[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Laughing Eagle is on the warpath, Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by dzMusica View Post
    Martha Reeves mental illness is more severe than people know. No one is going to perform extensively like she does and can't sing unless they are mentally unstable. Also, if they tell her not to perform she just gets mad and angry; she's in denial. Most people who know her, including her former colleagues, know that if she were to just stay home she'd just waste away.
    You are so full o shit your eyes are brown. First of all, if her voice were gone, those guys in Crystal Method would not have chosen her to sing with them. and second of all, you got some nerve calling someone mentally ill. Unlike YOU I actually do know her, and can tell you unequivocally that Martha is a completely normal and sane person and a great lady to know and talk to. Any clips of live concert performances on youtube, you see poeple yelling for her, applauding, dancing, and that's all anybody needs to know that people enjoy her. Period.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 01-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    Laughing Eagle is on the warpath, Marv.
    Dave, I am not quite sure what you mean, but this guy DzMusica is wrong! He may not like or respect Martha Reeves for whatever reason, but to come onto this forum and declare that she is severely mentally ill is just too much for me. I don't know as much about Detroit City politics anymore, but I hardly think that they would elected a clearly mentally ill person to the City Council. He is out of line.

Dz,
    I want you to tone down your opinions that don't seem to be based on anything close to the facts. Do you hang with Martha? Have you had dinner with her recently? Cool it girl, you're gettiing on my bad side.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Dz,
    I want you to tone down your opinions that don't seem to be based on anything close to the facts. Do you hang with Martha? Have you had dinner with her recently? Cool it girl, you're gettiing on my bad side.
    Thank you Ralph.

I agree wih you, Marv. Laughing Eagle is the chief of this forum, and he has spoken.

I agree wih you, Marv. Laughing Eagle is the chief of this forum, and he has spoken.
    Thank you Dave.

Marv,
    To clarify: Dave refers to me as Laughing Eagle from time to time. A name given to me by the Native American band, Xit, when I was producing them.

Marv,
    To clarify: Dave refers to me as Laughing Eagle from time to time. A name given to me by the Native American band, Xit, when I was producing them.
    I never knew that! hehehehehe! That is great, although you are Fearless Leader for most us. I remember the band Xit by the way.

Marv,
    The band explained to me, at the time, that any name with the word Eagle in it was the highest form of respect one could give to someone. I always appreciated that, even though it never quite totally translated to this white man's life. These days, Laughing Buzzard might serve me a little better.

Long as you're still laughing when you walk with the ancestors, Ralph.

In my increasingly vacuous mind, I'll pretty much laugh at anything these days, Dave.

There's a lot to laugh at, Ralph. And vacuous is good. Most of the trouble we ever got into had to do with thinking. Thinking and women, anyway. Well, thinking, women and beer. All right, thinking, women, beer and music. Something has to go.

dzMusica Guest
    Hey Peps! Well severe was the wrong word. I switched the post. I'm not saying it to bash her. This is what i'm saying. It's sort of like Whitney Houston. It's sad to see her perform and her voice just isn't there anymore. I feel embarassed when I watch the both of them. I feel bad; it's hard to watch. People go and see these people out of respect. And that is absolutely a great thing to do. It's just sad is all i'm saying. I understand that you all know her and respect her. That's good. Like I said before, Martha was the best [[female) singer they had at Motown. She could have gone way futher and sold way more records. Her 30's should have been her best time but Motown had other plans. She had it all voice, beauty, class, and moves. She was the hidden gem at Motown. She was the sleeping giant.

Harry Balk called me into his office one day. He asked if I would be interested in reviving Martha's career. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity. I had one meeting with Martha and that is as far as things went. Shortly therafter, Motown moved west and I would soon leave the company.I've wondered about that deal for years. I had some ideas I thought were quite good that I wanted to try. Life moved on.

