[REMOVE ADS]

The makings of you - new syleena, curtis, gladys, angie, aretha, lauren, joe, monica

marv posted Gladys and the Pips' version of The Makings Of You on the Gladys thread. Written by Curtis, here are some versions - great song and wonderful orchestration which has been sampled. Personal favourites are either Gladys or Curtis - nice to see Syleena has only just recorded this as a personal tribute to Gladys.[[ I refuse to post Kanye West and Jay-Z - Curtis would abhor such crass vulgarity and the desecration of his love song - demonstrates all too well what went wrong.)

SYLEENA

CURTIS

CURTIS LIVE

GLADYS and PIPS

ANGIE

ARETHA

LAUREN

JOE [[ SAMPLED STRINGS AND GLADYS VOCAL)

MONICA

DIONNE FARRIS - LIVE

RICHIE HAVENS

SAM SINGLETON

RON ISLEY - ISLEY BROTHERS

INSTRUMENTAL - SAMPLES
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 01-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.

One of my all time favorite Curtis Mayfield compositions. Beautiful melody. I have the versions by Aretha, Angie Stone,
    Lauryn Hill, Gladys Knight and of course Curtis himself but this is the first I've heard of Syl Johnson not so little anymore
    baby girl [[mercy!) and she did a nice job with it too. I completely agree with you on Jay Z and Kanye West, what they
    did to Otis Redding's Try A Little Tenderness was a crime and I still don't get why they are so heralded. O well, to each
    it's reach...

I second splanky's post. I have all of those versions too ,but Curtis and Glady's versions are perfection. The song itself is a masterpiece of lyrics and the arrangement is awesome. To really appriciate the beauty of the backing track of Curtis original , you have to check out track 15 on RHINOs expanded reissue of the album "CURTIS". It's take #32 ,the full orchestra was there being recorded. That's the real deal right there ,they don't do that anymore now and that's why the music of that era is so unique. This track alone is beautiful and haunting.