[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin / Tammi + 4 Tops TV clips

Anyone know if clips of Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell [[from July 67) PLUS the 4 Tops [[from Sept 67) appearances on the Kerby Scott TV show [[WBAL Baltimore) still exist ?
    I know an earlier clip of Gene Chandler performing "Duke of Earl" on the show has survived.
    This TV show ran from around 1965 through to the 1970's.
    As well as hosting live acts [[singing or lip-syncing) and showing dancers, the show was also one of the 1st to use pre-recorded film clips of acts performing their latest releases [[such as Sly & Family Stone "Dance To The Music").
    The Kerby Scott show followed on from another locally made TV music show hosted by Buddy Deane.
    Clips from this earlier show are up on youtube ...
    …......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Hd8ps9YqQ
    ............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT_QNC6o24E
    ........... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLeAM9aNRCY
    Deane's show lasted from 1957 to 1964 and was on WJZ.

These 2 TV shows were the inspiration for the plot of the film[[s) 'Hairspray'.
    Buddy Deane's Show was segregated, though I believe it hosted the 'Negro Night' shows that were featured in the Hairspray movie.
    Last edited by jsmith; 01-09-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Attachment 4131
    No doubt Marvin & Tammi performed "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" ........

Chances are prob not, I thought local tv shows around that time period usally do not save episodes If I can recall correctly. And if they were saved they usally come from a episode where there are compilation clips. Full performance are rare.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 01-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Info on the edition of the show that the 4 Tops were on .....
    Attachment 4132
    This was the 1st 'long' version of the show & therefore a 'landmark' edition.
    If this wasn't kept for posterity then I guess none were.
    The show was recorded in the WBAL TV studio which was located in north east Baltimore i September 1967.
    Some of the support acts were local outfits, on there to 'fill out' the bill and take up some time.
    Denny & the Hitchhikers were a popular multi-ratial Baltimore act who didn't have a record deal [[that I know of anyway). Not long after this show, Denny [[a white guy) went off on his own & the group recruited Kenny Hamber to be their new lead singer.

I guess Billy Storm & the Temptests performed this ......
    Attachment 4133
    They must have been on a 'James Brown' kick at that time.

I would think that Billy Storm & the Tempests were from somewhere along the DC / New Jersey corridor.
    Anyone know exactly where ?

Another similar TV show from the 60's .... this time from DC: Teenarama .......
    A documentary has been made about the old show. See .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgjd8j582gQ
    No actual footage from the original show exists, so they have re-staged a show for inclusion in the documentary.
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Mary Wells, Martha & The Vandellas & the Supremes were all on the original show and Martha Reeves 'voiced' the documentary.
    Last edited by jsmith; 01-09-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Tempests

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I guess Billy Storm & the Temptests performed this ......
    Attachment 4133
    They must have been on a 'James Brown' kick at that time.
    Billy Storm and the Tempests were a local Baltimore band. Formed around 62, they played local clubs into 68. The clubs then looked more for smaller rock bands than 8 pc R&B horn bands.

Travelled a bit on the college circuit as far as Princeton. Opened for The Impressions in Youngstown OH and the horn section sat in when their horn section didn't make the gig due to a snow storm.

Cut a few sides written by H.N. Wagner including Apologize which has gained a measure of success in Europe 40 years later as great Northern Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Info on the edition of the show that the 4 Tops were on .....
    Attachment 4132
    This was the 1st 'long' version of the show & therefore a 'landmark' edition.
    If this wasn't kept for posterity then I guess none were.
    The show was recorded in the WBAL TV studio which was located in north east Baltimore i September 1967.
    Some of the support acts were local outfits, on there to 'fill out' the bill and take up some time.
    Denny & the Hitchhikers were a popular multi-ratial Baltimore act who didn't have a record deal [[that I know of anyway). Not long after this show, Denny [[a white guy) went off on his own & the group recruited Kenny Hamber to be their new lead singer.
    Kerby Scott was a legend in Baltimore. He had us on the show [[great promotion), then he would book you for his teen dances for no money, zippo, while he banked a great payday from the door. Live and learn.

Denny Picasso, what a character.

You would probably have to search on the underground video/DVD collectors' circuit for what you are looking for. But like someone said, there's a slim chance video from these shows were saved. But you never know...