackson’s show stopping moment called attention to the problems with “Motown 25.” Despite its stellar line-up, few of the performers gave evidence of their talents. Two legendary ladies, Mary Wells and Martha Reeves, were only given about 30-seconds apiece to present samples of their best-known work – and, sadly, both women were far from their vocal primes. T.G. Sheppard, who recorded for Motown’s ill fated and mostly forgotten country music label in the 1970s, offered a bit of Nashville twang [[which was completely out of place in the show’s line-up). Junior Walker and The Commodores also turned up, but neither sparked any fires. Lionel Richie, who abstained from a Commodores reunion, did a pre-taped solo turn and used his screen time to point out that the profits from the special were being used to finance sickle cell anemia research.

Even more confusing was the decision to bring out talent who had no connection to Motown. Adam Ant [[of all people) performed an inane version of “Where Did Our Love Go?” while Linda Ronstadt did a duet with Smokey Robinson on “Tracks of My Tears” and “Ooh Baby Baby.” Dick Clark offered a brief overview of famous white artists who covered Motown tunes, Howard Hesseman and Tim Reid reprised their DJ characters from “WKRP in Cincinnati” and fast-talking comic actor John Moschitta Jr. also showed up on stage.

However, the most entertaining part of the production was never shown to the public: the notorious Supremes reunion, when Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong unexpectedly upstaged Diana Ross. Ross – who rejected a multi-song medley in favor of a single number – was initially confused as Wilson and Birdsong strayed from the choreography of their rehearsed routine and Wilson boldly took the lead vocals on “Someday We’ll Be Together.” But when Wilson closed the number by inviting Motown founder Berry Gordy Jr. to the stage, Ross reacted violently. Just what happened next has been in dispute – some sources say that Ross physically pushed Wilson down the stage, while other sources say that Ross merely pushed away Wilson’s microphone while she was speaking. The videotape of the segment has never been publicly screened, but the news of Ross’ hissy fit confirmed her reputation as an imperious diva and the incident soured Wilson and Birdsong from doing any further reunions with Ross.

But the Ross temper was not the only thing missing from the show. A number of major Motown legends, most notably Gladys Knight and the Pips, were absent from the stage, and no praise was given to the contributions of the Funk Brothers to the Motown sound. After the show was staged, news leaked that James Jamerson, an influential bassist in the Funk Brothers, was denied a ticket to the show and had to purchase a seat from a scalper. He died five months later from alcohol-related health complications.

NBC broadcast “Motown 25” on May 16, 1983, and the program attracted an estimated 47 million viewers. The show won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Program and was nominated for eight other awards. Jackson and [[inexplicably) Pryor received nominations for Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program, but they lost to soprano Leontyne Price for her guest star turn on PBS’ “Live from Lincoln Center.”

MGM/UA Home Video released “Motown 25” on VHS video in July 1991. To date, however, there has been no DVD release. One can easily assume that issues relating to clearing music and performance rights have held up the DVD premiere. However, it is easy to locate enterprising bootleggers who sell pirated DVD copies made from the VHS release, and the full program has an unauthorized presentation in six installments on YouTube.

But anyone finding “Motown 25” might be surprised at the quotidian nature of the offering. Beyond Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” the program is much less magical than many people may realize.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The unauthorized duplication and distribution of copyright-protected material, either for crass commercial purposes or profit-free shits and giggles, is not something that the entertainment industry appreciates. On occasion, law enforcement personnel boost their arrest quotas by collaring cheery cinephiles engaged in such activities. So if you are going to copy and distribute bootleg material, a word to the wise: don’t get caught. Oddly, the purchase and ownership of bootleg DVDs is perfectly legal. Go figure!

