[REMOVE ADS]

Supreme TV Appearances

We know that the Andantes sang background to Diana Ross on a lot of Supremes songs. What about TV appearances? I know that sometimes they all lipsynched. Most times Diana was "live" and the backgrounds were pre-recorded. Did Mary, Florence, and Cindy record these backgrounds?
    Last edited by skooldem1; 01-03-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Hi skooldem1 I think mary and cindy recorded background for their ed sullivan appearances where they sang, In and out of love and when they sang love child for the second time in 1969.
    Florence and Mary done you can't hurry love background on ed sullivan too I think.

Livin'in shame on hollywood palace is also cindy and mary "I hope LOL".

Maybe someone can change the andantes background vocals for mary and cindy's recorded backgrounds on the single versions. Goin into realm of fantasy LOL.

Sometimes the backgrunds were prerecorded... most times they were not. Mary and Flo and Cindy just had a boom mic right above their heads, right out of the camera shot.

I've never heard the Andantes doing the background vocals for Mary, Florence and Cindy on a TV appearance. I'm pretty sure the only time we hear the Andantes on a TV appearance is when the group lip-synchs to the record. Other than that, it's all Mary, Florence, and Cindy.

anyone know which tv appearances were actually live? agree that the andantes didn't do the tv vocals, unless they were just using the 45. but for You Can't Hurry Love on Sullivan, was that live for all 3? clearly diana is.

They are live on the Claude Francois "Studio 102" TV. show and the backgrounds are pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    They are live on the Claude Francois "Studio 102" TV. show and the backgrounds are pathetic.
    I would have to agree. The backing vocals are not very audible, I don't think Mary and Cindy's mics are turned on.

I would have to say for the sake of argument and logic that if they didn't fly Mary and Cindy or Flo in for recordings because of cost why would they fly the Andantes to performances.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I would have to say for the sake of argument and logic that if they didn't fly Mary and Cindy or Flo in for recordings because of cost why would they fly the Andantes to performances.
    Good point. Although you could also say for the sake of argument that it wouldn't be hard to find anonymous session singers in NY or CA, where most of the tv appearances took place. Or if there is enough time, to overnight a tape to Detroit.

That said, the only time that I hear extra voices in when DMC performed WHERE DO I GO/GOOD MORNING STARSHINE on Hollywood Palace, and when JMC performed EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE on Glen Campbell. During each, I could hear male voices in the background.
    Last edited by reese; 01-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.

You are dead on and I remember hearing extra voices on GIT on Funky Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Good point. Although you could also say for the sake of argument that it wouldn't be hard to find anoynmous session singers in NY or CA, where most of the tv appearances took place. Or if there is enough time, to overnight a tape to Detroit.

That said, the only time that I hear extra voices in when DMC performed WHERE DO I GO/GOOD MORNING STARSHINE on Hollywood Palace, and when JMC performed EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE on Glen Campbell. During each, I could hear male voices in the background.

Now don't quote me on this, but after watching the "hits" medley on the Supremes last performance on Sullivan [[with Diana), when Cindy trips, it's not on Diana's microphone cord, I'm pretty sure it's on Marlene Barrrow's feet.

And if you look under Mary's batwings during the "Someday" performance, I am almost certain you can see Julia Waters.

Of course. I already reported the Andantes were under their dresses on TCB.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Of course. I already reported the Andantes were under their dresses on TCB.

Why couldn't they just stand out in front of the public and sing as their own group?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why couldn't they just stand out in front of the public and sing as their own group?
    Because Diane would not let them sing her songs........

I dont think Motown valued the Andantes as a group; I don't think they had the style or look of the Supremes nor did they have a Diana Ross or Martha Reeves. But the Andantes were a group and did get a release but it truly wasn't very special.

They were special as background singers; on more Motown releases than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Because Diane would not let them sing her songs........
    Ah, hehehehehehehe........!

Goodness Marv you are slipping. And the public already knew Mary and Flo's faces. Now however I am hearing sinister rumblings. Remember those maks in Mission Impossible? Well guess what? Jackie and Marlene wore Mary and Flo masks. Actually Mary and Flo were never Supremes at all. Sad but we must speak the truth.

Goodness Marv you are slipping. And the public already knew Mary and Flo's faces. Now however I am hearing sinister rumblings. Remember those maks in Mission Impossible? Well guess what? Jackie and Marlene wore Mary and Flo masks. Actually Mary and Flo were never Supremes at all. Sad but we must speak the truth.
    and here I am spending all this time hanging around Mary Wilson thinking she was real Supreme! I want a refund! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    and here I am spending all this time hanging around Mary Wilson thinking she was real Supreme! I want a refund! LOL!!!!
    ....and hence all those songs, in fact all 18 number one hits were really Diana Ross solo records as lightly referred to in her recent concert promo material.

R U serious dmot?? Actually Louvain wore the Diana mask so Diane was never on the songs either.

R U serious dmot?? Actually Louvain wore the Diana mask so Diane was never on the songs either.
    Berry Gordy was smarter than I thought; a completely interchangeable group.

Exactly-and Pat Lewis for Cindy!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    ....and hence all those songs, in fact all 18 number one hits were really Diana Ross solo records as lightly referred to in her recent concert promo material.
    You know, I've noticed that too. With that many solo number ones, that puts Diane right up there with the big girls! Wow!