[REMOVE ADS]

Motown TV Specials

Hi

I think this was discussed a couple of years ago, so if it was, please excuse me!

I was wondering if anyone had a complete list of TV Speiclas that Motown produced. Did people have a personal favourite? Do we think these may ever see the light of day as official dvd releases?

Just off the top of my head, and to get the list gong:

Diana Ross and The Supremes with The Tempations:
    TCB [[1968)
    On Broadway [[1969)

Diana Ross:
    Diana! [[1971)
    An Evening With Diana Ross [[1976)

The Temptations:
    The Temptations Show [[1969)

The Jackson 5:
    Going Back To Indiana [[1971)

Multi-Artist:
    Motown 25 [[1983)
    Motown Returns to The Apollo [[1985)

Is anyone aware of Motown Returns To The Apollo being released commercially? I had recorded it as I was watching it and suspect that my ex-wife may not have valued it as much as I did when we took different forks in the road. A couple of years ago I purchased what I thought was a copy only to discover that it was incomplete, and the sub-titles were in Japanese. Not a problem per se, I was just wondering if the whole show was available.

There was a Smokey Robinson special in 1970.

Also, there two Motown Christmas specials. A MOTOWN MERRY CHRISTMAS aired on NBC in the late 80s. There was another that aired on [[I think) the USA network sometime in the 2000s. I never taped it, as it was suppsoed to be released soon after on dvd. It never was, and I kick myself to this day. I remember Thelma Houston doing a great performance of PLEASE COME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS.

To my knowledge, the Apollo special was never released on home video, at least not in the USA. I'm not sure about other areas.

BTW: I don't know for sure if the Tempts' special from 1969 was produced by Motown. It was syndicated, and the album says "A Screen Gems Production".

Two unproduced specials included "The Supremes In the Orient" from 1966 and I've heard rumors that the Farewell show in 1970 was originally filmed with the intention of becoming a network special, but plans fell through on that.

What about:

Motown 30: What's Goin' On
    Motown 40: The Music is Forever
    Motown 45

Not to beat a dead horse, but did Motown miss the boat by not doing something for their 50th? You'd think that after doing a 25th, 30th, 40th, and 45th that a 50th would be a no-brainer.....

I think there was also a Smokey Robinson Special in the mid-80's? I don't know for certain, but I would assume that it was Motown produced.....

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think there was also a Smokey Robinson Special in the mid-80's? I don't know for certain, but I would assume that it was Motown produced.....
    He had the series "THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING..." in the summer of 1985.

Was the 1974 "Supremes Discover Japan" TV special produced by Motown? It was supposed to air on ABC in the States.

Reese:

The Christmas Special w/ Thelma Houston WAS released on DVD, but not in this country. I'll have to dig it up to find out where it was released.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Was the 1974 "Supremes Discover Japan" TV special produced by Motown? It was supposed to air on ABC in the States.
    I don't think so. Most likely, it was produced by a Japanese network.

The Smokey Robinson Special from 1970 on ABC was a favorite.