19 Comments on "THE BOOTLEG FILES: MOTOWN 25 – YESTERDAY, TODAY, FOREVER"

Steve Weaver [[UK) on Fri, 13th Jan 2012 9:16 am

I heard that Berry Gordy stood in the OB unit while the deliberate attempt by Wilson to upstage Ross section of the master tape was edited and the so-called ‘fight’ part was immediately wiped. I can believe that because the show was a Motown production and Berry would never allow that sort of fiasco to stay recorded for posterity – despite millions of us wanting to see what actually happened…

Report Comment

Stephan on Fri, 13th Jan 2012 12:47 pm

Diana Ross was not “upstaged” by either woman.
    What Wilson did do was prove her intense jealousy of Diana Ross.
    All Wilson had to do was show up & get into her assigned position, just like The Jacksons, Temptations, Four Tops, Miracles, DeBarge, etc., did, but, Wilson couldn’t be happy where her minimal talents have placed her, and her behavior ruined what could have been a magical moment, but, when you’re as desperate for publicity as is Wilson, what else can be expected?
    The ladies were asked to wear either black or white. Wilson wears red.
    She then proceeds to take over Diana’s lead. She accomplishes this by conspiring with Birdsong to sing uber-softly during the group’s sound check, thus, forcing sound techs to raise the volume levels her & Birdsong’s mics.
    These two acts, ALONE, are great testimonies to Wilson’s pettiness, jealousy & all-around unprofessionalism, which is why Diana’s still selling out Radio City, The Hollywood Bowl and every venue she plays in between for upwards of $250 per seat, while Wilson can’t even fill the lounges & bars & grills she plays for $15 a seat.

Report Comment

Phil Hall on Fri, 13th Jan 2012 12:52 pm

The status of the Supremes’ brawl footage is unclear. In researching this article, I read that Berry still has the footage. However, I suspect that it was destroyed. I would have also loved to have seen and heard the unedited audience reaction to the “Billie Jean” number – as stated above, the telecast production was halted until the overly enthused audience was able to regain its composure after over-the-top cheering for Michael Jackson’s star-turn.

Report Comment

Chris on Fri, 13th Jan 2012 2:45 pm

The Supremes smack down has been twisted and turned by several writers [[including Mary Wilson) for profit. Truth is Wilson, like Gaye, had an axe to grind against Motown. That’s why they showed up in red vs. the preferred black, white/ silver 25th anniversary dress code.

Ross had just left Motown for RCA for $20 million, the most lucrative female recording contract at the time. She was in the firing line of most of the envious Motown acts just as she had been during her tenure with the company as its prize act.

Wilson had secretly told a nervous Birdsong to follow her every move. She even told Birdsong to sing quietly during rehearsals so the sound engineer raised their mic levels. Come time to the actual performance, their mics were louder than Ross’s.

Wilson also went off the teleprompter and talked about the loss of Florence Ballard earlier in the show. This was edited out and sparked the fury of both Berry Gordy and Motown head Suzanne de Passe.

The Supremes were, in fact, prepared to do a medley, but the show ran overtime and it was decided that the girls would only do Someday We’ll Be Together. Such is the unpredictability of doing a live show.

Ross did not shove Wilson on stage. Ross was given direction from de Passe to make a speech and call down Gordy. It seemed fitting that Ross be the one to do so, but Wilson interceded and cut off Ross, so Ross delicately pushed Wilson’s mic down. It was anything but a smack down.

It was Wilson, who deliberately sabotaged The Supremes’ reunion — from not reading the teleprompter to strutting out late in not a complementary black number, but a shocking red gown to then stealing the lead vocals on Someday [[she later claimed she thought Ross had forgotten the lyrics).

Wilson needed to spark drama for her memoir, Dreamgirl – My Life As A Supreme, and the press which loves a cat fight, bought into Wilson’s story and pinned Ross to the cross, who by the way, was sick with the stomach flu [[notice her red tongue; she was sucking on lozenges the entire night).

Sadly, at the stroke of midnight whilst everyone was still on stage concluding the chorus of Reach Out And Touch, it was Ross’s birthday. A bittersweet moment, indeed.