Dz,
    Thank you for tempering your comments. And I agree with you. Martha WAS a sleeping giant at Motown.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dzMusica View Post
    This is what I can tell you! Jesus said you will know my disciples by the fruit they bear. You will also see a change 'for the Lord' in their life. Martha is still singing 'Dancing in the Street' at 70 and just recorded a track with a band called 'The Crystal Method'. Need I say more.
    You seem very self righteous and judgemental. Are you Rick Santorum?

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    You seem very self righteous and judgemental. Are you Rick Santorum?
    Aren't almost all of the threads and posts judgemental and self-righteous? You can say that about all of the threads and posts. Some of ya'll have a tendency to worship Martha. Jesus Christ is Lord over my Life!
    Last edited by dzMusica; 01-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.

And with that, we can get back on topic.

There's a lot to laugh at, Ralph. And vacuous is good. Most of the trouble we ever got into had to do with thinking. Thinking and women, anyway. Well, thinking, women and beer. All right, thinking, women, beer and music. Something has to go.
    Beer, Dave? Oh no...Not the Staff of Life...

I saw Martha last year at the Schuster Center in Ohio last year and it was unbearable. I knew what Martha's voice had become but I went out of Love and respect for one of Motown's Leading ladies.

saw her twice in the mid 70's. once billed as martha & the vandellas, and once at a private club new years eve party in an old ballroom. she had a boom box with her music on it. two drag queens lip synched behind her. her voice was in good form and she gave a short but fine performance considering the indignity of the situation. people were there to party, and many did not know who she was! after her show she wandered aimlessly. i introduced myself. we sat while others rang in the new year. she was so very pleasant, and we spent quite a long time talking. i'm sure the whole gig must have been an embarrassment for her, but she was amazingly sweet. i will never forget that evening, and the rough world show biz can be when your not riding at the top of the charts! she was quite a lady!

Love to hear your story old heart; Martha Reeves is a survivor and she must have loved to have you there that night.

How come nobody level these same complaints at this woman? And obviously somebody liked her, since this was at the height of her popularity:

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    How come nobody level these same complaints at this woman? And obviously somebody liked her, since this was at the height of her popularity:

good question. but this was the only voice that i associated with esther phillips. when this came out i was unfamiliar with her earlier work and this sounded so fine!

Motown stars attract more comment from the fans; and the bigger the star was perceived to be, the more the chance of complaints.

And we can get old; they can't.

RossHolloway Guest
    Harry Balk called me into his office one day. He asked if I would be interested in reviving Martha's career. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity. I had one meeting with Martha and that is as far as things went. Shortly therafter, Motown moved west and I would soon leave the company.I've wondered about that deal for years. I had some ideas I thought were quite good that I wanted to try. Life moved on.
    Can you give us some insight about what your plans were to "revive" Martha's career and what your meeting with Martha was like? Was it to launch Martha's solo career or pushing her and the Vandellas back into the spotlight?

Ross,
    I'm not exactly sure where Harry wanted me to take it. At the time I was thinking more of Martha as a solo artist, although it would have been entirely possible to bring the rest of the girls in for back-up. I only had one meeting with Martha, and that was in Motown's 7th floor lunchroom/lounge. I don't remember what we talked about. In all honesty, I was more than likely, somewhat unsettled. This was MARTHA REEVES and I was just an up and coming newby producer for Motown.

My plan: What I first wanted to do was a cover of Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" The arrangement would have been the key here, subsituting much of Jimmy Page's brilliant guitar work with the Detroit Symphony strings. Kind of hard to explain, but I hear it in my head. Martha would have sung the hell out of that song. But, as I mentioned earlier, nothing ever transpired. The move west was imminent and big changes were on the horizon.

RossHolloway Guest
    Ralpht- Thanks for the response. So I take it this was sometime around 1971-72? And I would have loved to hear Martha's take on Whole Lotta Love done Detroit style...so what was the state of Martha's career and relationship with Motown at this time? I've read that Martha had no idea that Motown was moving out West when she learned that the Detroit office had closed.

Yes, her voice changed. I can listnen to this anytime. Great production, great soulful delivery:

http://soundcloud.com/the-crystal-me...thod-ft-martha

Thank you, jobeterob. Unbearable, indeed.

