[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Classic star speaks out against sampling

Kim Novak, star of Vertigo, among other classics, has caused a brouhaha by an ad she placed in Variety speaking out against the movie The Artist for lifting the love theme from Vertigo and placing it in the film. She gave an interview today to BBC expanding on her thoughs. I guess it's safe to presume she would be against sampling. At the end of the interview, she makes an impassioned plea for artists to strive to be original.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16518698

Isn't this like...an old issue of two decades ago?

I don't know how the laws are in the U.K., but here in the U.S., you must pay royalties to any artist you sample in your own work.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Isn't this like...an old issue of two decades ago? I don't know how the laws are in the U.K., but here in the U.S., you must pay royalties to any artist you sample in your own work.
    What does music sampling laws have to do with using music for a movie? And what does UK laws have to do with US made films? You're reasoning makes no sense here. Miss Novak's rape remark causes controversy
    Washington, Jan 11 [[ANI): Rape crisis groups are angry over Kim Novak’s assertion that she has been “raped” by the makers of the Oscar contender ‘The Artist’ because the film used a score from one of her old movies.
    Read full article: http://truthdive.com/2012/01/11/Kim-...ariety-ad.html
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 01-12-2012 at 12:23 AM.