People forget how hard it was for Ross [[and Jackson) to return to Motown that night. They were the biggest Motown acts, who had left on not so pleasant terms, but they agreed to do the special out of respect and appreciation to Gordy. So what if Jackson performed Billie Jean. That one performance had an enormous impact on pop culture and prompted MTV to start showcasing black acts. Petty antics by so called stars, who harbored soured grapes at what was to be a celebration, ought to have been the ones lambasted.

And let’s not forget, if not for Ross and her talent, drive, and yes, affections between her and Gordy, The Supremes might not have been supreme at all. The notion that you could simply replace one girl on lead with another is ridiculous. What savvy business mogul would threaten his gravy train if he had an act with a lead singer that was churning No. 1s after No. 1s and rivaling The Beatles and Elvis along the way?

Sure Florence had an earthier voice, but she didn’t have what Ross had: superstar charisma and cross-over appeal during a racially divided era in America. Twas only five years girl. If Ballard just sucked it up, she could very well have taken over The Supremes after Ross’s exit in 1969. Was but a mere 5 year run they had.

But Ballard, a rape victim, was plagued by psychological demons and rebelled in jealous fits of alcoholic rage. If you act out [[by throwing a drink in your boss’s face in public, boozing up before a show, gaining weight, messing up your choreography and threatening everything The Supremes had accomplished as a top class act), hell yeah, you are gonna be put out, woman. Period.

And did Mary Quite Contrary stand up for Ballard during the entire ordeal? Nope. She stayed mum, and only decided to “right the wrong” after Ballard’s death by milking a book deal — profits, from which, I doubt went to Ballard’s family.

Ross, on the other hand, set up a trust fund for Ballard’s kids, had given Ballard money over the years, and even tried to save her house when it was about to foreclose. Funny how no one ever talks about that.

Report Comment

Samantha on Sat, 14th Jan 2012 4:12 pm

I found Motown 25 a bit lack luster except for Michael Jackson performing “Billy Jean” and Mary Wilson struting out on stage wearing that hot red dress belting out “Someday We’ll Be Together.”

Report Comment

BuffBeachBum on Sat, 14th Jan 2012 6:17 pm

You only have to look at Mary Wilson over the years duplicate whatever “look” Diana Ross was sporting at the time to see that there is something really, really strange going on with this woman. I met her in Memphis and she was very nice, but a little like watching a female impersonator of Ross: amusing, but clearly not diva material.

Report Comment

Timothy on Sat, 14th Jan 2012 7:20 pm

Chris you wrote the complete and honest truth, nuff said, I’m glad someone finally got it right. I’m a true Ross fan and will be forever Diana!

Report Comment

Rick on Sun, 15th Jan 2012 11:11 am

Mary Wilson could never upstage Diana Ross…Mary is classless…Mary started the whole thing by instigating Cindy into her plans. If Diana had retired years ago…there would be no Mary Wilson, Marys life now is nothing without a Diana Ross mention…No Mary cant ever upstage a Diva like Diana Ross. And its Diana thet wont ever do a Reunion Tour…Not Mary…shes been begging for one for the last couple of years. Mary says its up to Diana now……well Mary,,,,dont hold your breath! Dianas Fans are a Fierce Bunch and We will always protect our Diva!

Report Comment

Kirk Bonin on Sun, 15th Jan 2012 12:14 pm

Finally, poster “Chris” gets it right and sets the record straight about marywilson’s devious act that evening. It is so easy for some to want to believe that Diana was some anti-Christ. What few seemed to know is that Mary was actually fired from Motown. There was a press release in Billboard magazine after the release of her disastrous solo debut. She had begun her passive agressive tactics claiming that or rather threatening that she “was going to write a book”. The Motown brass were not going to tolerate her antics without a counter attack. And that counter attack came in the form of a press release that she was indeed fired from the label. Now knowing this important bit of information, why would the one person that was fired from the company introduce the CEO on such an important night? Diana, is and has always been considered “The Queen of Motown”…. No matter where her career takes her. It was only appropriate that Suzanne dePasse select her to announce Berry at the finale. This myth has gone on far too long. The victimized marywilson has made a career of it. The jig is up!

