[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 3

A couple of questions on this release:

*Upon it's release, was anyone confused about the title [[wondering what happened to Volume 2?). It's now known that thier "Greatest Hits" [[blue, double LP) is considered Volume 1 and 2, but no where on that release is it noted.

*Why were "Love Is Here" and "The Happening" reincluded, when the hit "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" wasn't?

uptight Guest
    The Blue GH LP only became Vol. 1 & 2 when it was released as two separate compact discs in the 1990s. Then the original GH "Volume 2" [[with the white cover) became Vol. 3 on compact disc.

As the original blue Greatest Hits LP package was released in 1967, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" was not yet released [[1968). And when the white cover GH Vol 2 was released in 1969, I'm assuming the duet wasn't including because it was a duet instead of a DRATS track.

In the US, the "white album" was always issued as Volume 3. Yes, it seemed odd at the time. It seemed to be a way for Motown to "pad" the Supremes legacy. Greatest hits packages were often 2-LP sets, so this seemed to be kind of cheesy to me.

I think the reason the earlier two songs were included again was just because the Supremes didn't have much new hit material at the time. I believe the reason the Temptations duets were left off was so as not to cannibalize the duet LPs which were still doing well on the charts at the time.

Looking at this LP; it looks like a rush, budget release. Where the blue "Greatest Hits" was lush with liner notes and the most "supreme" portraits of Diana, mary, and Flo, this one looks pretty cheap and not designed well as a companion release to the former. Maybe by this time the focus was to get Diana on her own and Mary and Cindy with Jean?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Looking at this LP; it looks like a rush, budget release. Where the blue "Greatest Hits" was lush with liner notes and the most "supreme" portraits of Diana, mary, and Flo, this one looks pretty cheap and not designed well as a companion release to the former. Maybe by this time the focus was to get Diana on her own and Mary and Cindy with Jean?
    I'm sure that was the case. From Wikipedia, it looks like they released 4 LPs in 1969: Let the Sunshine In, Together with the Tempts, Cream of the Crop and GH Vol. 3. Farewell came out in 1970, but I believe the farewell performance was pretty early in the year. So GH Vol. 3 had to be released shortly before the Farewell LP, or at least not long before.

Where is Jimi LaLumia? He always has sources for the exact release dates of everything...

RossHolloway Guest
    Aside from the Miracles greatest hits album, wern't all the other greatest hits albums just a single record? I'm referring to the greatest hits albums put out on the artist starting in 1966[[?) with all the album jackets essentially the same design. The Temps had a blue cover, Mary Wells was gray, the Marvelettes was green...

"Sunshine" was released May 26, 1969
    "Together" was released September 23, 1969
    "Cream" was released November 3, 1969
    "Broadway" was released November 7, 1969
    "Vol. 3" was released December 18, 1969
    "Farewell" was released April 13, 1970
    "Right On" was released April 26, 1970

While "Right On" obviously was not a Diana Ross record, that is 7 Supremes releases in one calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Aside from the Miracles greatest hits album, wern't all the other greatest hits albums just a single record? I'm referring to the greatest hits albums put out on the artist starting in 1966[[?) with all the album jackets essentially the same design. The Temps had a blue cover, Mary Wells was gray, the Marvelettes was green...
    Yes, and the Vandellas was gold. You would just think that being the Supremes were Motown's biggest stars [[IMO), that their "final" release would have been a little more elaborate. Some liner notes, maybe even a gatefold.

RossHolloway Guest
    Yes, and the Vandellas was gold. You would just think that being the Supremes were Motown's biggest stars [[IMO), that their "final" release would have been a little more elaborate. Some liner notes, maybe even a gatefold.
    Well the GH3 album and the songs included kinda spoke for themselves. It's not like the group was a new or unknown entity in late '69. What was to be added? Plus didn't Farewell have a pull out insert?

As mentioned, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" could have been included. Or some B-sides, much like the first Greatest Hits package.

For their swan song LP, it kinda sucked.

One of the reasons GH3 didn't do so well, it was out there at the same time as Together, Cream of the Crop and GIT. Gordy flooded the market on Ross for her farewell. The lps competed and none did very well.