Ross,
    I'm not entirely certain of the years. Maybe more like 1973. Martha never knew of my plans for that song. I didn't have plans for the song until after that first meeting. I was thinking of the way Martha was able to do certain things with her voice that I always liked and would have been perfect for a sort of Rock/R&B arrangement I had in mind.

I think,at that time, that Martha was being treated as sort of a stepchild. She came out of the 60s and now the 70s were more of the focus with what the Tempts, Tops, Stevie and others were putting out. Martha wasn't fitting well then. Boy, would I like to have that opportunity back.....

Esther Phillips = LOL!

Just watched the VH 1 Divas Celebrate Soul 2011 Special: it sounded like Martha had trouble breathing while singing.
    BTW: Chaka needed a lot of help from Mary J Blige in her duet, and sounded like a singer who is long past her prime.

In about 1986 Martha was hired to redo "Heat Wave" for an auto commercial [[they also had Ronnie Spector redo "Be
    My Baby") and it was for the most part a straight out copy of the original record and she sounded the same as
    the record. They had others from the 60s do their biggest hits as well. I can't remember which auto manufacturer,
    but the recordings were done as much like the original records as they could possibly get.

randy

I've not heard that auto commercial but, do you remember,a couple of years on from that, when Martha redid "Heat Wave" for Ian Levine, for his MotorCity project.

There are at least two versions. What I imagine would have been the first recording had Martha singing over a basic track that seemed to include at least some real instruments, but the more widely available version has more of the computerised Motorcity sound.

Both versions had, I believe, the same vocal....which I still feel is pretty good. Martha surges through it [[backed, I believe, by the Louvain/Marlene/ Jackie Andantes) singing in more controlled, warmer tones than on the more uninhibited, exuberant original.

I love both versions, one for representing the 60s, the other for representing the 80s/90s.

I still feel Martha puts on a good show today. She's enthusiastic, her sense of rhythm and vitality is still there, and she loves to share with an audience which will respond to her.

I'd agree with anyone that there is a variance from performance to performance.

One thing I'd like to see and hear is Martha continue to perform her old favourites, but with new arrangements.

The existing ones have been part of the act for too long now, even down to the patter.

Part of the problem is that everyone who knows her is programmed, expecting to hear the songs a certain way.

I just wonder sometimes if the problem may be in trying too hard in making today's voice sound like yesterday.

Her repertoire,presented a new way, and more suited to Martha's more mature voice, is interesting to consider.

There's life in the 'old 'girl' yet, as The Crystal Method have clearly demonstrated.

There's isn't a singer around that 40 years after their prime, is singing the way they were. Some are in better shape than others; perhaps some of those that have sang a lot like Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick are in worse shape. To me, one of the background singers, that now has a voice that is in pretty good shape for her age is Mary Wilson.

What I don't really understand is the way fans deny the obvious. One example is this Martha Reeves issue; it is so clear; 15 years ago during that Superbowl appearance, a 10 year old friend of my son's said "what was that?" and it was in reference to Martha Reeves; I will never forget it. It was a genuine "kid" comment ~ he had no idea who she was; there was no malice. But he was pretty surprised at what he heard.

Another example is the Andantes backgrounds; they are all over the place; sometimes, very early on in careers, the group got wiped and the Andantes got released.

Neither of these make any difference to how fans love the groups or the singers. But they are very real happenings.

