[REMOVE ADS]

How do the Supremes backing vocals hold up on the Supremes & Temptations duets..

We know how Mary & Cindy were replaced on many Supremes songs post 1967 The Composer, Forever Came Today etc, but they did sing on some lovely LP tracks like Will This be the day, I'll Set You Free,
    Bah, Bah, Bah, Keep An Eye,, Then, He's My Sunny Boy,....
    but what about the duets with The Tempts can we assume
    Mary and Cindy did all the backing vocals And Andante free, its bad enough they didn't get to do any leads while the Tempts reigned on almost every track something Flo would have had a fit over. I believe they did no something on the bonus track "Amen" any thoughts..... at least with Jean, she helped out in the background illimnating the need for the Andantes but I do hear them on the Floy Joy and Right on LP.

The Thing about the Floy Joy lp, the Andantes didn't replace the Supremes on the backing vocals, they were added backing vocals. They were also credit on the Floy Joy lp.

uptight Guest
    Sorry to inform you The Andantes are on many DRATS/Tempts studio tracks.

The Jean lead Supremes were no different. The only real difference was that as mentioned earlier, the Andantes received credit. It does not make it an easier pill to swallow because instead of replacing, they were added during the Jean years. That means nothing. If anything, the backgrounds [[Mary, Lynda, Cindy, etc.) were turned down and the Andantes turned up in the mix.

We can pick this apart until we are blue in the face but the Andantes and "others" were all over the place at Motown in the background. The most obvious album was the Jimmy Webb album.

Also, another obvious song is "Funky Broadway" from GIT on the background vocals. If Mary and Cindy are on that song they must have been singing it from another planet. However, I am happy with history as i saw it then and if Mary and Diana and Cindy had no problem with it then neither do I.

selinasian Guest
    Again, all the Blackberries [[Clydie King, Venetta Fields and Sherlie Matthews) claim to have sung on the DRATS tracks.

I believe that to be true because there seems to a different set of voices on "Someday We Will Be Together" besides Johnny Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by selinasian View Post
    Again, all the Blackberries [[Clydie King, Venetta Fields and Sherlie Matthews) claim to have sung on the DRATS tracks.

Hey, Listen up when I bought The New Birth Album back in the day I purchased it because one of the band members was from my home town and dated my sister. Never once was I aware that Susaye Greene was on it for years. In fact I never remember Susaye even being a member of the group. The same thing with the group "Dayton" there seems to be a song on their "Hot Fun In The Summertime" Lp that has Melba Moore on it if I remember correctly. Motown was not the only company doing this, its just that the SUPREMES were ever so popular and we loved them so much that it feels like we were cheated but in reality it was all about money.

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I believe that to be true because there seems to a different set of voices on "Someday We Will Be Together" besides Johnny Bristol.
    For along time the credited backing vocals for SWBT was Julia and Maxine Waters, but in the liner notes to Patrice Holloway's 'Love and desire' album, Merry Clayton claims she, Patrice and Clydie King were on it.
    I always thought it was more than just two vocalists. Whether Maxine and Julia were the original vocalists and the others were added later when it was decided to become a Supremes single rather than a Diana solo single to make it sound more like a 'group' thing I don't know.

Supremes & Tempts. and Supremes with Jean.

Well for one thing can we at least assume Mary & Cindy are on "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". It seems to me that Diana should have left the Supremes in 68, right aft "Love Child" and TCB, at least the group could have had an earlier start at equal play singing. And thank god we could at last hear Mary & Cindy with Jean on their biggest hits "UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF" AND "STONED LOVE" "FLOY JOY' and some fabulous LP tracks with Mary Cindy and Jean "Over & Over" "Now the bitter, Now the Sweet" "i wISH i WERE YOUR MIRROR" 'BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER" with their vocals coming forward. in viewing some of the tv shows like Hollywood Palace Mary & Cindy's singing sounds superb on "Day after Day" and "Im livin in Shame" the tv track with Mary and Cindy's vocals sounds better than the single.

Well, part of the reason - and a pretty big factor - that Diana couldn't just up and leave The Supremes in 66 or even in 68, was that the group was so popular that they were booked far, far in advance. Some have even said two years out.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    We know how Mary & Cindy were replaced on many Supremes songs post 1967 The Composer, Forever Came Today etc, but they did sing on some lovely LP tracks like Will This be the day, I'll Set You Free,
    Bah, Bah, Bah, Keep An Eye,, Then, He's My Sunny Boy,....
    but what about the duets with The Tempts can we assume
    Mary and Cindy did all the backing vocals And Andante free, its bad enough they didn't get to do any leads while the Tempts reigned on almost every track something Flo would have had a fit over. I believe they did no something on the bonus track "Amen" any thoughts..... at least with Jean, she helped out in the background illimnating the need for the Andantes but I do hear them on the Floy Joy and Right on LP.
    Mary and Eddie had a duet, "I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" recorded during those sessions.