Love Is Here and The Happening were included to add more No.1's on the set. Gonna Make You Love Me I guess just didn't occur to anyone since it was duet. Back then, they didn't mix this stuff up like it is done now. Also, The Young Folks was gratefully left off. GH3 truly is a weak lp and the cover purely third rate

Here is a link to view covers from that era.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2460803...7615997473344/

Thanks for the link.

I always assumed since there were two records it was volumes 1 and 2 so Volume three didnt surprise me.

I wonder whose bright idea it was for them to even do the Young Folks that is a horrible record IMO. Bayou thanks for the clarification because I remember as a child the market being flooded with Diana Ross and the Supremes this and that and I knew everyone had the blue album but the other ones I only saw in a few households. I was a little shocked that
    the Farewell album didnt do better though. I guess since people saw TCB and GIT and Someday Well Be Together [[which sold very well) was on the market ...Farewell didnt get airplay so for those who are into live albums they are the only ones who scooped it up.

And yet the Young Folks made the charts.

i liked the YOUNG FOLKS and thought it should have been included[[imo). yeah i think everyone thought the Vol 3 was a strange release as i always thought it should have been Vol 2 and Vol 3 the Jean years etc.
    yeah , and the cover art was cheesey,a;though i like it better than LET THE SUNSHINE IN. but i would have used a more glam shot for the cover.

I thought I would redesign the "Greatest Hits - Vol. 3" album cover to look like Marvin Gaye's and Smokey & the Miracles' Greatest Hits - Vol. 2 albums. I could have done a lot better with it, but I just threw it together. Much better than the original design. Enjoy!

Name:  Greatest Hits - Vol. 3 [[watermark).jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  57.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    In the US, the "white album" was always issued as Volume 3. Yes, it seemed odd at the time. It seemed to be a way for Motown to "pad" the Supremes legacy. Greatest hits packages were often 2-LP sets, so this seemed to be kind of cheesy to me.

I think the reason the earlier two songs were included again was just because the Supremes didn't have much new hit material at the time. I believe the reason the Temptations duets were left off was so as not to cannibalize the duet LPs which were still doing well on the charts at the time.
    2-Lp Greatest Hits sets were actually not the norm. In fact, Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits [Vol. 1&2] was the very first double-LP greatest hits package in chart history to hit #1. And on top of that, it was only the 2nd greatest hits album to ever hit #1 , the first being Johnny Mathis nearly 10 years earlier.

It was also only the 2nd 2-LP album to ever hit #1 - of any type of album! The first being 'Judy Garland live at Carnegie Hall'.

Bradsupremes - Great cover design, and yes, much improved over the original!

Like the re-design of the Volume 3 - very nice, though maybe it was Volume 2 that could have done with a makeover, bearing in mind that, for the CD at least, its just a reddy pink version of the blue Volume 1 cover. As ever though, a quality re-design by BS.

Great redesign bradsupremes!

I think I got this eventually because I didn't buy the album Reflections and I wanted the song In and Out of Love; I remember how much I liked the background work and the interaction of Diana Ross and what I thought were the Supremes. And it was only last month I found out it was just the Andantes.

Love the design Brad! You are quite talented to whip that up in a jiffy! Also, lol that it has "No Matter What Sign You Are" twice, but still no "Young Folks"!

There's a very strange thing with the GREATEST HITS VOL.1 and VOL.2 cds...

From the wears that can be seen, there's no doubt that the same lp art was used for :
    Grestest Hits Vol.1 / Vol.2 [[2fer) : MCD08029MD
    Grestest Hits Vol.1 : MOTD-5357
    Grestest Hits Vol.2 : MOTD-5358
    Grestest Hits Vol.1 : 3746353572
    Grestest Hits Vol.2 : 3746353582

So the lp arts should look exectly the same on each cd edition as one and only lp cover was used to create the cd arts, but they don't !

Ready ?

