[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Hi, Kindle is the new way of getting books electronically instead of the old paper way. The link to it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Factory.../dp/B007C92CTY

I know it can limit how people buy things but it also allows you to self-publish, which again, can arguably open the market up to any rubbish. I hope mine isn't in that category. I'm 400 pages into another book Blueprint: A History of Funk and have written and drawn 2 parts of a 4 part comic book mini-series called Soul Man which attemots to tell the story of Soul in a fictional setting called Soul City, USA. Catch me also on Phoenix Radio, Thursday evenings 8 til 10pm [[UK time) for Soul City...2 hours of classic funk and soul. www.phoenixfm.co.uk

Frank Wilson, one of the writers and producers of 'Love Child' believed that Mary, Cindy & the Andantes was on 'Love Child'. Do all songwriters/producers always remember everything? Even HDH?

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    George and solomon have done good work to bring supremes fans tracks we have never heard and we do appreciate their efforts however, I have to agree with the conclusion that we insist that the record released on Feb 8, 1965 feature mary and Flo with other voice or voices with the supremes, but i think the bottom line is hearing it from hdh

or Mary Wilson, since they were the ones involved in the background recording of the song and Mary would certainly remember that since it was one of their biggest hits, but here is another theory

if it is true mary and flo are alone in the bkg on where did our love go, baby love, come see about me and back in my arms again, why would they replace them on sitnof which was recorded after all of the others, and before another all supremes single nothing but heartaches the only theory i see is that that they wanted the sound fuller by adding the extra [[voice). I will try to reach Mary when she is off tour and "gently" poise the question to her, i do have her email address until i hear otherwise its the supremes to my ears.
    Great points Fran. Yes those guys have done a great job releasing and re-releasing a lot of the old material [[I look forward to some on the Four Tops), but I would have to hear directly from Eddie, Brian and Lamont and perhaps other Motown personnel that were there. Mary has already said that she is on all of those records, so I am not going to bother her with this stuff again.....but Fran, YOU can ask her if you like, hehehehehehe.... I have to laugh because it's always been the Supremes to my ears until after Florence and HDH left and Motown started producing those dull, mediocre records with the bland, colorless background vocals in the late sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Frank Wilson, one of the writers and producers of 'Love Child' believed that Mary, Cindy & the Andantes was on 'Love Child'. Do all songwriters/producers always remember everything? Even HDH?
    I don't know. I do know this and that there is this woman, this musician by the name of Carol Kaye that swears that she is the one playing that famous funky bassline on Stevie Wonder's 1967 hit, "I Was Made to Love Her". There is a great clip of him performing it on Youtube. There was also a year long discussion started by some guy in favor of Ms. Kaye's claim. After a little research, we learned that the Holland Brothers and a few others confirmed that it was the legendary James Jamerson playing on that record and not Kaye! They went as far as to sign an affidavitt [[sp?) stating that and commented further that Ms. Kaye was not in the studio or even in Detroit the day they recorded that record.

So yeah, for ME, it would have to be a similar situation before I would even entertain the thought that Florence Ballard, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson are not singing together on the record, "Stop In the Name of Love".

Quote Originally Posted by HowieP View Post
    Hi, Kindle is the new way of getting books electronically instead of the old paper way. The link to it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Factory.../dp/B007C92CTY

I know it can limit how people buy things but it also allows you to self-publish, which again, can arguably open the market up to any rubbish. I hope mine isn't in that category. I'm 400 pages into another book Blueprint: A History of Funk and have written and drawn 2 parts of a 4 part comic book mini-series called Soul Man which attemots to tell the story of Soul in a fictional setting called Soul City, USA. Catch me also on Phoenix Radio, Thursday evenings 8 til 10pm [[UK time) for Soul City...2 hours of classic funk and soul. www.phoenixfm.co.uk
    Thank you for that information.

Frank Wilson, one of the writers and producers of 'Love Child' believed that Mary, Cindy & the Andantes was on 'Love Child'.
    While every case is different, Mary herself says that she's not singing on "Love Child" in her book, DREAMGIRL...

When it is Andy and George, it is like the Motown Gods have spoken.

Even Marv bows to Andrew, George, as well as his Dear Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    When it is Andy and George, it is like the Motown Gods have spoken.

Even Marv bows to Andrew, George, as well as his Dear Diane.
    It's too early in the day to be drinking Rob.....put it down.

Thanks Marv, I won't ask Mary this question since she already answered it to you in what you say, and they cannot take away what the supremes have don for us, and yes when Flo left the sound definetely changed. Do you remember how great they sounded on a bit of liverpool, more hits, sam cooke, and where did our love go, cwp and at the copa, after this it was different I hear a symphony onward had a different flavor to it mary and flo being pushed back in the music mix but it was still supreme until the very last note on the Happening.. Rogers and Hart was somewhat interesting as well. but it fell into the after I hear a symphony sound, notice how different Flo sounds on a lot of those tracks.

Thanks Marv, I won't ask Mary this question since she already answered it to you in what you say, and they cannot take away what the supremes have don for us, and yes when Flo left the sound definetely changed. Do you remember how great they sounded on a bit of liverpool, more hits, sam cooke, and where did our love go, cwp and at the copa, after this it was different I hear a symphony onward had a different flavor to it mary and flo being pushed back in the music mix but it was still supreme until the very last note on the Happening.. Rogers and Hart was somewhat interesting as well. but it fell into the after I hear a symphony sound, notice how different Flo sounds on a lot of those tracks.
    All I ever needed to hear was "Come See About Me" to be permanently convinced that they were great! Then, years later, "Stoned Love" cemented the idea for me that they were the greatest female recording group at of all time!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-26-2012 at 01:20 AM.

I certainly remember Fran and the different flavor you mentioned starting with the "I Hear A Symphony" album, is they started burying Mary and Flo in the mix, so much so until you almost had to strain or turn it up very loud to hear them. When they performed those songs live and on television, they sounded so much better, more soulful, vibrant, etc.

"The Happening" is when they sounded like a group again. It wouldn't be until "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was released did we, the people that were around me at that time started paying attention to the Supremes again as serious musical artists.

atcsm Guest
    to quote the ladies
    Oh, I'm all alone now
    No love to shield me
    Try in a world that's...
    A distorted reality

with distorted realiy being the money shot.................asshole

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I certainly remember Fran and the different flavor you mentioned starting with the "I Hear A Symphony" album, is they started burying Mary and Flo in the mix, so much so until you almost had to strain or turn it up very loud to hear them. When they performed those songs live and on television, they sounded so much better, more soulful, vibrant, etc.

"The Happening" is when they sounded like a group again. It wouldn't be until "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was released did we, the people that were around me at that time started paying attention to the Supremes again as serious musical artists.

How many songs on Right On had Supremes and how many had Andantes again?

Jean Terrell did more with the Andantes on that album than Diana did with the Andantes in the final few albums.

Have we ever weighed that equation?

Motown was equal opportunity. No short changing Jean.