An auto company hired several 60s singers to revise one of their hits for its TV commercials. Martha did "Heat Wave"
    and it was done to sound like the original record and she sounded very much the same. This was around 1986.
    Can't recall the car, Mercury, I think, and I don't remember who all did a song, but I know Ronnie Spector also
    did "Be My Baby" and a good job was done sounding like the original hit.
    So, yes, Martha HAS sounded like she did on 1963's "Heat Wave" since the year 1970.

smark21 Guest
    Ronnie Spector also did a Be My Baby bit on the Eddie Money hit "Take Me Home Tonight" back in the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Yes, her voice changed. I can listnen to this anytime. Great production, great soulful delivery:

http://soundcloud.com/the-crystal-me...thod-ft-martha
    I REALLY like that song and Martha's singing on it! How about that? Martha Reeves with a new recording in 2012! Life is good! "Life's Been Good to Me" as well, hehehehehehe! Eat ya hearts out! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There's isn't a singer around that 40 years after their prime, is singing the way they were. Some are in better shape than others; perhaps some of those that have sang a lot like Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick are in worse shape. To me, one of the background singers, that now has a voice that is in pretty good shape for her age is Mary Wilson.

What I don't really understand is the way fans deny the obvious. One example is this Martha Reeves issue; it is so clear; 15 years ago during that Superbowl appearance, a 10 year old friend of my son's said "what was that?" and it was in reference to Martha Reeves; I will never forget it. It was a genuine "kid" comment ~ he had no idea who she was; there was no malice. But he was pretty surprised at what he heard.

Another example is the Andantes backgrounds; they are all over the place; sometimes, very early on in careers, the group got wiped and the Andantes got released.

Neither of these make any difference to how fans love the groups or the singers. But they are very real happenings.
    One more time! The Andantes [[Motown's salaried studio session singers) were not on all of the Supremes recordings. The ones they were used on, they were used to back up Flo, Mary and Diane. Go read what Andy wrote again. Thank you!

Mary Wilson's voice is in EXCELLENT shape! Better than at anytime in her 50 year career.

OMG marv, let it be. When jobeterob states that Mary Wilson's voice is 'in pretty good shape'... that's a huge compliment for Mary. You really don't have to try and convince anyone that Mary's voice is in EXCELLENT shape, whether that is true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    omg marv, let it be. When jobeterob states that mary wilson's voice is 'in pretty good shape'... That's a huge compliment for mary. You really don't have to try and convince anyone that mary's voice is in excellent shape, whether that is true or not.
    thank you.

Robbert................Mary's voice has held up probably better than any of the voices of her colleagues; there is no comparison between the change in her voice and the change in Martha Reeves or Lesley Gore's voices. There has been hardly any change in Mary's compared to those and others.

What Mary Wilson and I both object to is the people that slam her and Diana Ross and even other Supremes - no matter where they do it. There are people on Youtube named Big Bear, DetroitLives313 and Oceanbound that do this to one or the other. These people are now known to many.

And of course, as many of us know, they are among us. Their conduct is reprehensible and they should not call themselves fans of the Supremes or any Supreme.

Rob... you keep pulling out that superbowl performance. I told you she had a fever of 102 while singing that, and she bent over the stair railing and threw up as she left the stage. It WAS a low point, but she has sounded much better than that of late, especially when she quit smoking. She quit I believe around 6 or 7 years ago, and yes, she does sound different... I'm not denying that... but I don't feel she sounds BAD... just different. People get old, you have to accept that, and it's true, very few singers from that day sound the same, with a few exceptions. Mary sounds great, like you said... but she certainly sounds DIFFERENT than she did in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    OMG marv, let it be. When jobeterob states that Mary Wilson's voice is 'in pretty good shape'... that's a huge compliment for Mary. You really don't have to try and convince anyone that Mary's voice is in EXCELLENT shape, whether that is true or not.
    You're right Robbert. I don't have to convince anyone because I have good ears and good taste! What do you have ?

This new review explains why Martha Reeves is still performing....
    http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenois...ert_review.php

What a great review! Thanks Loveblind!

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
    January 11, 2012
    Dakota Jazz Club

As we pulled up for another night of amazing music at the Dakota Jazz Club the cab in front of us came to an abrupt stop.

"Wow! that's Martha!" I said to my date for the night, as she and a guy in a suit carrying boxes of CD's jumped out and into the club, escaping the cold, harsh winter night.