Both lps on the 2fer have the 'Deluxe package...' sticker, the blue and the pink art [[even if on the picture we can't really see it, I confirm it is there on my cd)
    Else only the MOTD-5358 volume 2 blue cd has this sticker : it has been removed for MOTD-5357 volume 1 blue cd and for both 37463535x2 volume 1 and 2 cds

Both MOTD cds are blue ! Volume 1 has no sticker and volume 2 has it
    3746353572 volume 1 is blue without sticker
    3746353582 is pink without sticker

I know I must not be that clear, so here's a picture : above are the MOTD cds [[volume 1 on the left and volume 2 on the right), and below are the 37463535x2 cds in the same order, and then the 2fer. The sticker I'm reffering to is left of the "S" from Supremes

Seen from another way :
    -all 3 Volume 2 arts are different [[blue with sticker / pink without sticker / pink with sticker)
    -volume 1 is blue, but the sticker appears on the 2fer only
    -blue with sticker is the MOTD volume 2 art AND the 2fer voume 1 art [[so a different 'album')
    -only volume 1 on stand alone cds both have the same art

Even if you can't clearly see on y picture which one is the MOTD or the 374635 cd, it's quite easy to notice the barcode is bigger and larger on one of each edition of each volume. The barcode is bigger on the MOTD releases [[cds above)

Strange huh ?

JB-P
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jbpintus; 01-14-2012 at 10:28 PM.

And for good measure....
    Attachment 4149

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And for good measure....
    Attachment 4149
    Thanks for posting that, because it made me remember another funny thing: that *BOTH* those pics of the girls were also used in the 'Reflections' LP montage!
    Name:  Diana-Ross-And-The-Supremes-Reflections-Front-Cover-42182.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  89.0 KB

LOL! What a hot mess that Vol. 3 was, honey.

Greatest Hits Vol 3

I totally agree that album was a mess, which is why they had to add in "Love Is Here and Now Your Gone" as well as the "The Happening" both number one hits with Ballard's vocals on both tracks, or they could have added some of their b sides like "The Beginning of the End" featuring Syretta , Mary and Cindy and the ever popular "He's My Sunny Boy" featuring Mary & Cindy on backup vocals. the concept cover was thoughtless.l
    Last edited by franjoy56; 01-15-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: missing wordsg

Speaking of the REFLECTIONS LP cover, isn't there something about how a few copies were printed with a different cover featuring Flo [[and Cindy?) but they had stickers put over them or something? Was there ever a cover for the REFLECTIONS LP that featured Flo?

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Speaking of the REFLECTIONS LP cover, isn't there something about how a few copies were printed with a different cover featuring Flo [[and Cindy?) but they had stickers put over them or something? Was there ever a cover for the REFLECTIONS LP that featured Flo?
    I've only seen a small picture of the "Reflections" LP album cover featuring Flo and Cindy. I know some people have said they have the Flo/Cindy one with the new cover pasted over it. I don't think there ever was a version of "Reflections" that featured just Florence on the cover. The one thing I don't understand though is why even created one with Florence in the first place. The "Reflections" album wasn't completed until early 1968. Florence had been gone for roughly 8 months. They had already been recording Diana, Mary and Cindy in the studio, new gowns were sized for Cindy, Cindy had already been announced as the new Supreme and made TV appearances plus there was no sign whatsoever of Florence returning. Why would they include her on the album cover when it was clear that she was never coming back. Maybe miscommunication between Motown and the art department?

Brad, the latter seems to be evident. In my record company days errors like that were made every now and then. Pure lack [[or late) communication. But in the case of the Most Succesful Girl Group Of All Times it shouldn't have happened!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

I've only seen a small picture of the "Reflections" LP album cover featuring Flo and Cindy. I know some people have said they have the Flo/Cindy one with the new cover pasted over it. I don't think there ever was a version of "Reflections" that featured just Florence on the cover. The one thing I don't understand though is why even created one with Florence in the first place. The "Reflections" album wasn't completed until early 1968. Florence had been gone for roughly 8 months. They had already been recording Diana, Mary and Cindy in the studio, new gowns were sized for Cindy, Cindy had already been announced as the new Supreme and made TV appearances plus there was no sign whatsoever of Florence returning. Why would they include her on the album cover when it was clear that she was never coming back. Maybe miscommunication between Motown and the art department?
    I have the "paste over" cover, but as I recall it's the back cover art only which was modified and pasted over. I remember being able to see the same text - in slightly different or larger font type - on the cover underneath, with the headings "Reflections of how life used to be..." or however it was worded on the liner notes. Can anyone verify it was only the back cover art which needed to be changed?

