[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Deluxe Editions - Should We Keep Going In Chronological Order?

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on the subject of continuing the series of Supremes 2 disc deluxe editions in chronological order of release [[which means At The Copa would be next), rehab all the studio albums first [[which means I Hear A Symphony comes next) then go back to the live, TV special, and specialty discs, or should we request that Andy, George, and Harry do a later album like Love Child or Let The Sunshine In first. According to what we can gather, sales on the albums tapered off post 1967 if chart positions can be believed so that might indicate interest in these limited editions would wane after we get through the major sellers like Symphony, A Go Go, and Sing HDH.

Your thoughts? And if we skip around, what would you like next since I'm sure Harry and company will take a peak at this?

Discuss....

rehab the studio albums ... i might not be alive till they get to the two i really want "a go-go" and "sing h/d/h" ... and i'll happily buy "symphony" so we can get there and fast!

I wouldn't mind skipping around only because if we do I Hear A Symphony next, despite my love for it, I feel like we got a psuedo extention of that era when we got There's A Place For Us several years back. Of course, I say this before knowing what treasures and alternates are left in the vault. The best part of this series for me has been the historical context these albums have been placed into by the bonus material. Particularly since I wasn't alive to experience these albums at their initial release so the albums I have liked less than others like Meet The Supremes have risen in stature thanks to their reissue treatment. At The Copa doesn't have much in the way of extra material besides From This Moment On and Enjoy Yourself and supposedly the tapes had sound issues requiring Diana to rerecord all her vocals so I'm not sure how they'd expand that beyond Mono and Stereo. The two I'm dying for are A Go Go and Cream Of The Crop if we do skip. Then again those are two of the first three Supremes albums I got as a child from Goodwill so that may sway my judgement....
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 12-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.

I believe they are sticking to keeping things in chronological order. I personally would like to see the next Supremes studio album expanded edition to be one from the Diana-Mary-Cindy years since little has been released on that line-up regarding Hip-O Select, but I would hate to see them stop after the big sellers..."I Hear A Symphony," "A Go-Go," "Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland" were done which I don't think that will be the case.

The album I am most excited to see get the expanded edition treatment is "Reflections." I think it will have the most interesting timeline regarding the transition period between Florence to Cindy as well as from the Supremes to Diana Ross & the Supremes. Plus I think it will have an interesting song selection regarding the bonus tracks. It's a very interesting album for historic purposes regarding a huge change in the group and at Motown.

I'd prefer chronological studio releases but mostly want them to simply come faster and/or in bigger batches - maybe two at a time as we go forward? Clearly a lot of work goes into these and I don't want to rush that but a release every six months or so would suit me just fine. And I'd be all for combining some by theme, too; putting AT THE COPA/LIVE AT TALK OF THE TOWN/FAREWELL into one 3-disc release, for example.

Because of what another poster mentioned about "There's a Place For Us," I'd love to go out of order and get a great expanded edition of "Love Child," their strongest later LP. That album has so much great material, and hopefully there's other things in the vaults from this era, either alternate takes or possibly a few unreleased songs.

I think it'd also be great to get a "Live at the Copa" combined with "Live at the Talk of the Town" or other live material. The LPs on these must have been quite edited from what I've read.

And finally, although it's been expressed several times on other threads, I believe the special concept LPs would be nice to have together, including "Sam Cooke," "Liverpool," "Country and Western," "Funny Girl" and even "Sings Disney" [[in my opinion the weakest of the lot by far). I think these albums are all fairly brief, so two CDs might even be able to handle the whole set.

A "concept" CD set would be great!

honest man Guest
    oh yes keep the studio albums priority though would love IHAS jump to reflections album onwards, but whatever comes first will buy, love them ,thanks again to all involved, cheers.

where is the love for "a go-go" and "sing h/d/h", perhaps their most consistent albums with, i believe plenty of out-takes? just get 'em all out fast like the smokey solos! i'll intern for free to do any grubby work!

honest man Guest
    do like those albums but a gogo really no funks etc so flat HDH maybe though a lot of these outakes appeard on lost and found cd, thats my exscuse ha, no offence we are all reading the same prayer book after all, cheers.

I actually suggested all three live albums in one package a while back, as well as the concepts package,glad to see that everyone agrees with me..and next should either be the 'live' package[[Copa/Talk Of The Town/Farewell) as THE SUPREMES: THE "LIVE" SESSIONS"
    or I HEAR A SYMPHONY-Deluxe...on with the show..

i like the chronical order theme mostly but it wouldnt bother me if they stepped out of order.
    i do agree that it would be cool to step them up a bit. RCA seems to release a new Elvis expanded edition every 4 months .
    not sure how much leftovers are left. one of the newer collections,i think LOST AND FOUND said there wasnt much left in the vaults.? the only speciality lp i really liked was WE REMEMBER SAM COOK. but hey, if there more supremes i 'll buy it no matter what.i ve always been surprised with each deluxe edition.
    also ,im pretty sure there are several out takes from COPA.....incl. Where Did Our Love Go,Nothing But Heartaches.and there was a 2nd Copa lp titled SUPREMES CATURED LIVE for 1967 but it was cancelled and another lp was released in it's place[ i think rogers and hart?]
    looking forward to 2012

I would prefer Symphony, A Go Go, and Sing HDH in order, then move to a combo concept of Sam Cook, Country and Western, and Bit Of Liverpool on a 2CD package. It actually would be OK to place in before Symphony, since it's material would be new to some, and either not available on CD, out of print, or not remastered.

I wonder if Harry and Andy have access only to the music vaults? Because what I would really prefer is for Motown to release the final performance of DRATS on DVD. This is a historic concert and it should have been made available years ago. If they say that the quality isn't so good. I'd even accept a docu type show featuring what they can salvage. They could have people talking about the event, including all the major players. Then as a bonus, they could inlclude the CD. I just don't get Motown's attitude towards releasing video footage. It makes no sense.

Forget the CDs I would like to see some DVDs of their live performances in clubs before Miss Cindy came. I would also like to see some backstage footage during the Cindy years like the Supremes in the Orient.

there was a 2nd Copa lp titled SUPREMES CATURED LIVE for 1967 but it was cancelled and another lp was released in it's place
    And wasn't there another show recorded at The Roostertail slated for release but canceled?

i like the chronical order theme mostly but it wouldnt bother me if they stepped out of order.
    If they do that, I'd want them to circle back and release the ones they skipped - I hate holes like that in collections.

I just don't get Motown's attitude towards releasing video footage. It makes no sense.
    No, it doesn't. I wonder if there's some contractual problem in regards to video...

My suggestion would be to group the albums and release 3-4 at a time, using the same format as the recent releases by The Marvelettes. Stereo and mono albums on three discs could be followed by a fourth disc with unreleased tracks [[we have been told that are none), alternate takes, etc. This would speed up the pace of these releases.

There are many ways they could be grouped, but basically sequentially. Perhaps the "concept" albums could all be together!

Seriously, Harry and Andy ... Please think about it!
    We love what you are giving us, but by releaseing only one LP at a time, it will take years.

The Marvelettes Boxed format would be a great way to go...