Shortly after the lights went down in the club for the first set, the announcer introduced the band and as the opening grooves started rolling, there she was again, the legendary Ms. Martha Reeves. This time she was in a gorgeous dress and with her two back up singing sisters, The Vandellas, busting right into Van Morrison's "Wild Nights".

As her sharp and syrupy voice carried with a fierce yet loving spirit, we knew we were in for a real treat, and it quickly set the tone for the evening as the great Motown Legend indeed had finally arrived.

"I'm a bit out of breath because I just got here." she said shaking off whatever nerves she had after rushing right into the show.

"We came all the way from Detroit tonight to make love to you with music." she said with a coy grin as the band broke into the opening melodies of "Come Get these Memories." The audience was ready to go from the beginning, and clapped along while finding their own groove as her now warmed up unforgettable soulful voice found it's home on the Dakota stage. Working the room like a true professional, Martha Reeves not only managed to captivate the crowd but got good portions of the typically sedate Minnesota audience up on their feet through hit after hit.

Aside from the celebration of this fantastic music, the theme of the night was indeed "Love". As is often the theme in Motown songs and the neverending list of hits from the classic Holland-Dozier-Holland catalog which helped give Ms. Reeves her lifelong success.

"Bring the lights down to sexy for me for a bit here." she commanded, before delivering an unforgettably rich rendition of "Love [[Make Me do Foolish Things)," showing off her gospel chops and knack for heartbreaking melodies that only Martha Reeves can render. "If you're dancing with a fella, ladies, you might get dipped during this one. I know it may have been a while since some y'all gotten dipped," she joked.

The band, [[made up of half Detroit players and half hired guns for the week from the Twin Cities, which included the famed Hornheads) treated the material with precision, giving the songs their proper respect as the audience couldn't get enough. For music that is now standard Americana, it wasn't lost on anyone that this was a rare chance in a lifetime to see such a famed performer and legend in such an intimate setting.

"I just turned 70 and you're telling me he's still never coming back?!" the never mic shy Ms. Reeves pleaded during a soulful version of "Jimmy Mack."

Martha thanked all of the "DJ's that ever played this song from the bottom of my heart," as things became extra charged when the opening of "[[Love Is Like a) Heatwave" chimed in. With the band carrying the groove and even the oldest in the crowd up on their feet dancing, Ms. Reeves asked everyone, "How's your love life? Is it hot, hot, hot?!"

Heating up the room all night for the what would ultimately be her trademark anthem, Martha Reeves thanked everyone in the crowd for coming with an extended "Dancing in the Street" that at times coalesced into other old school jams including Rufus Thomas' "Funky Chicken" and knocking everyone out with James Brown's "I Got that Feeling," making for truly one of the best shows this audience has ever witnessed.

After the set, Martha Reeves stepped out into the crowd with her crew, this time in a bathrobe, meeting fans and thanking everyone for coming before they would do it all again for the second set of the night.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, as much as there is great new music everyday and all over the world one should never sleep on living legends. Take advantage of the chances of a lifetime like the one Martha Reeves and the Vandellas provided last night and again for two sets tonight at the Dakota. You will not be disappointed, and your life will be changed forever.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas play 2 sets again tonight at the Dakota Jazz Club, 7pm and 9pm. 612-332-1010

Critic's Bias: Having never seen anyone from the Motown era perform before, I was giddy for the opportunity to hear these treasured songs live from such a stellar performer.

The Crowd: Booming Grannies who never sat down, showing the ability of great old school music to warm the heart and souls of its listeners and to make them move and groove.

Overheard in the Crowd: "Where's Jimmy Mack? I think I just saw him in the can!"

Random Notebook Dump: Holy moly! One the best singers I'd seen in a long time, if not ever.

Setlist:
    Wild Nights
    Come and Get these Memories
    Nowhere to Run
    Love[[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
    Jimmy Mack
    Watch Your Back
    [[Love is like a) Heatwave
    My Baby Loves Me
    Dancing in the Street

Tags:
    concert review, Dakota Jazz Club, Martha Reeves, setlist, The Vandellas