Report Comment

Wayne on Sun, 15th Jan 2012 1:01 pm

What a refreshing change to read positive opinions on the internet regarding Diana Ross. Almost makes me realise that there is hope out there after all !

Report Comment

Bill on Sun, 15th Jan 2012 9:19 pm

I know Motown 25 is best remembered as the show Michael Jackson unveiled the moonwalk, but IMO, the highlight of the show was watching Marvin Gaye sing. To me, that was the performance of the night.

Now will Motown/Universal finally release this classic on DVD?

Report Comment

smark21 Guest
    I'm sure the writer of the filmthreat article, in reading the comments, can only conclude that fans of Diana Ross and The Supremes are insane.

The only comment worth cutting and pasting was this one, IMO:

Shantel Baker on Mon, 16th Jan 2012 12:54 pm

Girl, when Diane pushed Mary, Smokey and I decided that he better go out and difuse the situation; we didn’t want no bald Diane Ross up on that stage!

Unfortunately when they edited that clip, they also cut out my 14 minute version of the Supremes classic “Wait”, which was released shortly after I replaced Freda Payne in the group.

I WAS THERE WITH SHANTEL!

I was so honored to be asked to do background vocals on "Wait" along with Marvin Gaye in cross dressing mode by Smokey that night. We wore matching gowns that turned out to be the same one Mary Wilson had purchased. Poor Mare had to switch out of dress code into the Red reunion gown once she realized Marvin and I wore them better than her. Our perfomance was cut for two reasons. One was that Shantel listened to the advice that Mary ignored from Richard Pryor and Martha Reeves to step on Diane's fur and kick it off the stage, which she did so hard that it knocked Adam Ant out. The other was that a week later Motown productions called the Andantes in to overdub my background vocals and I wasn't about to let Stop! In The Name Of Love happen twice so I refused to sign my performance rights waver. Luckily, the bookings for our tour of Dollar General parking lots increased from the exposure and made up for lost VHS tape sales....

Purple and black and then multi colored clothing.
    Marv, I think what Marybrewster is thinking about is what Martha was wearing in the finale... the top was multicolored like you said... but her pants were gold. And as a perfect example of how things get distorted, that Chris person said that diana was suffering from Stomach flu, and you could see her red tongue from the cough drops. EXCUSE ME, but when was the last time someone had a cough from STOMACH flu? Stomach flu does not make anyone cough... it's purely gastrointestinal... it make make you shit yourself, but that's generally the worst symptom. It reminds me of this jackass on the Mama Cass documentary that said she craash dieted and gave herself mono and Hepatitis... both of which are VIRUSES, no crash diet gives anyobody hepatitis.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 01-17-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I'm sure the writer of the filmthreat article, in reading the comments, can only conclude that fans of Diana Ross and The Supremes are insane.
    And they can't let anything go or move on. They pack grudges about things that may or may not happened within the Supremes from 30 and 40 and 45 years ago.

Mary really sings the hell out of that song [[You Dance My Heart around the stars). Too bad she recorded when record companies would only release disco songs.

Does anyone know if that was the last performance by Marvin Gaye on Television ?

Perhaps not his last appearahce; he may have sung Sexual Healing at the Grammys after that.

Love the story about the flu; you can't argue that the flu doesn't give you a cough but that it might make you crap yourself though. But then alot of Supremes stories might create the same reaction...........so, it was a good spot to remind of us of what the flu is and what causes it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Perhaps not his last appearahce; he may have sung Sexual Healing at the Grammys after that.

Love the story about the flu; you can't argue that the flu doesn't give you a cough but that it might make you crap yourself though. But then alot of Supremes stories might create the same reaction...........so, it was a good spot to remind of us of what the flu is and what causes it.
    You are overlooking the obvious and that is she MAY have been drinking that night.......

