[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope, what Diana Ross did that night when she said that was show the World her true colors along with lying about the songs Mary sings being HER songs! Some people cannot tell the Emperor that he has no clothes on.....I can!
    I suppose that singing I Will Survive for over 15 years does not matter. Is that not Gloria Gaynor's signature and intial hit?

And I Will Survive is so popular in concert; it gets the biggest reaction along with Stop in the Name of Love and Baby Love. But is sure is heavy on that background. If there was ever a Supremes reunion that would be a real opportunity to have a real jam session that was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I suppose that singing I Will Survive for over 15 years does not matter. Is that not Gloria Gaynor's signature and intial hit?
    Detmotownguy... "I Will Survive" is certainly Gloria's signature hit, but not her initial hit. "Never Can Say Goodbye" was her first big hit. Then "Casanova Brown" hit number on on the disco chart, then she had "I Will Survive". That song gets such a big reaction because it was one of the top 5 biggest hits of the 70's. It gets that same reaction whether Diana or Gloria is singing it.

and Gloria got her first big hit by doing a cover version of Motown's "Never Can Say Goodbye", which was originally meant for the 70's Supremes[[which is why Jean Terrell brought the song to Motown in the first place) but wound up with the Jackson 5;
    so one good cover version deserves another...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and Gloria got her first big hit by doing a cover version of Motown's "Never Can Say Goodbye", which was originally meant for the 70's Supremes[[which is why Jean Terrell brought the song to Motown in the first place) but wound up with the Jackson 5;
    so one good cover version deserves another...
    ...and Diane got her first big hit by doing a cover version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"! Marvin and Tammi's was the best version because they did the majority of the singing on their record......

Funny you bring that up Marv I was just thinking recently of Diana's version "Ain't Mountain" and how it took me years to appreciate it, I always thought it was a weird version in my younger days. I was in high school during the 90s and I remember they played her version at the prom and I heard one of my friends saying "What the hell kind of song is this?".