[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Sings "Stormy Weather"!

Mary Wilson is still reigning Supreme! Here she is performing a great rendition of "Stormy Weather":

This is perfect for Mary! Her voice keeps getting better and better! I wish she would record a jazz album.

I agree! Mary sounds superb, like the true songstress she is. This show was made for New York! It has to come here......

Mmmm. IMO Mary still lacks a touch of subtlety. Stormy Weather asks for a few 'whispers' here and there, but Mary shouts herself through the whole song. Not my cup of tea, not to any jazz standard. Ignore me if you don't like what I say.

I like Mary.....but.......did NOT like the dude who was singing with her. I found his voice distracting from Mary and the song.

Maybe the guy singing with her was all wrong, maybe it was the wrong song, maybe it was the wrong key but it was not good.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Mmmm. IMO Mary still lacks a touch of subtlety. Stormy Weather asks for a few 'whispers' here and there, but Mary shouts herself through the whole song. Not my cup of tea, not to any jazz standard. Ignore me if you don't like what I say.
    No problem

I love Mary Wilson. It is obvious she was not prepared enough to perform this song with this group at that time. It takes some time.

Penny

It's good to not forget how we're seeing this; an out-of-focus audience video with a home video camera's audio capabilities is probably not the best way to judge any performance and it undoubtedly made a different impression in the actual live venue it was intended for. Regardless, it's always nice to hear Mary and I thought it was pretty great...

The gentleman dueting with Mary here reminds me of Billy Eckstine during his latter years somewhat. I think they sound great together.

I wanted to judge this before seeing other comments on the forum and I like it. I agree that when you seen an out of focus pic it takes away from the performer so I listened to it NOT looking and it and I think that it suits Mary well.

atcsm Guest
    Bless her..........

Quote Originally Posted by atcsm View Post
    Bless her..........
    Amen, Mary Wilson has truly been blessed!

Thanks again Marv2,i love it,i'v seen Mary sing Stormey Weather before,it was in the play Sophisticated Ladies,Starring Miss Mary Wilson.[[smile)
    Please stay positive

Hmmmm bit of disrespect,and a touch of ignorance, going on here. The gentleman Mary is performing with here is the legendary Georgie Fame. This is from a performance on her recent UK tour with Bill Wyman & His Rhythm Kings.Mary was singled out in many reviews as being the highlight of the shows. [[please dont bother to comment back if you are going to knock her)

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Hmmmm bit of disrespect,and a touch of ignorance, going on here. The gentleman Mary is performing with here is the legendary Georgie Fame. This is from a performance on her recent UK tour with Bill Wyman & His Rhythm Kings.Mary was singled out in many reviews as being the highlight of the shows. [[please dont bother to comment back if you are going to knock her)
    Thank you for that additional information. I've heard of Georgie Fame, but again the quality of the clip is not the best. They sound great together in my opinion.

I too like the way Mary does this. It's hard to discern but she looks a little slimmed down here

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    I thought I recognized Georgie's voice [[Yeh, Yeh; Get away; Ballad of Bonnie & Clyde; Rosetta with Alan Price), but didn't dare to utter his name because of the poor video quality. I have seen him most recently on the show of Jools Holland.
    However, Stormy Weather is not a belting song.
    I, too, love Mary Wilson, but why isn't she better advised about the choice of arrangements? In the case that she isn't being advised at all, I would advise Mary to put more balance and refinement into her songs [[beware: I don't say: her shows, as I haven't seen a whole show yet). The days of big gowns, big hair and big voices are over. Maybe Mary should take into account a bit more... her admiration for Nancy Wilson.

this is a really good interview with Mary Wilson about the Lena Horne Project and John Gavin. Mary must be honored to be a part of this she talks about how it came about and the historical aspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6mXEFPOSI