Both came off very poorly that night.

Diana did not want to be there, period. She brushed Mary and Cindy off and was completely rude to them. She should have sucked it up, been friendly and did the intended medley for the one night.

Mary acted like a five year old trying to get attention at a talent show. She looked great, but this "Getting caught up in the moment" excuse when she was introducing Berry has always been rubbish. She was deliberately looking for an altercation with Diana. You can tell it in her body language when she strutted out there to where she turned around and gave that wink to someone behind her before they rolled the credits.

Diana shouldn't have put her hands on Mary. Mary gave her the intended bait and Diana should have not taken it. Mary's introduction wouldn't have made it on television anyway, because there was no way Suzanne de Passe was going to allow someone who had sued the label and left it on such angry terms to be given that spotlight. It would have been cut post-production and re-edited with Diana doing it.

I am a fan of both The Supremes and Diana Ross and I am not insane. I just prefer to read these comments and ignore them while SMH - shameful.

Tyrone

It was always kind of weird for me to watch this show later and see Marvin Gaye. Then as the writer said one year later he was gone. He was such a great talent and such a lost.
    I have never felt any less of Diana for wanting a solo spot no more than Michael Jackson wanting his and they deserved it!!!
    There was a lot going on that night and so much to cram into a show of that magnitude so I am not sure if I could have done any better than De Passe without being a little prejudice.
    By the way although Martha only got about 45 seconds no one has mentioned that she was Vandellas- less. The only thing I remember from that night that sticks in my crawl was thinking “Where are The Marvelettes ?”

^ That's basically what irked me about Motown 25 [[I saw on youtube, since i was'nt born to see the original), The Marvelettes get shafted, and having a couple performer who have no connection to Motown preform songs.

supreme_lady Guest
    If they are disgusting, then I'm not reading it and will now begin to question why Supreme Lady even started this thread. I mean all of his/her threads are something about Diana Ross.
    I started the thread, not just because I am a Diana Ross fan but I thought it's a topic which will interest people [[afterall this is a Motown forum) and when I posted the link, there were only a few comments posted on there, how was I to know it will turn into a anti Mary Wison comments??? anyway why are you picking on me???? as if you wouldn't have posted something if it was Diana getting attacked instead of your precious Miss Wilson????

So back off child, ptssssss and YES I will continue posting Ross related stuff on here because she's the one I am most interested in, if you don't like what I post, then don't read it.

I started the thread, not just because I am a Diana Ross fan but I thought it's a topic which will interest people [[afterall this is a Motown forum) and when I posted the link, there were only a few comments posted on there, how was I to know it will turn into a anti Mary Wison comments??? anyway why are you picking on me???? as if you wouldn't have posted something if it was Diana getting attacked instead of your precious Miss Wilson????
    This is old, tired news. If you've read posts on the subject either here or in other forums you would know how toxic this subject can be. Now that you understand, maybe you will avoid topics like this in the future. Once burned by fire . . . .

smark21 Guest

So back off child, ptssssss and YES I will continue posting Ross related stuff on here because she's the one I am most interested in, if you don't like what I post, then don't read it.
    OH please. You started the thread to stir up some shit. Nothing wrong with it as I do it too, but at least owe up to it rather than play the innocent "I thought this would interest people" ploy. Besides this thread got more responses than your usual threads which usually consist of a picture of Diana Ross buying potato chips at the supermarket.

supreme_lady Guest

Angry

OH please. You started the thread to stir up some shit. Nothing wrong with it as I do it too, but at least owe up to it rather than play the innocent "I thought this would interest people" ploy. Besides this thread got more responses than your usual threads which usually consist of a picture of Diana Ross buying potato chips at the supermarket.
    If it makes you all happy, yes, I posted the thread to stir up shit, HAPPY NOW???????????

By the way no one forces anyone to read or click on threads or links, it's your choice whether you want to post or respond to a thread or not, when I posted the thread, the TITLE was very clear, then whether you respond or not is your choice.