I have the "paste over" cover, but as I recall it's the back cover art only which was modified and pasted over. I remember being able to see the same text - in slightly different or larger font type - on the cover underneath, with the headings "Reflections of how life used to be..." or however it was worded on the liner notes. Can anyone verify it was only the back cover art which needed to be changed?
    Kenneth...a good friend of mine also has the "pasted over" version of "Reflections." I believe that you are right. It only looks like it was the back cover that was redone. I remember trying to see if the original back mentioned Florence and if that might have been the reason for the new back overlay. But, both versions just mention Diana's good friends Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. Who knows. Maybe it's one of those mysteries like the 2 back covers for "The Supremes At The Copa," or "The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart." Go figure!

Unless I'm mistaken, it should have been the front cover which should have had to be pasted over. Supposedly, there are copies that have both Flo and Cindy on the front cover. I've never seen one in person, only on old Motown 45 sleeves.

As Brad wrote, it doesn't make sense that Flo would have been on the cover, considering the 1968 release date.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Kenneth...a good friend of mine also has the "pasted over" version of "Reflections." I believe that you are right. It only looks like it was the back cover that was redone. I remember trying to see if the original back mentioned Florence and if that might have been the reason for the new back overlay. But, both versions just mention Diana's good friends Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. Who knows. Maybe it's one of those mysteries like the 2 back covers for "The Supremes At The Copa," or "The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart." Go figure!
    Interesting to say the least. It seems like a waste of money if it was only to update the back, especially if Flo wasn't mentioned. Maybe it had something to do with Diana's age. My copy says Diana was 22 years old, when she actually about to turn 24.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Interesting to say the least. It seems like a waste of money if it was only to update the back, especially if Flo wasn't mentioned. Maybe it had something to do with Diana's age. My copy says Diana was 22 years old, when she actually about to turn 24.
    As I recall, it was the photos which had to be changed as some of the photos were with Florence and included in the album art in error. I remember looking through at the text below and it seemed to be the same.

As I recall, it was the photos which had to be changed as some of the photos were with Florence and included in the album art in error. I remember looking through at the text below and it seemed to be the same.
    Nope...the photo on the back was the same. I was a crazy kid! I checked it all out. It was more the layout and a different font size. The text was the same. Who knows why Florence was in some of the shots of the original cover collage. As Mary and Diana have said many times, maybe they weren't sure if Florence was coming back at that point and Cindy was a temporary replacement. So, maybe they didn't want Florence entirely erased from history. But, by the time the album was released maybe they were sure that Cindy was to be a permanent member and redid the cover? Just a guess...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Nope...the photo on the back was the same. I was a crazy kid! I checked it all out. It was more the layout and a different font size. The text was the same. Who knows why Florence was in some of the shots of the original cover collage. As Mary and Diana have said many times, maybe they weren't sure if Florence was coming back at that point and Cindy was a temporary replacement. So, maybe they didn't want Florence entirely erased from history. But, by the time the album was released maybe they were sure that Cindy was to be a permanent member and redid the cover? Just a guess...
    Oh, that really is strange. I assumed that's why it was pasted over, to replace the Florence photos! So was the front cover pasted over as well in some batches then? Now I have to dig out my old copies and look at them again.

