[REMOVE ADS]

Ain't No Place Like Motown [[Velvelettes)

Hi, guys. I've got some observations [[questions?) regarding the Velvelettes' "Ain't No Place Like Motown" from Cellarful of Motown / Velvelettes Motown Anthology.

First, I'm wondering who's on harp...I'm guessing Shorty Long, since it lacks the finesse of Stevie.

Starting at 2:30 into the song, there's at least one male singing backing vocals...any idea who it is?

At 2:47, there's a sound like a grandfather clock chime / toy piano [[missed a note on the vibes, maybe?).

Overall, a fun little song. I love the end where the girls sing a capella and the song fades out.

need a copy of this.cant find it yet

VCQ

The accapella vocals were added by Harry and his team...isn't it just the most wonderful intro.

I'll ask Cal direct before I add my two pence worth

Davidh....me and you are gonna have words! *Smile*

From Cal

I would say that this recording was done so quickly, and because the Velvelettes were thought of as more like a choir in the beginning when we first arrived at Motown [[there were 5 of us), the producer wanted to record this particular song with the Velvelettes. It was a very enlightening experience and we had lots of fun recording it! We were hoping for it to be used in the 50 year anniversary celebration for both radio and TV advertisement because the lyrics sum it all up . . . "ain't no place like Motown," and the Funk Brothers are playing the instruments, along with a variety of other studio musicians.

is this on any of the motown singles collections.cant find it on itunes...darn,always liked this one

The only two places I know of are on Cellarful of Motown and the Velvelettes' Motown Anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    is this on any of the motown singles collections.
    Only on Cellarful of Motown and the Motown Anthology...both indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Who are the male voices in the background?!?
    Multi-tracked John Lester?

VCQ

Didn't you think Cal answered all your questions in detail? Maybe just like a politician!

*smile*

Eammon

Your talents are wasted here, you should be on stage...

Sweeping it!

LOLOL