Anyway think what you want, whatever!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 01-18-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post

Diana did not want to be there, period. She brushed Mary and Cindy off and was completely rude to them. She should have sucked it up, been friendly and did the intended medley for the one night.

Mary acted like a five year old trying to get attention at a talent show. She looked great, but this "Getting caught up in the moment" excuse when she was introducing Berry has always been rubbish. She was deliberately looking for an altercation with Diana. You can tell it in her body language when she strutted out there to where she turned around and gave that wink to someone behind her before they rolled the credits.

Diana shouldn't have put her hands on Mary. Mary gave her the intended bait and Diana should have not taken it. Mary's introduction wouldn't have made it on television anyway, because there was no way Suzanne de Passe was going to allow someone who had sued the label and left it on such angry terms to be given that spotlight. It would have been cut post-production and re-edited with Diana doing it.
    Now THIS is the truth behind Motown 25.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Does anyone know if that was the last performance by Marvin Gaye on Television ?
    MOTOWN 25 was most likely his last network appearance. He had performed at the Grammys earlier in the year.

The following summer, he went on tour. When he came to my city, he was featured on a local television program. Unfortunately, he was in a very bad state, having paranoid tendencies about someone trying to poison him.

You know Boy George has said in interviews that although he was very touched that they asked him to be on the show [[As he was one of the hottest artists at that time) he wondered himself what the hell he was doing there. He said he felt vey intimidated because these people were his idols and he felt he could never measure up to them.

yeah Marvin had several demons by then but still a great talent- His Lp[[CD) Dream of A Lifetime expressed in my opinion expressed a very different side of him. Gone but not forgotton.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    MOTOWN 25 was most likely his last network appearance. He had performed at the Grammys earlier in the year.

The following summer, he went on tour. When he came to my city, he was featured on a local television program. Unfortunately, he was in a very bad state, having paranoid tendencies about someone trying to poison him.

You need to stop trippin because you are not fooling me. Diana Ross Fan/ anti Mary Wilson comments is enough to show your complete hand!

Picking on you? Yeah I question why you would start ANOTHER thread not about "Motown 25", but about the pushing incident when you know it's been discuss many times here already. You included in the title of this thread "The Truth" like there was going to be something that had never been said before or as if all that has been written about in books have been lies! Yeah I'm calling you out for it!

If I posted every negative comment about Diana Ross that I have seen on the internet, it would be a 24 hour a day job! She has a troubled reputation in America. But most people know that and why would I waste time regurgitating it? To make her fans feel bad? Naw!
    I don't care if you post all day about Ross, as this may be the only place on Earth where there may be a handful of people interested. I am talking about deliberately inciting arguments by using certain worn out subjects for your threads! Post some more of her going to the grocery store!

Jill--Boy George wrote extensively about his appearance at Motown Returns to the Apollo. He had a duet with Stevie Wonder, and he was so intimidated that he just sort of hummed along while Stevie sang. Stevie was supportive, but BG couldn't keep up so they switched songs and did [[if I recall correctly) Part Time Lover instead. BG said Luther Vandross used him "as a mop" when they did their duet--vocally murdering BG. Boy was humiliated, but felt better later when he heard Smookey Robinson singing, because, according to BG, Smokey sounded like "a throttled duck." BG said there was much bitchiness backstage, mostly directed at Diana Ross.

BG also tell some fascinating stories about Miss Ross too.

Quote Originally Posted by thaperson View Post

You just told the unbiased truth and I thank you for that.

Roberta

Roberta, I couldn't agree more. Thank you thaperson for telling it like it was and it is very ancient history now. Time to move on for us. Goodness knows Diana, Mary and Cindy have.

Happy New Year to everyone here.

Roberta, I hope you enjoyed you shipment of AVON products that you ordered during the Holidays.

Penny
    Singing the praises of AVON in a very MOTOWN way