"Sunshine" was released May 26, 1969
    "Together" was released September 23, 1969
    "Cream" was released November 3, 1969
    "Broadway" was released November 7, 1969
    "Vol. 3" was released December 18, 1969
    "Farewell" was released April 13, 1970
    "Right On" was released April 26, 1970

While "Right On" obviously was not a Diana Ross record, that is 7 Supremes releases in one calendar year.
    Thanks marybrewster, for this information. Good to have it on hand.

you also have to remember Flo had just settled with motown in march of 68, for the big settlement and had signed with ABC by this time, she was no longer a part of the Motown family, and Berry had closed the door to Flo and any contacts with the Supremes, but shortly after Mary had invited her to the Gordy mansion as you may all have read months later, the Reflections album came out a month or so after Flo had settled with Motown..

Franjou56, what has this got to do with anything?

the reflections album and the cover

i am stating facts, the timeline between the two, yes flo had been out of the group for several months and people were wondering why the pics of Flo were ever taken, others stated maybe she was coming back, others stated other views, but i mentioned Flo had signed her release from motown a month before the album came out and all ties were cut from supremes and Flo. this is only coincidence in what happened here that is all.

Supposedly, there are copies that have both Flo and Cindy on the front cover. I've never seen one in person, only on old Motown 45 sleeves.
    I don't suppose anyone has a scan of/link to this, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I don't suppose anyone has a scan of/link to this, do they?
    You'll probably have to search the archives. But I know such a scan was shown in a thread on this topic before.

Thanks - I'll look for it and post it back here if I can find it. My first search for "Reflections cover" wasn't very fruitful yet, I'm afraid...

ETA: I found this:
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1161370089

uptight Guest
    Maybe Flo's image was going to be used out of respect to her and Supremes fans before her lawsuits against Motown. At least one tune with Flo [["What The World Needs Now Is Love") was included, possibly for the same reason [[out of respect for her and the fans).

Or was the advertisement in the 45 sleeve was just an early mock-up with Flo's image as a temporary placeholder? I doubt if any front covers with Flo were even printed in the factory. And pasting over a front cover would have been difficult because all of Motown's albums covers wrapped around the back cover [[while the back artwork was pasted on as a square sheet, covering up the corner seams). I, too, have a monaural Reflections cover with the back cover paste-over. Like jeff9nyc said, it was really just a font size change and a picture re-size. In my opinion, including a picture of Flo on Reflections would have still been appropriate, since she is heard on "What The World Needs Now Is Love." And a new perspective I have had on the title track is that it could be about Flo's time with the group [["Reflections of the way life used to be..."). That makes the lyrics seem more bittersweet.

Regarding the Greatest Hits cover, the "sticker" on the upper left wasn't really a sticker but part of the cover art and was likely covered up for one of those CD versions.

Also, I didn't realize "Love Is Here" and "The Happening" were duplicated on the GH Vol 2 [[white cover) LP and there were only 11 tracks instead of the usual 12. No wonder I never bought this album. There was nothing special about it, made for the casual fan.

great album art work Brad,thanks.enjoy your mock covers,some are better than the originals

Interesting too that both pictures used on the GHV3 cover were already used on the Reflections LP.....

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I thought I would redesign the "Greatest Hits - Vol. 3" album cover to look like Marvin Gaye's and Smokey & the Miracles' Greatest Hits - Vol. 2 albums. I could have done a lot better with it, but I just threw it together. Much better than the original design. Enjoy!

Name:  Greatest Hits - Vol. 3 [[watermark).jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  57.4 KB
    Bradsupremes,
    This design is great. Is it available without the watermark? I'd love to have one. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    One of the reasons GH3 didn't do so well, it was out there at the same time as Together, Cream of the Crop and GIT. Gordy flooded the market on Ross for her farewell. The lps competed and none did very well.

Love Is Here and The Happening were included to add more No.1's on the set. Gonna Make You Love Me I guess just didn't occur to anyone since it was duet. Back then, they didn't mix this stuff up like it is done now. Also, The Young Folks was gratefully left off. GH3 truly is a weak lp and the cover purely third rate
    According to my dad, The Young Folks single did very well in Youngstown, Ohio and northeastern Ohio. WHOT, the top AM Pop station in Y-town played it during the summer of 1969 and it began to take off in terms of local sales. But Motown eventually pulled back on promotion. However, if DRATS would have done a concert in Youngstown, they probably would have been asked to perform it because some people knew it.