[REMOVE ADS]

US vs. UK versions of Motown Songs

Thanks to the new Marvelettes collection, Forever More: The Complete Motown Albums, Vol. 2, I've heard the great version of "I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can" with the extended introduction that was included on the UK edition of Sophisticated Soul. I was wondering if there were any other differences between Motown songs that were released in the USA and the UK [[or any other territories in the World).

well, there's the UK single version of Edwin Starr's 'War' which is about 10 seconds longer with a different mix and an instrumental fade, which I don't think was ever issued in the US and hasn't yet appeared on cd to my knowledge.

Also the UK and US 45 mixes of 'Tears of a Clown' were different, with slightly different speeds I think.

Don't Mess With Bill was different. For some reason, it used the right channel only from the 'Greatest Hits' stereo L.P mix!

Marvin's Little Darling is missing the strings when compared to the U.S 45 mix, but I think it might actually be a fold down of the stereo L.P mix, as this never had strings either.

Btw, Tears Of A Clown used the 'Make It Happen stereo mix for the UK 45 IIRC.

There are several more that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 12-23-2011 at 05:02 PM.

<<Chime>>

Four Tops "A Simple Game"

Velvelettes "These Things..." with different lyrics

The UK 45 of Gladys Knight & Pips "It Should Have Been Me" has no strings as the tape for the US LP version was used.